PDA

View Full Version : Kahr SS Guide Rod installed...

awpk03s
12-24-2011, 07:19 AM
This week I ordered and received a stainless guide rod for my MK9. I also ordered from Kahr a new recoil assembly (plastic GR and springs). When installing the SS guide rod, I broke the new one, and used the new springs - leaving my original stock one (400 rds fired) intact, to have as a proven go-to if I had a problem with the new setup.

Fit seems to be perfect, and it looks really good too. Seems to be very stiff compared to what I recall from my original setup. I suppose I need to get busy with some hand-racking and another period of shooting to get things loosened up again.

MO_Soldier
12-24-2011, 08:24 AM
I don't mean to be rude by any means, but why would you exchange the recoil system after 400 rounds? That's barely past the break-in period, and it's even possible that it wasn't broke in. Now you just added another break-in period to your weapon.
Kahr recommends replacing the recoil spring assembly after 5,000 rounds.

cgarcop
12-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Keep us posted after you get to the range with the new set up. Im considering ordering the stainless rod from kahr also. I put in the Wolffs set up (black) but the SS looks sharp.
On the Kahr website it says fitting may be required but others have posted they just dropped it in and it was good to go.

apheod
12-24-2011, 09:13 AM
you broke a stainless steel guide rod?

cgarcop
12-24-2011, 09:27 AM
you broke a stainless steel guide rod?

I think he's referring to the stock MK9 guide rod which is vinyl / plastic.
very cheap looking which is what drives a lot of MK9 owners to switch to the wolffs set up

awpk03s
12-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't mean to be rude by any means, but why would you exchange the recoil system after 400 rounds? That's barely past the break-in period, and it's even possible that it wasn't broke in. Now you just added another break-in period to your weapon.
Kahr recommends replacing the recoil spring assembly after 5,000 rounds.

I wanted the stainless guide rod, as opposed to the factory plastic one.

I enjoy shooting the gun, and didn't have any issues to speak of during the initial "break-in", so I'm really not that concerned about it.

Thunder71
12-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Recoil spring doesn't mean new break in, just function check.

I'd like to see photos of this if you don't mind.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

MikeyKahr
12-24-2011, 11:18 AM

Somebody's getting the credit card ready for some shopping!! :beer:

Sent using Tapatalk

Thunder71
12-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Somebody's getting the credit card ready for some shopping!! :beer:

Sent using Tapatalk

You know me too well :)

Barth
12-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Recoil spring doesn't mean new break in, just function check.

Ho Ho Ho Merry Stainless Xmas!
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo02/af/9d/f452d24315bd__1310177373000.jpeg

Thunder71
12-24-2011, 05:12 PM
OK, that's on my list!

Looks great! Is that part number 51700? Picture looks black on their site.

Or is it this one?
http://www.kahr.com/Guide-Rods-and-Barrels/Kahr-Stainless-Steel-Guide-Rod-MK-Series.asp

Barth
12-24-2011, 07:51 PM
OK, that's on my list!

Looks great! Is that part number 51700? Picture looks black on their site.

Or is it this one?
http://www.kahr.com/Guide-Rods-and-Barrels/Kahr-Stainless-Steel-Guide-Rod-MK-Series.asp

The URL is correct.
That pups not black - LOL
BTW Mine was drop in perfect.
I think may require fitting is just CYA

Thunder71
12-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I looked on Wolff's site first - that's the one that looks black (was less expensive too).

Barth
12-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I looked on Wolff's site first - that's the one that looks black (was less expensive too).

Kahr was the only stainless guide rod I found.
Bedair doesn't make them for MKs
The captured double recoil spring thingy I think.

Did get a BedAir for my P220 though.
I'll have it back soon I can feel it!

(not sure if the new stainless slide is Nitron or shinny though...)

gb6491
12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
...Kahr recommends replacing the recoil spring assembly after 5,000 rounds.
That seems excessive to me. Do you have a source for that interval?
Regards,
Greg

MLESa7990
12-24-2011, 09:44 PM
From what I have been told, Kahr recommends changing it out every 1,200-1,500 rounds if the gun is used for CC as preventative maintenance. If it's a range gun, change it out when failures starts.

Barth
12-25-2011, 08:37 AM
That seems excessive to me. Do you have a source for that interval?
Regards,
Greg

Kahr tech support told me like something like 1200 for SD.
For the range, run till is stops working - LOL

JFootin
12-25-2011, 02:34 PM
From what I have been told, Kahr recommends changing it out every 1,200-1,500 rounds if the gun is used for CC as preventative maintenance. If it's a range gun, change it out when failures starts.

This is correct. :cool:

b1web
12-26-2011, 12:53 PM
New to MKs and have a question on the Wolff replacement assy. I understand it is not captive (You can change just the spring for another without cuttting) but does that mean all of the pieces come apart whenever I field strip? Or is there some kind of retention so I can drop out and re insert the whole thing as an assembly during cleaning?

Thanx

awpk03s
12-30-2011, 09:43 PM
I took out my MK9 and shot it today with the SS guide rod and new recoil springs. Only shot 50 rounds of 115gr FMJ, but it was perfectly flawless.

jeepster09
01-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Is this a good upgrade for Kahr's? I know Kel Tec sells steel rods also, but they do not reccomend them due to causing gun failures. I asked Kel Tec why they sell them and was told due to customers WANTING them. Here is articles about Kel Tec and others problems.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/guiderod.htm

http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=235978

http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-451468.html

Thunder71
01-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Haven't shot mine with it yet, but it feels great when racking by hand.

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

QuercusMax
01-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Is this a good upgrade for Kahr's? I know Kel Tec sells steel rods also, but they do not reccomend them due to causing gun failures. I asked Kel Tec why they sell them and was told due to customers WANTING them.

While I can understand why Kel Tec would make non-metal guide rods standard, and also that Kahr would do this on low-end models, I still can't figure out why Kahr would also use them on their high-end models, e.g. Elite, where some additional cost should not be a big issue. If the metal ones truly are better, why hobble "Elite" models with a piece of plastic?

To put it differently, I wonder if there is actually a technical reason why they choose to use non-metal guide rods as standard, but offer metal ones as after-market accessories for "customers who want them"? Might the non-metal rods actually have some advantage?

TucsonMTB
01-05-2012, 09:29 AM
At least in the case of the Kel-Tec pistols, the metal guide rods looked nice but increased the wear rates in the through hole at the front of the slide.

The severity of the wear seems to depend on the side loading of the rod as the gun cycles (high in the case of the Kel-Tec P11, P40 and PF9 where metal is not recommended) or possibly on the relative hardness of the slide and rod (the Kahr guide rod in my CW40 seemed to have a soft surface, based on wear marks created by the recoil spring).

All just conjecture based on my first hand observations . . . I am not a gunsmith nor do I play one on TV. :D

QuercusMax
01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
At least in the case of the Kel-Tec pistols, the metal guide rods looked nice but increased the wear rates in the through hole at the front of the slide.

That's the kind of thing that I was imagining. Metal looks nice, but might have some disadvantages that are not apparent to the casual user. If that were true, the manufacturer would ship with non-metal, but offer a metal one just for people who prefer that.

Wood grips might be in the same category - not everyone automatically wants them.

jeepster09
01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
I agree.

jocko
01-05-2012, 02:48 PM
kahr recoil rods fore the cw series is very low pirced, just buy a half dozen and change when ur panties get in a wad.

Doesnt really seem like the wear is a facotr even but change like recoil springs..

Barth
01-05-2012, 06:09 PM
I put one in before I fired the first shot - LOL!
Broke it in All Stainless.
Maybe 800 rounds with no troubles....

Rocko63
02-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Have you noticed any wear issues with the stainless steel guide rod? I sure like the look a lot better than the black plastic which seems cheap on my MK40 Elite. Was it just a cost factor for Kahr since they offer one online for purchase although I called and was told they do not actually make it.

cesande
02-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Looking at the factory setup it is not completely obvious to me how to make this changeout. Anyone who has done can you give a bit more detail as to how to do this.
I agree that the stainless one looks a lot better!