CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: CW45/P45: Flush fit magazine - UPDATED

Just got an email from Midway to let me know the Wilson Officer Size mag rebuild kits are available. I'm going to try that in my butchered Metalform and see if it works. They also have Presto Gun Blue pens so I'm replacing my 15 year old dried up one. Unfortunately, they are out of the black Metalform Officer size mags. Always one thing you need they don't have at the moment.

We had a new member post how he is doing this mod in another thread; it's excellent info so I thought I'd copy and paste his input here for future reference:
    Quote Originally Posted by cblambert1645 View Post
    from one of my other posts...
    1911 mags will run in a Kahr 45, better actually than the Kahr mags that are what 45 bucks? I started with inexpensive Springfield factory compact mags that I bought for around $20, (let me know if you need some) just standard Metalform style officer stuff, then removed the follower, trimmed an 1/8" off the tail so I could barely stuff the 7th round in with the slide open to make it easier for 6+1 carry....and take a belt sander or file to the little bump. The nose of the follower needs tweeked slightly down as to not hang up the slide.
    next around .100" of the feed lip at the most forward highest edge needs removed on the right side to clear the ejector...on the left side .030" needs to be removed to clear the slide rail. strip & remove the barrel the re install the slide, & mag & you'll see instantly what I mean. I can literally modify these mags in in minutes. The result will be a better functioning mag, steel flush mag floor plate that will except a proper bump if need be thats not finicky (I cant get mine to stop running now) that can still inter chance with a officer 1911 & no cheap plastic mag floor plate that would break if hit right on a hard floor & be USELESS. After alot of measuring & checking cw45 has a really tight chamber with steep sharp leade. This prevents the use of some (Hornady 200grn XTP- my favorite load) from chambering fully- and locks 'er up tight if tried. So Im using Winchester 185 silvertips & Federal 185 JHC with good results as the bullets ogive is seated closer to the case mouth. Lastly, the extension tail on the bottom of the slide that strips rounds from the mag, needs re-contoured & polished smooth, the dang thing is so sharp that it will plow brass from the top cartridge in the mag- especially with the overly strong spring of the Kahr Mag- if you keep it do yourself a favor & trim a coil off the spring.
    http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=67816&postcount=43

I finally got my Wilson mag rebuild kit and my Presto blue pen this week so I finished up my project and gave it a good shake down at the range today. I'm incredibly happy to report flawless performance from the magazine through a box of target hardball and half a box of Fed Expanding FMJ 200 grain +P. I knew both of these ammos worked 100% in the gun so I didn't want to introduce any additional variables.

I'll be making a few more of these soon. Even with gutting the Metalform magazine and buying the rebuild kit, it's still just $23 to make one and you get the benefits of an extra round and last round slide lock back in a much more flush fitting magazine.

Thanks for all the tips and tricks along the way. The only caution I will throw into the mix is to make sure you get the rebuild kit pictured since it's specifically for the Metalform magazine.

Excellent info Ljutic, thanks for sharing it!
    FWIW, my modified magazine and my CW45 are trooping right along with nary a hiccup. I really like this package.:80:
    Regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    FWIW, my modified magazine and my CW45 are trooping right along with nary a hiccup. I really like this package.
    Ditto my P45. I have over 500 flawless rounds of my reloads, factory ball, and HST through it now, and will making another one as soon as I get around to ordering the appropriate follower & spring from Kahr.

Thanks again for the idea; it makes a huge difference in the gun's concealability.

I bought a Kimber Kimpro Tacmag 7rd and it fits fine inside my CW45 even locks back when I rack the slide on it empty. Do I still need to modify this at all?

If the slide clears it as is, I'd go give it a test spin and proceed from there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBWZvFBeUY
    Given that Kahr magazines can sometimes contact the slide (as seen in the video), similar contact from an Officer's magazine probably should not be problematic.
    Regards,
    Greg

As-is the extractor moves slightly (smothly outward--out of the way, not upwards) when closing the slide. Would this cause harm in the long run? That video shows the extractor dragging on the unmodified mag.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoCrayon View Post
    As-is the extractor moves slightly (smothly outward--out of the way, not upwards) when closing the slide. Would this cause harm in the long run? That video shows the extractor dragging on the unmodified mag.
    As long it mimics what happens with a Kahr magazine in place I imagine it will probably work. I don't believe the extractor moved with the Kahr magazine in place when I shot that video (I don't think it appears to when reviewing the video as well). I do think that movement of the extractor caused by a magazine would not be a good thing.
    Regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by DinoCrayon View Post
    I bought a Kimber Kimpro Tacmag 7rd and it fits fine inside my CW45 even locks back when I rack the slide on it empty. Do I still need to modify this at all?
    I carry a KimPro 8 rounder as a spare mag. The only thing I did was remove a little bit of material so that the extractor did not make contact with the top of the mag. The stock sping and follower in my KimPro mag work great. I've had no feed problems with it and it locks the slide back when its empty.