Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New PM45 Range Test

I just don't see how the ejector has anything to do with it unless it's bent downward. The only thing it should touch is a spent casing.

Quote Originally Posted by tomwalshco View Post
    I just don't see how the ejector has anything to do with it unless it's bent downward. The only thing it should touch is a spent casing.
    I think our entries crossed in the mail. I agree with you. That bevel is pushing the cartridge forward as the magazine is inserted. Can't be anything else. The ejector isn't in the scenario.
    Should be able as you mentioned to remove the slide and watch it in slow motion safely and prove our hypotanuesus or what ever rocket scientist call our scientific wild assed guess.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal View Post
    Wouldn't that bevel push the top cartridge in the magazine forward enough to create that gap? With out it the top round would just hit that edge and may or may not get routed where it belongs. I think that little bevel is the cure. Sling shot mode would force that sharp corner behind the rim of the top round and all would be well. Followup rounds would work the same way since the slide is going full rear each shot.
    I'm just glad it seems to work for ya now.
    Good call. You're right, Bawanna'. I put a full magazine in and watched the top cartridge get shoved forward in the magazine.** It works.
    We now have several "fixes" for the DIY crowd -- "machining" your own "notch" in the slide and beveling the "stripper" part of the slide... at their own risk, of course.
    **I just tested the magazine being pushed forward by the bevel pushing on the cartidge -- that is indeed what is happening. The cartridge stays to the rear of the magazine. Where I was hearing the "crunch" before with the "squeeze" method of seating the magazine, I now get a pretty good "clack" or "snap" which sounds more "wholesome".
    Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 03-17-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Correction
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Agree - and the reason it doesn't happen on the lower rounds is that they get pulled forward from friction of the round above and stop when they hit the front of the mag. So they are already staged in the forward position.

Bawanna, I see you're looking at getting a PM45, too. Want to replace my Glock 36 (even though it's been perfect) because the Kahr is a little slimmer, lighter and smaller profile. Bud's is the best I can find new for $661, free ship. Don't have the patience to do the GunBroker tango...

So I've been reading as many bad experiences as I can find to surmise whether it's operator error, a lemon here and there, or a model that needs a bit more tweeking in the engineering department. Was hoping more happy PM45 owners would chime in.

So trout, do you think the factory just forgot to bevel that edge?

Agree - and the reason it doesn't happen on the lower rounds is that they get pulled forward from friction of the round above and stop when they hit the front of the mag. So they are already staged in the forward position.
    That is probably probably part of the equation; the slide is also moving further rearward during operation (past the point where the intial problem was occurring) allowing the subsequent rounds to move into place unhindered.
    Regards,
    Greg

Bawanna, I see you're looking at getting a PM45, too. Want to replace my Glock 36 (even though it's been perfect) because the Kahr is a little slimmer, lighter and smaller profile. Bud's is the best I can find new for $661, free ship. Don't have the patience to do the GunBroker tango...

So I've been reading as many bad experiences as I can find to surmise whether it's operator error, a lemon here and there, or a model that needs a bit more tweeking in the engineering department. Was hoping more happy PM45 owners would chime in.

NO. The PM9 has no bevel. I think it's just a "fix". It works and others figured the same fix out and made earlier posts on this thread... at least one CW45. Notice that the PM9 has plenty of "gap" and works fine with the squared off stripper.
    Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    That is probably probably part of the equation; the slide is also moving further rearward during operation (past the point where the intial problem was occurring) allowing the subsequent rounds to move into place unhindered.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Very true there, too.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I think that a lot of the problems with PM45s can be identified with the looking for the notch at the front of the slide and slowly inserting a full magazine with the slide locked back and see if the stripper winds up aft of the cartridge and chambers okay when the slide is released by the slide release.
    Are there any other problems identified that these two things might not have caused??
    You could check for this before firing and return it for repair or "fixing" those two problems, or test it first, if it's just the latter problem. The notch should be done by Kahr under warranty, unless you feel real competent at "machining" the notch.
    Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

So trout, do you think the factory just forgot to bevel that edge?[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. I was waitin for Kahr to get the PM45 squared away. I don't have the patience to yo yo back and forth to the mother ship. I was thinking of getting another G36, had one years ago, sold it to a cop after 911 and none were available. I think that beveled edge would be a good place to polish up real pretty also. I've bought a few from Bud's and I agree that seems to be a competitive price. Maybe I'll just do it now that we know how to fix it. Is that really right though. Pay 600 bucks and then have to tweak it to run. We're supporting the downfall of quality control. I'm poor now anyhow so I'll just watch for awhile. Maybe Mr. Wyn will sell me his one day. NOT.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal View Post

I'm in the same boat. I was waitin for Kahr to get the PM45 squared away. I don't have the patience to yo yo back and forth to the mother ship. I was thinking of getting another G36, had one years ago, sold it to a cop after 911 and none were available. I think that beveled edge would be a good place to polish up real pretty also. I've bought a few from Bud's and I agree that seems to be a competitive price. Maybe I'll just do it now that we know how to fix it. Is that really right though. Pay 600 bucks and then have to tweak it to run. We're supporting the downfall of quality control. I'm poor now anyhow so I'll just watch for awhile. Maybe Mr. Wyn will sell me his one day. NOT.[/QUOTE]

In the past couple of weeks I've seen some PM45's go for $550. Your patience could be worth $100 or more.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

I-Y-G

http://designlinetx.com/