Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nano has a home

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
    I'm sure Russ will answer in greater detail but I'll give you my two cents.

First, cars do have a break-in period. You are told to limit your engine revs for 1,000 miles; no full throtle acceleration, no long trips at a constant speed and go easy on the brakes so you don't glaze the pads.

As for the number of rounds of break-in, I'd recast that question as how many rounds are "needed" vs. "fired". There was no need to fire that many rounds. It was Russ's insistence on using certain ammo which clearly was not appropriate during break-in. In following his posts here and on the Beretta forum, it appears what we call prep work on Kahrs, was not followed. Of course, what was needed was being newly developed as the Nano is new and the PM9 has been available for 8 years.

In case you weren't aware of it, Russ also was not satisfied with his CM9. These guns are both about the same street price. Not quite to a level where I'd call either inexpensive.

The Beretta Rep advises there have been only 14 guns returned for service out of the first few thousand sold.

Anyone getting a new Nano should do the following prep before the first range trip:

1. Clean your mags and make sure the followers fall freely inside the mag tubes.
    2. Clean and lube the gun
    3. Spray/blast gunscrubber or equivalent thru striker channel
    4. Lock the action open for 48-72 hours.
    5. Shoot quality brass FMJ. Shoot some SD rounds if budget allows
    6. If after 300 rounds, you still get Failures to Extract, repeat #3 & #4 and shoot 100 SD rounds. If these are flawless, either don't worry about 1/700 failures at the range or buy different range ammo. IMHO, 124 gr works best and I advise against WWB and Federal Champion, both from WalMart.
    Triggerman knows his stuff.

Had I followed the break in on Kahr Tech it would have saved me time and money. I think leaving the slide open for a week helped. I shot S&B 115 115 fmj, Winchester White Box and Federal Champion which at the 700 mark still gave me about a 2% failure rate so I gave up but WWB which gave some on Beretta forum issues was good along with S&B.

Kind of weard but as I approached 900 rounds the gun felt looser when I fired. It may be my imagination but it felt different.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Russ
    Glad it's coming around to your liking and expectations. Some guns just take a little longer to break in.
    Popeye:

Thanks

I had the green light from Cabelas to return it and I just about gave up but I am glad I stuck with it because I like the gun.

Russ

I'm totally happy with my CM9, but don't have a problem with exploring all avenues. Beretta builds quality firearms or they wouldn't be the worlds oldest manufacturer.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by kerby9mm View Post
    Do you think that is an awful lot of rounds for so-called break-in? There might be some people out there that buy an inexpensive gun like that for a reason. They want a gun for protection and maybe don't have the money or desire to put 900 rounds through it to make it as it should have been made in the first place. Would you be pleased if your new car was like your Nano?

Kerby9mm

900 rounds and a week witht he slide open is crazy. One thing to consider the Nano 9mm is built on a 40 caliber platform. Triggerman most likely can shed light on this but it just seems to me when you are shooting 9mm through a basically a 40 caliber gun its going to take more shots to loosen up a gun designed to accept 40 caliber rounds.

Another thought to consider Beretta uses mostly Black Hills ammo and if they determined the pound spring to use based on Black Hills that could explain my problems. Black Hills is hot ammo. The regular 115 grain jhp I have read can reach 1,300 fps and 400 lbs of force. That isn't your grandma's ammo and when you get a cheap dude like me that shoots Walmart 9mm ammo through a 40 caliber design it could creat some problems. I will say S&B is not weak. In the 115 grain it pushes mid 1200 range for speed and I really didn't have alot of problems with it even early on but I really wanted to get the Nano to the point where it could shoot the Walmart stuff.

Russ

Russ, not sure what you're paying but wanted to share my last ammo purchase with you and this forum.

I will still shoot S&B FMJ 115 because I have a 1,000 rounds on hand. Of course, that's just ten 1/2 hour trips if I shoot just my 9mm guns.

I tend to buy 500 rounds per order, nearly always online from either CTD, Natchez, Ammo To Go , Kyle's or SGAMMO.

My last order was for Federal LE HST 124 gr HP (P9HST1). At $27.95 per box of 50, ordering only 5 boxes, with $15.76 in shipping and insurance, my COST PER ROUND was $0.62. I have seen +P 135 gr LE HSTs for $0.56. They were cosmetic seconds. I usually pay about $0.22 for S&B 115gr range ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
    Russ, not sure what you're paying but wanted to share my last ammo purchase with you and this forum.

I will still shoot S&B FMJ 115 because I have a 1,000 rounds on hand. Of course, that's just ten 1/2 hour trips if I shoot just my 9mm guns.

I tend to buy 500 rounds per order, nearly always online from either CTD, Natchez, Ammo To Go , Kyle's or SGAMMO.

My last order was for Federal LE HST 124 gr HP (P9HST1). At $27.95 per box of 50, ordering only 5 boxes, with $15.76 in shipping and insurance, my COST PER ROUND was $0.62. I have seen +P 135 gr LE HSTs for $0.56. They were cosmetic seconds. I usually pay about $0.22 for S&B 115gr range ammo.
    Triggerman

Thanks. I paid about $10.50 per box for S&B. I can't remember the website but if you order $70 shipping was free. My buddy and I split a case

If you Google free shipping for ammo you will probably locate it. I think it was A1 ammo.com

I just checked on price $11.99 A little higher than I paid. I think if a person is patient they can find decent 9mm for around .22 each.

Russ

Here's my local supplier for ammo. He's as reasonable as it gets, but I admit I don't know his shipping rates.

www.theammoguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by paperpuncher View Post
    Here's my local supplier for ammo. He's as reasonable as it gets, but I admit I don't know his shipping rates.

www.theammoguy.com
    I'm too wary of voiding a warranty or getting a kaboom. No reloads for me.

For those who disagree, here's a place (click on IPDA). Note the need to use an appropriate spring.

http://thebulletworks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    I'm totally happy with my CM9, but don't have a problem with exploring all avenues. Beretta builds quality firearms or they wouldn't be the worlds oldest manufacturer.
    Muggsy

I would still have my CM9 if the front night sight would not have kept breaking off.

I will say the Kahr is a nice pocket gun. The Nano is borderline a pocket gun and no way for smalll dudes or jeans unless you wear low rider jeans half way down your back side than you will need a good belt or the Nano will make those low riders floor rider jeans.

Russ