PDA

View Full Version : 1950's colt 1911 price

2thhacker
12-21-2011, 02:29 PM
A local guy has a colt for 1911 for $600. He says "well taken care of for 60 years" in the ad. The bluing looks like you would expect on a 60 year old gun. Is this a good price? Would that make a good 1st 1911?

Bawanna
12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Need more information but if it's any kind of shape at all its probably worth that easily. If your looking for a carry shooter 1911 it may not be the best choice especially if you find it has any kind of collector value.
If it's unmessed with it will need a few things like sights, to make a decent carry gun but would be nice to have and ok for an occasional gentle range session.

If it is messed with it might be a good platform to build what you want or may even be good as is.

Sounds like its original based on well taken care of for 60 years.

Pictures or anything at all would help make a better call.

2thhacker
12-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Ad Text: "Colt full size 1911 45 acp. 100 years of service. It looks to all original blueing, best of my knowledge. Shoots great. Vintage classic pistol that has been tooking care of for over 60 plus years."

Bawanna
12-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Slide almost looks like it might be refinished but damn hard to tell from a picture.

Just my own opinion of course but if I was local to this guy and had 600 I'd buy that puppy in a minute.

Looks completely original, even the grips, very minor pitting in the frame which is pretty common. I think it's a real good bargain for 600 and if you lag I'm sure someone will scoop it up.

GB and some of the others if your lurking chime in here and help me.

Again if your looking for a carry gun that might not be the one. It would be almost sacrilege to mess with it but I know I'd be proud to have it myself. I have a 42 version but I'd add that one in a minute.

2thhacker
12-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Not really looking at it for a carry gun, just something fun to shoot at the range from time to time. Also, I don't have a 1911, and doesn't everyone need one?

Thunder71
12-21-2011, 04:05 PM
In that case why not spend $200 less and get a new Rock Island?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Bawanna
12-21-2011, 04:40 PM
I'd personally blow the extra 200 and have a piece of Colt history myself. Although Rocks Rock!

That Colt will hold it's own or most likely appreciate in value. The Rock will live on as a shooter but not in the money end.

TucsonMTB
12-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Not really looking at it for a carry gun, just something fun to shoot at the range from time to time. Also, I don't have a 1911, and doesn't everyone need one?
Yep! And if you are looking for the complete historic experience, that Colt would be a good choice. It will almost certainly shoot regular 235 grain ball ammo that it was designed for without difficulty. If you don't plan to carry it, that's really all you need.

However, there is a reason that newer guns have larger, dovetailed sights, and various other modifications like beaver tails. The newer stuff is generally easier and more comfortable to shoot.

Still, if authenticity is your goal, that Colt has it. :D

Edited to add: That's pretty much what Bawanna posted while I was diddling around typing my post. Oh well. :rolleyes:

TriggerMan
12-21-2011, 05:24 PM
A local guy has a colt for 1911 for $600. He says "well taken care of for 60 years" in the ad. The bluing looks like you would expect on a 60 year old gun. Is this a good price? Would that make a good 1st 1911?Buy a new Ruger SR1911 for a liitle more. Find a used SIG 1911 RCS or C3 for $600

CJB
12-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Im with bawanna....looks like a refin slide

2thhacker
12-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'd really like to have this one, but I just noticed in the ad the seller lives in neighboring state. I think seller would have to come to TN FFL for transfer(not 100% sure). I don't know if I could work that out or not. Only about 2 hrs away, but in Kentucky.

Bawanna
12-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'd really like to have this one, but I just noticed in the ad the seller lives in neighboring state. I think seller would have to come to TN FFL for transfer(not 100% sure). I don't know if I could work that out or not. Only about 2 hrs away, but in Kentucky.

If you want to stay legal he can ship it to an FFL near you and you pick it up there and pay a transfer fee. If he's 2 hours away I'd be tempted to drive over and pick it up face to face if he's agreeable.

The refinished slide if it is refinished isn't a deal breaker for me. I'd go for it.

For a shooter I'd definitely go with Triggerman and find you a Ruger or Rock or whatever.
You'd be fine shooting that Colt occasionally at the range. I wish I had 600 of disposable income I'd scoop it myself if your not going to.

2thhacker
12-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Seller no longer responding to my e-mails. Must have sold to someone else.

Bawanna
12-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Don't give up, it's the holidays, he might be gone or just busy. That gun has occupied the recesses of my small but full brain for several days. I think it's worth going for.

Popeye
01-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Darned shame if he sold it to someone else. I sure would have given him $600 for it,if for no other reason than to display it with my M1 Garand. As far as being a shooter though I think if you wanted a a GI-1911. The Rock Island would be your best bet. Old war guns are just not meant to be shot like that anymore and most are not that accurate. The ones I shot in the service sure wearn't. I have a GI-1911 from RIA and it is pure basic as you can get 1911 45 caliber fun. That gun would make JMB smile. It has also been a very reliable shooter and has reasonable accuracy for a copy of a battle weapon. IMO better that the original 1911's as I believe they have tighter tolerences. I hear 1911's costing three times as much as my Rock having all sorts of problems. Some are ammo picky where my Rock is like a fat chick, it will eat anything, and has no problems firing hollow points. I think I paid $429+tax and it's been worth every penny I paid for it. Like Bawanna says Rocks Rock.