CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am i doing wrong?

Shooters of the Beretta 92 series, have a tendency to shoot low, and often low and to the right (or sometimes left). This, of course, is due to their prior trigger experience, and inadequate training with careful response/feedback (aka calling the shot).

Often they'd complain to the gunsmith, or, more likely "want to borrow" a punch and hammer to "adjust" the sights.... which of course were windage only adjustable (and they were shooting low).

In such instances, the gunsmith (moi) would reply that tools were not lent to customers, but after brief inquiry, the type of pistol would be mentioned, and the knowing gunsmith would strike a deal with said customer.

"If I shoot it, and it shoots off at fifty feet, then I'll take my #@@# hammer brass punch and adjust the !!@# sights for you at no charge; or, if I shoot it and it shoots to the point of aim at fifty feet, I'll use the same @#$@ hammer to adjust your @#$@# trigger finger, also at no cost to you.

Pick one!"

They'd usually back down, ask me to "check" their pistol by firing it, which I always did, cuz I love to shoot other folks ammo. The result was inexplicable spontaneous correction of the sights whenever I held and the pistol, along with equally inexplicable and spontaneous return of the sights to their previous "way off" state whenever I placed the pistol on the bench or into its owner's hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    I have both the P380 (in the shop) and a PM9 and I love them, but i can't hit crap with them at 20'. Low and to the right as far as i can tell. I have a Glock 27, Tuarus 58UL and a firestorm 380 that I have no problems putting great groups at the same distance or farther. Is it the thinner frame or long trigger pull causing me to do something with my hand? I've got about 300+ on each and still not real consitant. I'm sure they sight them in at the shop. Any thoughts on what might be going on or I'm doing wrong?
    If it's any consolation for you to hear this, you are not alone. I had a somewhat similar experience when I got my first Kahr (MK9) a year ago. I loved the gun, but just couldn't hit anything with it even at short distances. It was the only gun that frustrated me in that way.

With the advice provided by many helpful people on KahrTalk (such as you are getting in the preceding posts; also see lots of useful hints in the thread Accuracy with my Kahr), plus practice, I have gotten better.

But as jocko and many others here have pointed out, Kahrs are not target guns, and are inherently difficult for some (many?) people to shoot accurately. Kahrs are optimized to be carryable SD guns, thus one's expectations and technique when using them are different.

Good luck, and just keep working on it.
    "Measure twice, cut once. Think twice, speak once."

all those drills are gret but IMO dry firing whenu know there is no possable chance of the bang thing realy doesn't get to the heart of the issue. U know nothing is gonna happen so all drills work pretty darn good. The bang and anticipastion thinbg seem to work together. U don't realize the anticipation u are having as the bang thing over rides it all...Just my two cents

I was shooting my K9 last week with some TUL steel cased ammo that I was testing out to see if it wasgoing tobe ok for my K9. I actrually at 7 yrds was shooting good groups even and that pleased me but then I hit a no fire with one of those rounds and damn near yanked the trigger out of thegun. I know I was doing this prio to this no bang thing to, only I did not know it and I was definitely anticipating the bang thing. I am a believer that one casn master a bad habit to, and I think that is what I have done and my groupls were presentable but if u do the same thing wrong every time, u seem to somehow adjust to this. Just sayin

IMO there is just nothing else that tops RANDOM SNAP caps for showing shooter error BIG TIME. What u do after that is up to u. Hellif your shooting good groups, why screw with it. In a SHTF situation ur just not gonna sit there on a bench rest or lining up the front/back sight and target. Just ain't gonna happen. If you use POA shooting with these kahrs, ur gonna get damn good at 10 yards and under and ur gonna get damn fast to. It is a defense gun that will save ur life; Train that way.; Just sayin I must say I hate bulleyes targets to. Get a silohette target . train with the purpose ur kahrs were made for.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Thanks for all info all of you have some good insight and things for me to look at. I will pick up some snap caps and give that a go. Someone had said i might be a lefty but i shoot right. Maybe i should shoot left and bring that low to the right on center.

Stick with what you're comfortable doing. In a SHTF situation you cannot hesitate, it's got to be automatic. Keep practicing and learning the gun. It will come together. Besides, shooting paper is fun.

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).

Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    Thanks for all info all of you have some good insight and things for me to look at. I will pick up some snap caps and give that a go. Someone had said i might be a lefty but i shoot right. Maybe i should shoot left and bring that low to the right on center.
    ur rear sight is left and right adjustable, getting to the ups and downs might just be solved by seeing more or less of the front sight or 6 o'CLOCK HOLD VS 12 o'CLOCK HOLD. Here again POA shooting can take care of alot of that..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

You may have already seen this guide to common issues.

It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland