PDA

View Full Version : PM9 recoil assembly - ???

Chogers
01-04-2012, 11:02 AM
So I took apart my PM9 to clean her from my trip to the range and as I slid the recoil spring off the flange assembly the closed end of the spring scratched the flange assembly. Should I be worried? It looks like hell but I wasnt sure if this would cause any problems in the future...:confused:

Also why in the hell would Kahr design that recoil assembly so its impossible for you to clean it without trying to push it open and kill yourself in the process. I just soaked the hell out of it with some Winchester Break Free and blew off the excess with a can of air. :eek:

Thunder71
01-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Aside from the main spring, I never take mine apart...

Dunno.

Chogers
01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Im sorry I should of been more specific. The main spring is the spring I slid off the flange rod. And the closed end of that spring is what scratched the **** out of the flange rod.

Thunder71
01-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Ahh, gotcha... Pics would help, but I don't think it would hurt anything if it is scratched. How close are you to 1200 rounds? Might be worth using this one for range time and getting a new one for carry.

jocko
01-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Im sorry I should of been more specific. The main spring is the spring I slid off the flange rod. And the closed end of that spring is what scratched the **** out of the flange rod.

with that scratrche outter tube either. look at theat outter spirng tip, if it feels sharp, THEN IT IS. file that tip down and even tweek it outward a tad so thatit doesn't come into contact with that outter tube, What ur seeing doesn't hurt a thing but u can smoot thinbgs up a tad, I spraymy outter tube with remington dry spray.

Chogers
01-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Ahh, gotcha... Pics would help, but I don't think it would hurt anything if it is scratched. How close are you to 1200 rounds? Might be worth using this one for range time and getting a new one for carry.

What does 1200 rounds mean? I have about 350 through her now...

Thunder71
01-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Kahr recommends you change them at about 1000 rounds for a carry weapon, or whenever you start noticing problems for a range gun.

Chogers
01-04-2012, 11:42 AM
with that scratrche outter tube either. look at theat outter spirng tip, if it feels sharp, THEN IT IS. file that tip down and even tweek it outward a tad so thatit doesn't come into contact with that outter tube, What ur seeing doesn't hurt a thing but u can smoot thinbgs up a tad, I spraymy outter tube with remington dry spray.

Thanks Jocko. I should of done that before putting it back on, but I figured what the hell the damage has already been done. Im thinking of just buying a new recoil assembly than I wont have to mess with it but than I may have the same problem. You just never know.

Chogers
01-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Kahr recommends you change them at about 1000 rounds for a carry weapon, or whenever you start noticing problems for a range gun.

Thanks Thunder! This is my carry gun so I should be okay.

Thunder71
01-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Yep, you're doing good... Just a note, what I did is retire my carry recoil assembly to range work.

From now on, any time my range assembly gives out I'll order a new carry assembly and keep the process going.

Unless Wolff decides to produce an outer spring for the new style, then I'll just order a bunch of springs. - I don't see myself ever wearing out another carry assembly. :eek:

arizonite
01-04-2012, 12:30 PM
I scratched up the outer tube on my new CM9 the same way 3rd time I cleaned it. I smoothed it out with 000 steel wool.
Thanks to jocko next time I'll fix the problem, not just the result.