PDA

View Full Version : Gunshot locators, in a town near you

Alfonse
12-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Interesting new technology
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/22/sniper-detectors-coming-to-americas-heartland/

melissa5
12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Huh! I wonder if it works on silencers?

CJB
12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Down here in Florida... there was a city in Broward County that just shitcanned that system.

Reason? too many false alarms made policing/responding costs go UP while suspects caught equaled one or two during the year.

They responded to fireworks, backfires, other noisy stuff... as well as gunfire. They also were NOT able to pinpoint things outside of controlled situations. Too many echos and reflected sound off buildings - even moving vehicles near where the noise happened reflected sound.

Palm Beach County considered it countywide, to be done with streetlights. They nixed it. At sixty grand per square mile... the cost was beyond belief, for almost no benefit. Riviera Beach has it, and has proudly made a show and tell of the one guy they caught.

As the politicians say - "If it only saves ONE life...!!!!!" (bleeding heard music)

As CB says... it dont stop the bullets jerkyboy!

Alfonse
12-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Huh! I wonder if it works on silencers?

For every measure....

jeepster09
12-22-2011, 04:26 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/22/sniper-detectors-coming-to-americas-heartland/

In the "hood" :behindsofa: part of Minneapolis they have had these for a while with good success.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/groups/public/@council/documents/webcontent/convert_272729.pdf

tv_racin_fan
12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Shot Spotter is the new and improved system.. it is supposed to be able to learn from it's mistakes.. and supposedly can tell is the shooter is moving and what caliber of firearm was used... still at $60K per square mile it seems awful expensive.

Bill K
12-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Down here in Florida... there was a city in Broward County that just shitcanned that system.

Reason? too many false alarms made policing/responding costs go UP while suspects caught equaled one or two during the year.

They responded to fireworks, backfires, other noisy stuff... as well as gunfire. They also were NOT able to pinpoint things outside of controlled situations. Too many echos and reflected sound off buildings - even moving vehicles near where the noise happened reflected sound.

Palm Beach County considered it countywide, to be done with streetlights. They nixed it. At sixty grand per square mile... the cost was beyond belief, for almost no benefit. Riviera Beach has it, and has proudly made a show and tell of the one guy they caught.

As the politicians say - "If it only saves ONE life...!!!!!" (bleeding heard music)

As CB says... it dont stop the bullets jerkyboy!

I wonder how many good citizens could have been armed and trained in that square mile with $60,000.00?

jocko
12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
I heard they had them in every apartment in gabrinie square in Chicago, !!!!!

TriggerMan
12-25-2011, 04:31 AM
I heard they had them in every apartment in gabrinie square in Chicago, !!!!!I'm guessing you are referring the the infamous Chicago Housing Authority Public Housing Project.

The last of the buildings in Cabrini-Green was demolished in March of 2011.

muggsy
12-25-2011, 05:56 AM
It's 1984 all over again.

dh2683
12-25-2011, 06:54 AM
You need to have people working & paying taxe's so there are ENOUGH police to respond to them. If the police are overwhelmed with call's on a daily basis these random gunfire calls come last. Have NOT done a thing for the last 2 years in my area.Think about it, in my area the police already KNOW where most of the gunfire is coming from.

Dave

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

TheTman
12-25-2011, 08:51 AM
I wonder if you fart out loud if the police show up.;)

muggsy
12-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Another waste of the tax payers money.

jeffe007
12-29-2011, 07:08 AM
They're not just for gunshots. They're designed to listen to people talking on the street. Don't believe me? Just go research it. You'll see. Even the company selling it says its designed to listen to conversations as well. It IS very 1984.