Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: CW45/P45: Flush fit magazine - UPDATED

I took advantage of those prices and got a few more magazines to play with, as well as a few other things. At "$9.99 shipping for 1 to 1,000 items", I tried to get as much stuff as I might need/want.
    I bought two of those stainless Officers 6-round magazines and one of the blackened stainless 7-round Officers mags.
    The 6-rounders had good followers and matching springs, but the 7-rounder had a much weaker spring and it wasn't matched to the follower.
    Both types of followers were similar, but the 7-rounder's had a shorter skirt which allowed the tube to hold 7 rounds. The 6-rounder would accept about 6 1/2 rounds, so the skirt length is the determining factor.
    The 7-rounder's spring was way too weak to operate the PM45 slide lock. The 6-rounder springs are much stronger and seem to hold the slide back, but I had a Colt Officers 6-rounder hold the slide open until tested under actual firing, where it would not lock the slide back on empty. I expect this to be the same, but $9.99 for a stainless magazine with removable base... hard to go wrong.
    of course I'll experiment a bit with these, too, trying the good spring with the shorter-skirted follower, etc., for 7 rounds capacity.
    I filed just a bit off the top of the lips so that the mags snick into place, locking in easily now... less than 1mm off and then sanded them.
    Pictures, of course.
    Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wyntrout; 11-05-2010 at 08:43 AM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Wyntrout-

I would suggest that it is not the follower length that dictates the round count, but rather the spring stack when compressed.

Try this: remove the follower and spring from the magazine and drop in 7 rounds. Then measure the distance from the top of the last round to the top of the mag tube along the spine. I think what you will find, is that there is enough space to accommodate the follower length. Skirted mags require the spring to have more coils because they cannot go from front to back of the mag tube. When that spring coil is compressed it is taller, thus, 6 rounds instead of 7.

Talking Flush Fit Magazine

I have been following this post and today I decided to get involved. I found a MegGar magazine with a formed metal follower. It is not a split metal follower but a solid but formed follower. I made a pattern of the top of the Kahr magazine and transferred it to the MegGar magazine. Using the dremel tool I made the top of the magazine as close as possible to the Kahr magazine. I also made sure that the magazine didn't hit the follower when the slide moved. I cycled the slide and made small adjustments until I was satisfied. I loaded the magazine and loaded the first round into the chamber with no problems, I then cycled the slide until the last round was gone and the slide locked open as it is supposed to do. I am going to go out and field test it tomorrow and I wil post my results.

camsden

Is the MegGar mag a 6 or 7 round mag?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
    Wyntrout-

I would suggest that it is not the follower length that dictates the round count, but rather the spring stack when compressed.

Try this: remove the follower and spring from the magazine and drop in 7 rounds. Then measure the distance from the top of the last round to the top of the mag tube along the spine. I think what you will find, is that there is enough space to accommodate the follower length. Skirted mags require the spring to have more coils because they cannot go from front to back of the mag tube. When that spring coil is compressed it is taller, thus, 6 rounds instead of 7.
    Look at my pictures. I have experimented with all kinds of combinations of followers and springs with these magazines. The tubes are all the same... length and number of holes. The big difference is the length of the skirt. The six-rounder's skirt is about .4" longer and bottoms out leaving about 6 1/2 rounds capacity. Switching to the shorter skirt allows 7 rounds in all of the tubes. The tubes have observation holes for 7 rounds in all versions.

The shorter skirted follower and the matching spring allow 6 rounds in the 5-round Kahr and 7 in the 6-round Kahr, but the spring design doesn't have enough lift at the front of the follower to reliably operate the slide lock in the Kahr pistol, especially during firing.
    The plastic Kahr follower takes up a lot of space and the narrower(front to rear) spring allow one less round capacity.
    The the top part of the good springs is mated to the follower. The length of the springs coils and correct mating top of the spring holds the follower in place.

In another post I tried the Wilson Combat kit that increases capacity from six to seven in the officer's model magazines. This skirted plastic follower won't work in the Kahr magazines because the front part of the skirt is too short in the front.

Link to that (as soon as I find it):

http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistol...html#post36945

Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 11-08-2010 at 09:14 AM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

It is a 6 round officers magazine.

camsden

Talking Flush Mag

I got a chance to go out and play today. The modified MegGar magazine for my CW45 performed perfectly. It fed well and locked the slide back on an empty magazine just as it should. I ran 10 mags thru it and consider it a complete sucess and I am going to buy another one for modification as soon as I can.

camsden

Quote Originally Posted by camsden1 View Post
    I got a chance to go out and play today. The modified MegGar magazine for my CW45 performed perfectly. It fed well and locked the slide back on an empty magazine just as it should. I ran 10 mags thru it and consider it a complete sucess and I am going to buy another one for modification as soon as I can.

camsden
    Excellent report camsden!
    Please post photos of your modified magazine and it's follower.
    Regards,
    Greg

Default Flush Fit Magazine

Here come the pictures, hope they came out clear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by camsden1; 11-08-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: picture did not work

Quote Originally Posted by camsden1 View Post
    Here come the pictures, hope they came out clear.
    The photos are good to go; thanks for posting them
    I saw that follower on an ACT-MAG Officer's magazine when I ordered the Checkmate magazine from Top Gun Supply. I was going to order one but they were out of stock (still are): ACT-MAG 1911 Officers .45 ACP 7rd magazine - BLUE - Top Gun Supply
    They have nickel versions of the Mec-Gar you are using in stock. Do you have a source for the blued version?
    Regards,
    Greg