PDA

View Full Version : New Holster for my CM9

HeyGuysWatchThis
12-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Here's a photo of my new Crossbreed MiniSlide. I wear it IWB with a wilderness type belt inside my pants, and it's very comfortable at about 4:30.

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/HeyGuysWatchThis/DSCF1819.jpg

Editing the first post to add the rest of the description:

Here's the holster on the belt (gym shorts not boxers):
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/HeyGuysWatchThis/DSCF1825.jpg

Here’s the Velcro closure:
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/HeyGuysWatchThis/DSCF1828.jpg

Here’s the triglide tensioner:
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/HeyGuysWatchThis/DSCF1830.jpg

Here are the pants on over top. The height of the gun can be matched to the pants by raising or lowering the inner belt:
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/HeyGuysWatchThis/DSCF1831.jpg

Pretty easy to get a grip:
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/HeyGuysWatchThis/DSCF1832.jpg

Here’s the concealed photo:
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/HeyGuysWatchThis/DSCF1834.jpg

JFootin
12-27-2011, 08:50 AM
How do you wear that OWB hoster IWB? Pics, please.

Thunder71
12-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Belt to keep it on the waist, pants over whole assembly = no clips showing.

HeyGuysWatchThis
12-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Exactly, and very thin, too. I like it because it supports the gun from behind it instead of smashing it into my hip from the outside. Much more comfortable than the all kydex standard IWB holster I was using before. The leather prevents the pressure points I was having from either the muzzle, the grip or both.

Also, it's completely tuckable if I need it to be.

ETA, I'll see if I can get the wife to snap some pics of the setup at some point.

Thunder71
12-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Smartcarry is kind of the same concept (or can be), just an all-in-one design with no kydex, and designed to be carried in the front.

HeyGuysWatchThis
12-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I could probably carry it in the front, but I'm just a little too squeamish for that, lol. I know, I know, long heavy trigger pull and covered trigger guard, but I just can't really get past it. It also seems like it would complicate trips to the bathroom.

JFootin
12-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I could probably carry it in the front, but I'm just a little too squeamish for that, lol. I know, I know, long heavy trigger pull and covered trigger guard, but I just can't really get past it. It also seems like it would complicate trips to the bathroom.

You can slide it to the side to tinkle. Take it off if you have to launch a butt torpedo.

JFootin
12-27-2011, 02:33 PM

Exactly, and very thin, too. I like it because it supports the gun from behind it instead of smashing it into my hip from the outside. Much more comfortable than the all kydex standard IWB holster I was using before. The leather prevents the pressure points I was having from either the muzzle, the grip or both.

ETA, I'll see if I can get the wife to snap some pics of the setup at some point.

Cool!

340pd
12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
How do you wear that OWB hoster IWB? Pics, please.

JFootin:
I am glad YOU asked that question. I have spent all day standing on my head trying to make that holster work IWB.

Thunder71
12-27-2011, 03:25 PM
You can slide it to the side to tinkle. Take it off if you have to launch a butt torpedo.

Just slide it up over your stomach, no need to remove it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

PaiN
12-27-2011, 03:39 PM
First, that is a very strange holster design to start with....like it doesn't know if it wants to grow up too be a ItW or OtW holster.... :)

Second, I'm not so sure that carrying in a holster designed to be belted, unsecured ItW is a good idea. Toileting aside, seems like it wouldn't take much to pop it up or push it down, then..ops, there's your gun on the floor.

BrewerGeorge
12-27-2011, 04:07 PM
I had the impression that he wore another belt on the inside of the pants - specifically for the holster.

HeyGuysWatchThis
12-27-2011, 04:10 PM
First, that is a very strange holster design to start with....like it doesn't know if it wants to grow up too be a ItW or OtW holster.... :)

Second, I'm not so sure that carrying in a holster designed to belted, unsecured ItW is a good idea. Toileting aside, seems like it wouldn't take much to pop it up or push it down, then..ops, there's your gun on the floor.

Retention is fine. The holster part is the same as the Supertuck and all the other clones out there, it's just a different thought process for belting.

Ok, I just re-read your post and I think I understand your question. I think you're missing my point, that I'm actually wearing 2 belts, one inside my pants that the holster is attached to, and another belt in the normal fashion to hold up my pants. Like I said, I'll try to get some photos of the system up.

PaiN
12-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Retention is fine. The holster part is the same as the Supertuck and all the other clones out there, it's just a different thought process for belting.

Ok, I just re-read your post and I think I understand your question. I think you're missing my point, that I'm actually wearing 2 belts, one inside my pants that the holster is attached to, and another belt in the normal fashion to hold up my pants. Like I said, I'll try to get some photos of the system up.
Ah, that changes everything... Very interesting idea, I'll be watching for the pics.

HeyGuysWatchThis
12-28-2011, 09:23 PM
So here are the pictures as promised. I wanted to wait until my wife finished the belt for me. It started out as the strap on my old laptop bag, and she reworked it for me, she's very clever at these things.

Anyway, here's the holster on the belt (gym shorts not boxers):
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/HeyGuysWatchThis/DSCF1825.jpg

Here’s the Velcro closure:
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/HeyGuysWatchThis/DSCF1828.jpg

Here’s the triglide tensioner:
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/HeyGuysWatchThis/DSCF1830.jpg

Here are the pants on over top. The height of the gun can be matched to the pants by raising or lowering the inner belt:

EZ Land
12-29-2011, 05:25 AM
Very cool! No issues with it riding up or the belt being uncomfortable or moving out of position? I ask this because I do a lot of physical work where I'm constantly moving and lifting, etc.

JFootin
12-29-2011, 06:45 AM
That is so cool! A novel way of achieving concealment with nothing showing on the belt. And it looks very comfortable.

Great pics! You said "Hey guys, watch this." and then showed us!

jeffe007
12-29-2011, 09:43 AM
thats beautiful! id have NEVER thought of that! dang it! you 'could' ride it up your abdomen for more discreet carry too! brilliant!

HeyGuysWatchThis
12-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks, guys! I really should say that it's not my idea, though. I heard about it from a guy over on AR15.com. Interestingly enough, though, I think he's using a CompTac IWB.

AFDoc
12-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Very smart. Thanks for sharing.

KMA
01-02-2012, 12:19 PM

I do the same thing when wearing slackers, and it works perfect!

JFootin
02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
So here are the pictures as promised. I wanted to wait until my wife finished the belt for me. It started out as the strap on my old laptop bag, and she reworked it for me, she's very clever at these things.

Anyway, here's the holster on the belt. The height of the gun can be matched to the pants by raising or lowering the inner belt:

Man, that's just slicker'n goose grease! :D Nothing showing on or attaching to the belt at all, so no printing and no strange contortions of the belt. Of course, it's tuckable, too. I think I am going to get one. Already looking for a velcro fastening thin nylon belt like that. Found an Uncle Mike's velcro loop lined inner duty belt (http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/duty_belts.htm) with velcro hook on the end to fasten it. Closest thing I could come up with, though the velcro all the way around makes it thicker. If possible, I will try to remove all except th few inches needed for fastening. Might be attached too well, though.

HeyGuysWatchThis
02-05-2012, 12:00 PM
The guy I learned about the system from uses a loopbelt (http://www.loopbelt.com/Default.asp). He also uses either a Crossbreed or an MTAC, so you shouldn't need to get a different holster. I just wanted this type because it supports the pistol from behind instead of pressing it into my hip from the outside. It should only cost you about $10-12 to try it out.

JFootin
02-05-2012, 01:26 PM
The guy I learned about the system from uses a loopbelt (http://www.loopbelt.com/Default.asp). He also uses either a Crossbreed or an MTAC, so you shouldn't need to get a different holster. I just wanted this type because it supports the pistol from behind instead of pressing it into my hip from the outside. It should only cost you about $10-12 to try it out.

Thanks for the link on the belt. A few bucks and it looks like what I need.

I think that hoster or something similar is essential in this setup. And I don't currently have any OWB holsters. I might go for something of similar shape but all leather if I can find it.

Two questions:

How hard is it to release the gun from retension? Do you just press in toward your body to release it?
Did you get leather or horsehide?

Thanks!

HeyGuysWatchThis
02-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the link on the belt. A few bucks and it looks like what I need.

I think that hoster or something similar is essential in this setup. And I don't currently have any OWB holsters. I might go for something of similar shape but all leather if I can find it.

Two questions:

How hard is it to release the gun from retension? Do you just press in toward your body to release it?
Did you get leather or horsehide?

Thanks!
1. Retention is perfect. It can be held upside down without falling out, but it's easy to hook my middle and ring fingers under the grip and just slip it out.
2. I got the horsehide because it will be against my skin.
3. This is the only slide type holster that I could find where the leather extended past the muzzle and also had a full sweat guard on the top. Usually they don't worry about either of those things with this type because it is meant to go outside your pants. These things were important for me to keep the butt of the gun from digging into me, which I find I am sensitive to.
Since I got mine, they have come out with the SuperSlide also, which can be worn cross draw, as well, if that interests you.

JFootin
02-05-2012, 03:00 PM
1. Retention is perfect. It can be held upside down without falling out, but it's easy to hook my middle and ring fingers under the grip and just slip it out.

Sounds perfect! :)

2. I got the horsehide because it will be against my skin.

Good choice!

3. This is the only slide type holster that I could find where the leather extended past the muzzle and also had a full sweat guard on the top. Usually they don't worry about either of those things with this type because it is meant to go outside your pants. These things were important for me to keep the butt of the gun from digging into me, which I find I am sensitive to.

You're right. The extended leather on an OWB holster is kind of unique to that holster. I think I'll go that route, too. You said it is very thin, and I can see from your pics that it doesn't print at all, even under just a thin T-shirt. And when wearing a shirt it can be tucked in, even a short sleeved summer shirt. Ideal for worry free concealed carry. Thany you again! :)

HeyGuysWatchThis
02-05-2012, 09:49 PM
No problem, friend! Just passing on a good solution that someone else came up with

Mike G6T
02-25-2012, 09:06 PM
I have carried concealed for thirty years. You have a Very Good Solution.

Thank You

JFootin
02-26-2012, 07:37 AM
I have carried concealed for thirty years. You have a Very Good Solution.

Thank You

Welcome to the forum, Mike!

It is a really clever idea, isn't it? I like the tuckable complete concealability of it, with nothing at all showing on the belt. The CrossBreed MiniSlide with the sweat shield option has a unique shape that really works for this application. I have a Kahr CW45 at the top of my list for purchase, and I think this setup will work wonderfully to carry it.

Swad
03-20-2012, 07:11 PM
First off, hello--first time posting after lurking a while researching a CCW firearm (CM9--my first for carry) and ways to carry. Now that I have the CM9, I'm researching like mad how I want to carry. This method caught my eye for a number of reasons. Now that it's been a few months, I had a few questions for you.

1. Do you still carry using this method?
2. If so, do you still like it / find it comfortable to use in most situations? Is it comfortable for long periods of time?
3. If so, do you use this method at all without an undershirt (ie: against bare skin) and does it work well that way?
4. Would it be accurate to say that this method works well for about any attire--jeans, gym type shorts, business causal, etc.?
5. Am I at 20 questions yet? I think I lost count... :)

I look forward to hearing your response. I see many possible benefits from carrying this way and I want to find out if it has lived up to your expectations now that you've been using it for a while--assuming you still carry this way. I know that there isn't necessarily one carry method that works for 100% of all occasions, but it sure seems to me like this one could almost fit the ticket the closest.

MuchoUno
03-20-2012, 07:35 PM
I use this one with the pouch on the side at the 3:00 position. It works much the same as the OP's rig, but much more streamlined and, I'm guessing, more comfortable. It has wonderful retention - I've jogged with it. That's actually the idea behind it, but it also works well for EDC.

http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=ia1321470134895

Swad
03-21-2012, 11:49 AM
I had run across this one as well as the Tactipac Fusionpac. Both seemed like similar ideas in a pre-done package. Do you use yours for EDC, or just active type scenarios (ie: jogging, working out, etc.)?

Any which way, part of my interest in the OP's idea was also that it would give me an OWB holster for colder months when I might wear bulkier clothing and possibly carry using an OWB holster. Two birds, one stone. Most of the time I see myself carrying in a more IWB style at ~4:00 position, however.

jbwk254
03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
The pistol wear holster looks interesting. I was thinking about getting the smart carry. I wonder how that compares to it. Can you post some pictures of it? How well does it work with jeans for deep concealment?

MuchoUno
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I had run across this one as well as the Tactipac Fusionpac. Both seemed like similar ideas in a pre-done package. Do you use yours for EDC, or just active type scenarios (ie: jogging, working out, etc.)?

I've used it for both. Extremely comfortable.

MuchoUno
03-21-2012, 12:54 PM
The pistol wear holster looks interesting. I was thinking about getting the smart carry. I wonder how that compares to it.

It's my understanding that the smart carry is exclusively worn in the front. I prefer to place the pouch of my pistol wear band at the 3:00 to 3:30 position.

jbwk254
03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
It's my understanding that the smart carry is exclusively worn in the front. I prefer to place the pouch of my pistol wear band at the 3:00 to 3:30 position.

Have you tried wearing it under your jeans at 12:00 like the smart carry? If this will work when running and also double for deep concealment, I'll probably pick one up. How does the gun stay in the pouch?

MuchoUno
03-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Have you tried wearing it under your jeans at 12:00 like the smart carry? If this will work when running and also double for deep concealment, I'll probably pick one up. How does the gun stay in the pouch?

Yes. When I use it for running in shorts, I place it in the front. The pouch has sufficient retention to keep it from coming out.

HeyGuysWatchThis
03-21-2012, 06:36 PM
1. Do you still carry using this method?
I still use it, but really only on Saturdays, because I can't wear my gun to work or to church, and this system is not very easy on/off.

2. If so, do you still like it / find it comfortable to use in most situations? Is it comfortable for long periods of time?
Yes, it is comfortable.

3. If so, do you use this method at all without an undershirt (ie: against bare skin) and does it work well that way?
It is most comfortable with an undershirt, but works fine without, also.

4. Would it be accurate to say that this method works well for about any attire--jeans, gym type shorts, business causal, etc.?
It is a very thin holster combination, so it works well with most clothes as long as they are a little bit looser.

Swad
03-22-2012, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the response. I'll take what you mentioned into consideration while I continue to hammer out my main plans for a holster setup for EDC.

Russ
03-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Why not just pocket carry?

I have not done a poll but I would be interested why I believe 3 to 1 people IWB over pocket carry.

What I don't like about IWB is you need to wear two layers of clothing and the outer needs to be a jacket you never remove or another shirt not tucked in. I dress up when I go to work but not enough to wear a suit coat. I wear fitted shirts and a tie and I just can't see how I could carry iwb. I have tried tucking around the holster clip and it doesn't look neat for a dress shirt.

Help me out here can you conceal IWB with one tucked in dress shirt?

On another note if you are wearing sweat pants or gym shorts and jogging and prefer to conceal is a Remora clip less #4 for a 23 oz loaded Beretta Nano going to work especially the pounding of jogging or am I better off with a fanny pack?

I like to tuck in my t shirts and I only want one layer of shirts and o want to conceal when biking or jogging.

And no Jocko on a gun turret mounted on my bike handle bars.

Thanks

Russ

HeyGuysWatchThis
03-25-2012, 09:31 PM

I have not done a poll but I would be interested why I believe 3 to 1 people IWB over pocket carry.

What I don't like about IWB is you need to wear two layers of clothing and the outer needs to be a jacket you never remove or another shirt not tucked in. I dress up when I go to work but not enough to wear a suit coat. I wear fitted shirts and a tie and I just can't see how I could carry iwb. I have tried tucking around the holster clip and it doesn't look neat for a dress shirt.

Help me out here can you conceal IWB with one tucked in dress shirt?

On another note if you are wearing sweat pants or gym shorts and jogging and prefer to conceal is a Remora clip less #4 for a 23 oz loaded Beretta Nano going to work especially the pounding of jogging or am I better off with a fanny pack?

I like to tuck in my t shirts and I only want one layer of shirts and o want to conceal when biking or jogging.

And no Jocko on a gun turret mounted on my bike handle bars.

Thanks

Russ
Wow, lots to respond to, but here goes:

I do pocket carry, but not in my jeans pockets. I can only make it work with a jacket pocket or cargo shorts pockets. The CM9 is just a little too large for me to be comfortable with in my pants pockets (personal preference).

As far as concealing IWB, many of us wear just a single t-shirt, and I often have it tucked in with this system. For me, that is one of the big advantages of this type of carry, you don't have to have a vest, jacket or untucked button up shirt

As for the Remora, no, it would not work in sweatpants--they require a belt to keep them in place if used IWB. Lots of people use a belly band in the appendix position to carry while jogging. I've not tried it with my system, but I think it would be ok.

Russ
03-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Wow, lots to respond to, but here goes:

I do pocket carry, but not in my jeans pockets. I can only make it work with a jacket pocket or cargo shorts pockets. The CM9 is just a little too large for me to be comfortable with in my pants pockets (personal preference).

As far as concealing IWB, many of us wear just a single t-shirt, and I often have it tucked in with this system. For me, that is one of the big advantages of this type of carry, you don't have to have a vest, jacket or untucked button up shirt

As for the Remora, no, it would not work in sweatpants--they require a belt to keep them in place if used IWB. Lots of people use a belly band in the appendix position to carry while jogging. I've not tried it with my system, but I think it would be ok.

Thanks for the advise

Russ

KyWinFan
03-28-2012, 07:24 PM

For guns bigger than .380, IWb can be more comfortable and more concealable, especially in jeans since jeans hug thighs.

What I don't like about IWB is you need to wear two layers of clothing and the outer needs to be a jacket you never remove or another shirt not tucked in.

Nope. 4:00, IWB single fitted dress shirt tucked in. The only requirment is a very thin slide, .9" to .8" slide (Kahr PM9, Diamondback 9mm) paired with a thin skinned holster like Galco's tuk n go. Or extreme thinness is the Versa Carry though after prolonged periods it's a little uncomfortable without an undershirt, depending on how many sharp levers are on the side of your pistol.

N0YZE
03-28-2012, 07:27 PM
forums sure bring ideas together
looks neat i think

expeditiontech
05-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I'd really like to try this method and I have a question about which holster to order.

On the page for the MiniSlide on the CrossBreed site (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/MiniSlide) the only Kahr model available is the P380, which is significantly smaller than the PM/CM models. Which model did you specify when you ordered the holster? Thanks!

HeyGuysWatchThis
05-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Looks like they moved the PM/CM models to the SnapSlide (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/MiniSlide/tabid/95/List/0/ProductID/2/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName)l isting.

Actually, I've since added a Crimson Trace to my pistol, and made a different holster to fit it in the same basic design. So if you are interested, I would sell you mine, PM me for details.