PDA

View Full Version : IWB help

3one5
01-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Ok I looking for a IWB and I'm overwhelmed. So many options white hat, GI Fusion and tucker mini IWB or cover up. I would definitely go with the GI fusion if it was a larger gun looks comfey like a crossbread but has leather to protect the gun and is quite. But I have a CM9 and most of you are carring it in a pocket. So it seams to me that a all leater would be the way to go with the size of gun. Witch leads me to the tucker but then I'm stock between the cover up and the mini IWB I like the look of the cover up but feel the mini my be more comfey and less bulke. I'm only 5'3 135lbs so not a big guy. You guys talked me out of the MEX carry now I need help on getting a holster. I also have a custom guy done the rd the is willing to make me a custom leather IWB. Help

Thunder71
01-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Garret Industries, Silent Thunder.
www.giholsters.com

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

Football_Bill
01-06-2012, 07:11 PM
High Noon

3one5
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Garret Industries, Silent Thunder.
www.giholsters.com

Sent using Tapatalk, thanks for supporting it on this site.

How does all that plastic feel next to your body? Ya also he is giving use KT members a $20 off Till jan 15. So hard. Just don't like the look of plastic and seams like it would be rough to carry all day. Leather just feels soft and forgiving. I ware at 3:30 just behind the hip.

JFootin
01-06-2012, 07:26 PM
PJ Holsters Over the Belt Clip IWB (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37). $40 shipped and so comfortable carrying the CM9 that you cannot feel it there at all, all day long. THe sweet spot with this holster is just behind the hip. I carry my CM9 at 8:00 (lefty). It has an fbi cant to it. You can specify cant, ride height, attachment options, tuckable option. Coach Paul will work with you.

Ressom
01-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I had a desantis sof-tuck which has leather and suede material. Now I have a pjholster which is kydex. The pj holster is A LOT more comfortable. I thought the leather/suede would feel better against the skin... I was very wrong.

Markis82
01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I have a PJHolster. http://www.pjholster.com I got an IWB with the over the belt clip for my CM9. It is the best holster I have ever used. It is light weight, thin, and comfortable. The retention is fantastic and adjustable. Had I known about these holsters years ago, I'd have one for each of my guns I holster and I wouldn't have a box of unused holsters. Paul will customize your holster as to cant, ride height, etc... at no extra charge. At $40.00 shipped, it can't be beat. I had a Silent Thunder. They are great holsters. However, I found it to thick and bulky and I sold it. At the same price, I pick the PJ over the Silent Thunder. But at less than half the price the PJ wins hands down.

ltxi
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Except for something like Crossbreed...Kydex on leather...I'll use nothing but quality leather for IWB. And unless excessive sweat/humidity is an issue I believe in cowhide. I have my own favorite makers...Mitch Rosen, El Paso Saddlery, Del Fatti, production Galco, Crossbreed, others....but it's a big world out there. Good luck.

yqtszhj
01-06-2012, 08:41 PM
I have a Don Hume IWB that works well for me. Looks like this one on the Kahr Website.

http://www.kahr.com/PM9-Holsters/Kahr-Don-Hume-IWB-Right-hand-Saddle-Brown.asp

You may can get it cheaper from somewhere else but I think $30 is about what I paid. Very high quality and I appendix carry it at 2 o'clock.

OldLincoln
01-06-2012, 08:51 PM
How does all that plastic feel next to your body? Ya also he is giving use KT members a $20 off Till jan 15. So hard. Just don't like the look of plastic and seams like it would be rough to carry all day. Leather just feels soft and forgiving. I ware at 3:30 just behind the hip.

I have worn the ST for over a year and love it. The times I have worn it without an undershirt (very hot) I found the Kydex cool. It is smooth and did not irritate, stick, or itch the skin at all. Conversely the leather patch in the back of my Perry suspenders drove me nuts sweating, itching and sticking.

I am not a fan of the soft IWB holsters. I got one with my 1911 and after trying it went to another. I now use the soft holster to carry the 1911 in my range bag.

It's a big decision assuming you are serious about carrying. Picture carrying your gun IWB all day every day in an uncomfortable holster. Within 6 months you'll look for an excuse not to carry it that day. I really didn't think I could afford my ST but became convinced with the support here that it was worth it. Now I am a fan boy and repeat the message to you.

The Garretts are very good folks to work with and stand behind their products. The discount is great also.

Markis82
01-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I found my blurry PJ holster pictures. Check out post #4 here... http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=117855&highlight=PJHolster#post117855

340pd
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM
If you are not going to tuck it and your shirt hangs out all the time I would recommend the Silent Thunder. It is the easiest to put on and most secure IWB holster I have ever worn. The gun will re holster with ease and if you have the proper gun belt the clip is very secure. I think the fusion may be the way to go if you are planning to tuck a shirt in. I will be ordering one next week. I anticipate it will be as good or better that the ST but slightly more work to put on and take off. Some on this board are ahead of me in ordering the fusion and I would love to hear their opinions on this product.

http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com/
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/KahrGarrettHolster.jpg

http://www.rgleather.freehomepage.com/
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/RGLEATHER.jpg

3one5
01-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Is anyone familiar with the tucker cover up? How much if any bigger is the GI silent thunder.

onegun
01-07-2012, 08:16 AM
I've tried many IWB holsters as that's my preferred way to carry a medium to large handgun. The only small handgun I have ever carried IWB was a PM9 in a Crossbreed mini-tuck on the weak side. It worked well but I just didn't care for it. I keep trying kydex holsters and keep not liking them. I recently ordered a White Hat for my P239 and a P229 fits better in it. The PJ holster looks good but I'm hesitant to order one since I always decide to come back to leather. I just don't like the feel or 'snick' of kydex. I did have a Silent Thunder for a SIG P239 and it was well made but was the most uncomfortable IWB I have ever worn with that pistol. Generally, If I'm going to carry IWB it's just as easy to carry a larger handgun. A favorite leather holster is the Concealco Select but I've never carried anything smaller that a K9 in it.

LaP
01-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I have a Don Hume IWB that works well for me. Looks like this one on the Kahr Website.

http://www.kahr.com/PM9-Holsters/Kahr-Don-Hume-IWB-Right-hand-Saddle-Brown.asp

You may can get it cheaper from somewhere else but I think $30 is about what I paid. Very high quality and I appendix carry it at 2 o'clock.

I carry a M&P 9c in this holster in 1:00 appendix position.
For my CW9, I use a Bianchi Pro. Also in appendix carry.
Both holsters are comfortable, well made, and affordable.

JFootin
01-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I've tried many IWB holsters as that's my preferred way to carry a medium to large handgun. The only small handgun I have ever carried IWB was a PM9 in a Crossbreed mini-tuck on the weak side. It worked well but I just didn't care for it. I keep trying kydex holsters and keep not liking them. I recently ordered a White Hat for my P239 and a P229 fits better in it. The PJ holster looks good but I'm hesitant to order one since I always decide to come back to leather. I just don't like the feel or 'snick' of kydex. I did have a Silent Thunder for a SIG P239 and it was well made but was the most uncomfortable IWB I have ever worn with that pistol. Generally, If I'm going to carry IWB it's just as easy to carry a larger handgun. A favorite leather holster is the Concealco Select but I've never carried anything smaller that a K9 in it.

Me too on the ST. Great folks, the Garretts, but I couldn't wear the holster for over an hour. Everyone's bodies are different, and there are a lot of very satisfied ST owners. But for me and my CM9, the sort of square sweat shield dug into my spare tire. It was also very thick and very stiff, being made of thick kydex and with that thick, cumbersome clip.

The PJ is made of very thin kydex (still plenty strong, kydex is amazing stuff), so maybe it can flex a little. Like I said, wearing it in the sweet spot just behind my hip it is like it is not there, all day long. And if, for any reason, you don't like it, Paul will take it back and refund your money without complaint (and so will the Garretts).

krmgator
01-07-2012, 09:17 AM
I had wanted to try IWB but was hesitant for a number of reasons. I bought an ACE CASE for my CW9 and really like it. It's also tuckable.

Very inexpensive holster, but well made

http://acecase.com/in-the-pants-holster-leather.html

OldLincoln
01-07-2012, 10:39 AM
If you are not going to tuck it and your shirt hangs out all the time I would recommend the Silent Thunder.

I've never tried to tuck a shirt around my ST although the description says it is tuckable. What is the issue so I can look for it when I try it today?

PS: Beautiful belts!

JFootin
01-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I had wanted to try IWB but was hesitant for a number of reasons. I bought an ACE CASE for my CW9 and really like it. It's also tuckable.

Very inexpensive holster, but well made

http://acecase.com/in-the-pants-holster-leather.html

That's a great price for a leather holster, but doesn't it carry so low it is hard to draw? Good for deep concealment with the tuckable feature, but not for fast deployment.

TriggerMan
01-07-2012, 12:14 PM
How does all that plastic feel next to your body? Ya also he is giving use KT members a $20 off Till jan 15. So hard. Just don't like the look of plastic and seams like it would be rough to carry all day. Leather just feels soft and forgiving. I ware at 3:30 just behind the hip.There is no plastic against your body. Any holster and gun combo is a hard surface. Carrying is comforting but not comfortable.

tv_racin_fan
01-07-2012, 12:21 PM
3one5 give me a shout. I just got a couple of Kholsters in the mail you are welcome to try one out for size. I have a couple of other holsters you are welcome to try as well.

I have every intention of ordering a Garret Industries Fusion in the very near future.

JFootin
01-07-2012, 12:27 PM
There is no plastic against your body. Any holster and gun combo is a hard surface. Carrying is comforting but not comfortable.

It can be perfectly comfortable with a PJ IWB holster and one of these small Kahrs. I do wear underwear, pants, a shirt and or a T-shirt, and a good gun belt. I can't tell you what it would feel like against bare skin. But I bet it would still be comfortable. I can't say if it would be this comfortable with a big gun. I don't have one. Probably something like the CrossBreed would work better for a bigger, heavier gun. Something with two widely spaced belt loops or clips.

Markis82
01-07-2012, 12:35 PM
It can be perfectly comfortable with a PJ IWB holster and one of these small Kahrs. I do wear underwear, pants, a shirt and or a T-shirt, and a good gun belt. I can't tell you what it would feel like against bare skin. But I bet it would still be comfortable. I can't say if it would be this comfortable with a big gun. I don't have one. Probably something like the CrossBreed would work better for a bigger, heavier gun. Something with two widely spaced belt loops or clips.I carry my PJ at the 1:30 position. I live in South West Florida. Because of our warm climate, I never wear any type of undershirt. My holster is against my bare skin 100% of the time. I'll tell you from experience, for me, kydex is more comfortable than leather or horse hide.

jeepster09
01-07-2012, 04:10 PM
My favorite, inexpensive tuckable holster for PM9, PM40 and MK9 and MK40 is one that is made for Kel Tec PF9 and sold on e-bay for $42. Sadly it is to snug for my PM45, but works great for others listed. Very comfortable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260877403847

340pd
01-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I've never tried to tuck a shirt around my ST although the description says it is tuckable. What is the issue so I can look for it when I try it today?

PS: Beautiful belts!

I can't tuck my ST. It would require a different style belt clip. The Fusion is the one that will tuck.

OldLincoln
01-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Hmmm, don't know which belt clip you have but my standard clip tucks just fine. I jusdt tried it for the first time and would wear it this way if my Perry suspender belt clips were tuckable.

You can see in the pic below how the clip mounts low allowing space between the holster body and the clip for your shirt. Is this the way you tried it?

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Holsters/091203_mk9_034.jpg

3one5
01-07-2012, 08:38 PM
3one5 give me a shout. I just got a couple of Kholsters in the mail you are welcome to try one out for size. I have a couple of other holsters you are welcome to try as well.

I have every intention of ordering a Garret Industries Fusion in the very near future.

You are great. Pm sent. Let me
Know.

krmgator
01-07-2012, 09:20 PM
That's a great price for a leather holster, but doesn't it carry so low it is hard to draw? Good for deep concealment with the tuckable feature, but not for fast deployment.

You're right on point. I know it sounds crazy, but concealment is the most important of the two for me.

muggsy
01-07-2012, 09:42 PM
PJ Holsters Over the Belt Clip IWB (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37). $40 shipped and so comfortable carrying the CM9 that you cannot feel it there at all, all day long. THe sweet spot with this holster is just behind the hip. I carry my CM9 at 8:00 (lefty). It has an fbi cant to it. You can specify cant, ride height, attachment options, tuckable option. Coach Paul will work with you.

+1+ JFootin. Best damn IWB holster I've ever worn. Appendix carry with J hook and no cant. Light weight and great retention.

JFootin
01-08-2012, 06:07 AM
+1+ JFootin. Best damn IWB holster I've ever worn. Appendix carry with J hook and no cant. Light weight and great retention.

I tried the J-hook on the first holster I ordered from PJ Holster, but carrying on the side behind my hip I found that, even with the 1 lb CM9, it made my pants sag and the holster would work down in too far to where the J-hook was sitting 1/2" below the belt. It has an fbi cant, so I never tried it for appendix carry. Does it not sag there? And you have no cant on yours, right?

I ended up modifying that holster, cutting off the hook leaving a flat surface where I mounted some hook velcro, and added some loop velcro inside my belt. That solved the sagging problem. That holster is also tuckable, so I will use it for deep cover.

For me, for every day wear behind the hip I prefer the over the belt clip because it supports the weight on top of the belt with no sagging. And it is about as easy on and off as the J-hook. A little more showing in front of my belt, but I cover it with an untucked shirt or a jacket anyway, so no biggie.

Cornhusker
01-08-2012, 09:08 AM
I was influenced by JFootin's posts on pjholsters IWB holster, so I ordered one to try it out. It arrived two or three days ago and it is as he says, VERY comfortable to wear. I carry the CM9 at 3:30 or 4:00 and I can hardly tell it's there. The retention is great and the comfort factor is the best yet. Great carry holster and great price.

340pd
01-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Hmmm, don't know which belt clip you have but my standard clip tucks just fine. I jusdt tried it for the first time and would wear it this way if my Perry suspender belt clips were tuckable.

You can see in the pic below how the clip mounts low allowing space between the holster body and the clip for your shirt. Is this the way you tried it?

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Holsters/091203_mk9_034.jpg

Old Lincon:

You are correct. The ST will tuck. I have a shortened special clip that raises the holster to ride just slightly above my belt line. This allows for a very easy re holster. It also eliminates the bottom of the clip from hanging below the holster making it a very nice compact package. Sadly, that makes the holster very hard to tuck with anything but a tee shirt. There is just not enough room to get a long tail shirt in there without being very obvious. I need to study the geometry of the Fusion. I do want a true tuck-able summer holster that will ride the holster right at my belt line.

OldLincoln
01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
340, thanks for bringing up tucking. Today I decided to expose the suspenders but tuck the ST. It's really good and I don't have to think about it before going out. It slows down the draw to somewhere between the pocket and exposed IWB but not bad. So this is my first day of "tuck" and it's all good.

JFootin
01-08-2012, 11:31 AM
340, thanks for bringing up tucking. Today I decided to expose the suspenders but tuck the ST. It's really good and I don't have to think about it before going out. It slows down the draw to somewhere between the pocket and exposed IWB but not bad. So this is my first day of "tuck" and it's all good.

That's cool, Old Buddy. :) I haven't put the SmartCarry on in a while. When I do, I use suspenders and leave the belt off. My pants are loose enough that I can easily reach down there and draw the gun quickly. But in these cold months, I can just use a jacket to cover it for IWB carry.

rnpollard
01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10356

I make each one by hand in my shop. I guarantee your satisfaction.

Hand made in the USA by an American Veteran!

Take care,

Rick