PDA

View Full Version : KSG's are shipping ....

CJB
01-06-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm gettin' giddy over this, because I paid for mine in March April '10.

With any luck, shipments of the KSG resume when KelTec reopens after break, next Monday. Shouldn't be too very long now.

I can't think of a better zombie gun than the KSG shotgun.... hope they got the choke attachment figured out too (just in case I wanna shoot trap with it).

CJB
01-07-2012, 06:44 AM
http://www.keltecweapons.com/uploaded_files/tinymce/images/KSG_3357web.jpg

I know... the Karh forum... but jeeze this has been a long wait

melissa5
01-07-2012, 07:41 AM
I really like the looks of it, but it's still a shotgun. I wonder how the recoil will be?

CJB
01-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I had a suspicion you'd like that thing...

They say recoil is very light. There are a lot of vids out there showing folks shooting the test units.

I've been able to dig up only one video of a person actually shooting the final product, which is much like KT showed in their update video of about a 10 months ago.

There are now some reports coming back... feed issues. Wonderful. How can a shotgun... a pump shotgun... have feed issues? Then again, I've been known to short stroke either of my 870's on occasion, so it could happen I suppose. There are too m any great shooting guns in videos to allow one newbie to spoil it for me.

Fifteen shots of 12 gauge bliss. I'm rather partial to shooting #7-1/2's in my CQB shotguns. Forget spread. At room size distances, even hallway distances, the spread is inches, maybe six or so, even with an open choke. And, those little 7-1/2's give up their energy upon wall penetration... it seems like an ideal thing.

I wonder what the young gal with child who recently offed the BG had in her 12g?

OldLincoln
01-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Where's the rest of it?! :) I saw the videos also but somehow I doubt my state would allow such a fine weapon.

Bill K
01-07-2012, 10:31 AM
I looks could kill... :)

avengedXT
01-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Is there an official bulletin showing it's been released?

You just tickled my fancy that's been waiting on the KSG since I first heard of it =D

CJB
01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
There is no official bulletin, but KT never does that anyway.

There is one vid on YouTube as of last nite, showing some testing at a range with a "new toy" his KSG

There is also some posting under the KT "update" vid that is from folks who recently got their KSG, and praised (or damned) it. One guy quotes his as serial number in the 300 range.

jocko
01-07-2012, 01:23 PM
it looks mean looking tha tis for sur

jeepster09
01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
:33::blushing:I might get one in a year or so after all the bugs are worked out by the earlier buyers.....

Kind of like the PMR30 22 magnum pistols that died with failures and guns blowing up. :75:
Ya I know the PMR's are still made, but they
have a bad track record.

Longitude Zero
01-07-2012, 08:21 PM
I am like you I am going to wait and let the guinea pigs Beta Test it thoroughly first.

johnh
01-09-2012, 07:42 AM
They look neat but I would hate to have one of the first ones based on my experience with early versions of their products. Hopefully they do better on this one. If they run well I might grab one down the road. It would be a nice home defense gun given the short length.

ORSalesRep
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
I lucked out and found one at a local gun store last Friday. Just dumb luck. Oddly I went to this dealer on Tuesday and asked if they had any in or knew when they might get one. The owner of the store told me that he has had orders placed since the 2011 Shot Show and that the last he heard they are delayed due to the ATF trying to somehow block them due to length and capacity. He said that he hoped to find out more this month at this years Shot Show. Friday I stopped in and one of the other employees who heard my conversation with the owner on Tuesday said hey, look what we got in about 3 hours after you left Tuesday. I handled it, worked out a price and took it with me. I got it for $725.00. I took it to the range Saturday and it is phenomenal. Excellent balance, very light recoil and ran flawlessly. It is my new favorite shotgun and Home Defense Firearm. Funny, I was so excited driving home that I was drifting a little over the speed limit and almost got pulled over. In Ohio, we have to notify if we are carrying concealed. It would have been interesting when I said, "officer, I have a concealed weapons permit and I have a loaded MK9 9mm in a Smart Carry holster on my lower abdomen, a loaded .38 special mounted to my seat under my right thigh, a .45 cal 1911 in the backseat along with a 15 round 26.1" shotgun. What are your instructions regarding the firearms?"

Popeye
01-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Agreed. That is one nasty looking piece of machinery. Good luck with it. Can't wait to hear how it shoots. OOps you beat me. We where typing at the same time.

Bawanna
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
What a relief, I usually fall in love with every gun I see a picture of and it goes right on my must have list. Not so with this one. Doesn't do a thing for me, my dress didn't even start to blow up at all.

I suspect it will be a hot seller for the tupperware rifle crowd though. And that's a good picture.

Well heck, after seeing Orsalesreps actual photos it's already starting to grow on me. Must restrain self.

CJB
01-09-2012, 03:10 PM
GREAT news..... should have one in a short while then.

crazymailman
01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
There's one on GB now!:eek:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267394173

JFootin
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
There's one on GB now!:eek:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267394173

Sold for $1575!!! :eek::eek::eek: No thanks.

Thunder71
01-09-2012, 07:45 PM
I wonder what the guys at my trap league would say if I showed up with that? :)

JFootin
01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
I wonder what the guys in the local street gang would say if I showed up with that? :)

CJB
01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
I lucked out and found one at a local gun store last Friday. Just dumb luck.

If you don't mind me asking (while I wait), what did it come with?
Choke adapter? Forward hand stop? Any of that "stuff" they were "thinking about" including?

CJB
01-09-2012, 08:10 PM
I wonder what the guys in the local street gang would say if I showed up with that? :)

Hopefully it would be adios

kahrnut1
01-09-2012, 09:34 PM
kahrnut1 has been number 1 on local dealer list since the day they anownced it. dealer called last night from shot show and said he had been promised 1 and i needed to get ready its coming. i did this same thing with pf9 serial 032 and they had 6 recalls. at least they did them all at 1 time. somebody has to test them. i guess i'm just that dumb

Cokeman
01-09-2012, 10:34 PM

I thought you stopped hanging out with those guys.

ORSalesRep
01-10-2012, 03:25 AM
If you don't mind me asking (while I wait), what did it come with?
Choke adapter? Forward hand stop? Any of that "stuff" they were "thinking about" including?
It came with the Gun, and a sling and sling attachment hardware. Product manual off course

CJB
01-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Awww ... was hopin for a hand stop

green02crew
07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
I just picked up my KSG the other day so my wife and I decided to take it along with her new pink P380 to the range. The P380 refused to shoot steel cased tulammo but that was expected. I am loving the shotgun and I threw an Eotech on it too. I sighted it in at 25 yards and got some cheap DDupleks Monolit 28 steel slugs. They are extremely accurate. Scary in fact. I almost didn't believe it. I shot 200 yards with no issue and hit a 1x1 foot steel plate. These are low recoil loads and can be used in smooth or rifled barrels so the box says. But really? 18.5" barrel and I hit 200 yards with a slug? Not to mention that it was a low recoil???? And the Eotech was sighted in perfectly from 25yd to 200yd.

CJB
07-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Still waiting for my own.

The "bugs" have been mostly worked out. The initial bad reports from January 2011 were corrected by February 2011 - it was that fast. They made some mods, did a few upgrades to the release levers and such.

My FFL has 35 on order I'm #11... and he's getting them very slowly.

jlottmc
07-29-2012, 04:15 PM
I'll wait on that, and an RFB. I want one just for the firepower, and compactness, same with the RFB.

green02crew
07-29-2012, 04:21 PM
my wait was about 9 weeks including shipping. and price wasn't even close to msrp.

Longitude Zero
07-29-2012, 04:46 PM
I hope that means you paid substantially less than what Kel Tec was quoting as a MSRP of $899. At that price they can keep it as far as I am concerned.

I have read a couple of articles that say KT is only producing approximately 100 guns a day. WTF??? If they are trying to gouge the market on price only 100 guns a day will do that nicely. If they want mainstream buyers they need to ramp up production at least 10 fold.

As I posted before I will NOT pay a premium to get one. I guess I will have to wait a couple of years until the frenzy buyers get theirs and the market will have some degree or normalcy to pricing.

green02crew
07-29-2012, 04:59 PM
LEO pricing. I did okay. I was more posting about the slugs that I hit accurately at 200 yards with it. That was extremely surprising.

CJB
07-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I have read a couple of articles that say KT is only producing approximately 100 guns a day. WTF???

Lets see, 100 guns a day, approximately 250 production days a year, makes for 25000 guns a year. That is not chump change in terms of production. A tenfold increase? That would be 2.5million per year, in a market that supports about 3.5 million new gun sales per year (estimated by the industry).

Maybe something more in terms three times the production.

CJB
07-29-2012, 05:29 PM
I got mine at a good price - preorder reserve price, very low. And thats why I'm waiting!

We have three local, large, gunstore/ranges here. Not one has seen the first KSG whatsoever. Neither did Gander when I was up there for the Mossberg. They're still... dripping thru the channel.

green02crew
07-29-2012, 05:49 PM
actually I think their production is lower than that. they are trying to up it. according to my math if the serial numbers are right on the firearm mine is under 2,400 made. they are not gouging prices at all. your dealer is. they get the same price for every gun your dealer can ask whatever they want. get a new dealer instead of blaming them.

Longitude Zero
07-29-2012, 07:00 PM
I am also really anxious to see if KT can make these weapons in a quality fashion. I have more than ample experience with the crap that they have a past reputation for producing in mass. As to price the stocking dealer price to my local dealer is $999, which is more than I feel the gun is worth to begin with.

KT's reputation for quality is not very good to begin with.

green02crew
07-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Obviously Longitude Zero, you have real issues with Kel-Tec. I've had no experience with them until now but am simply posting from a non-bias view. Your view is quite bias. Your dealer is screwing you plain and simple. Their price should be $300-350 less than that. Kel-Tec makes no more money when your dealer charges more. In speaking with them, the current return is less than a 2% for any issues with them. Not too bad for a gun released from them. They are a small company with small time manufacturing that gives a lifetime warranty. Who cares if it has to go back? They'll get it right eventually and they were the first to make it. You don't like them, don't buy their products. I took a chance and don't regret it.

Longitude Zero
07-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Obviously Longitude Zero, you have real issues with Kel-Tec. I've had no experience with them until now but am simply posting from a non-bias view. Your view is quite bias. Your dealer is screwing you plain and simple. Their price should be $300-350 less than that. Kel-Tec makes no more money when your dealer charges more. In speaking with them, the current return is less than a 2% for any issues with them. Not too bad for a gun released from them. They are a small company with small time manufacturing that gives a lifetime warranty. Who cares if it has to go back? They'll get it right eventually and they were the first to make it. You don't like them, don't buy their products. I took a chance and don't regret it.

I am related to the dealer who gave me the price and it is unquestionably correct.

As to getting it right eventually and how many times a products has to go back that is a silly customer attitude. I know several dealers in my are that stopped carry KT products due to low quality issues. Just because they are a small company is NO EXCUSE for poor quality. Being small they should get it right more often percentage wise than the big boys.

Kel Tec=Raven=Excam=Charter Arms in quality, questionable at best. If they get the shotgun right it will be a first and I will be happy to buy one once it has been proved reliabel in the marketplace.

green02crew
07-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Longitude Zero, the MSRP is $880. That's only suggested. Their actual price is much lower and he's charging you higher? Check his books. And if I were to buy the first thing on the market, I would expect issues. Ever buy a new car when it's the first of that model coming out and it has a recall? No, I imagine that doesn't happen to you. I've put hundreds of rounds through this shotgun without a hiccup. If it had problems, I'd post it. Relax.

Longitude Zero
07-29-2012, 08:19 PM
On cars you are correct it has never happened to me and I have made that leap 3 times in the last 10 years. I would definitely like to hear your experience after say 1200 rounds with at least 400 3" magnums.

Cokeman
07-29-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm waiting for Walmart to start selling them.

green02crew
07-29-2012, 08:36 PM
And someday they may! They already sell Sig rifles.

Scoundrel
07-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Does anyone have ideas about why the recoil is so low? Is that only when fully loaded up with shells (heavy)? Manual shotguns usually have strong recoil. If the KSG is supposed to be lighter than your average shotgun, it should kick more, shouldn't it? Does it have a really good pad or something?

green02crew
07-29-2012, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't say it's better or worse than your average Mossberg 500 as far as recoil goes. It has a decent pad and because of the shorter barrel it's about the same weight by feel as one too when fully loaded. It does push straight back at your shoulder, no angle in it at all, that may help with felt recoil slightly?

johnh
07-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Why go pump when you can have semi-auto?

http://www.srmarms.com/

Semi-auto, bull-pup, four tubes, 16 rounds of .12 gauge....

The ultimate in Zombie slaying lead throwers! :)

Longitude Zero
07-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Interesting concept. I am not pleased the the rotary magazine has to be manipulated in the manner shown on the vidoe but if SRM gets enough of them to market and they are proven out in daily civilian usage I might could go for it. It is WAY to early to tell if the SRM or KSG can stand the pressure the civilian market puts upon them.

Only time will tell.

les strat
07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Even though I am more a traditionalist when it comes to shotguns, that's a cool looking shotty.

I have a LGS that gets stuff before most any other place does because of their high volume sales. I will have to see what they are getting for their's.

green02crew
07-30-2012, 12:09 PM
That is pretty cool. It's about time somebody is coming out with a new design in shotguns. We've seen new styled just about everything else. Two bull pups from to smaller companies. When are the big guys gonna get in and play??

Longitude Zero
07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
When are the big guys gonna get in and play??

About the time their marketing reserach guys say to. You can bet they are watching the market closely and probably have some preliminary designs in the computer maybe even a tool room prototype or two.

Once the market shows sufficient volume they will jump in and in reality trump the two pioneers who by the way bear the brunt of testing and evaluating by public consumption.

If Mossberg/Remington announces a prototype or interest then KT and SRM are in for rough seas as many shooters will wait on an established company with a proven track record in shotguns.

Be not the first by whom the new are tried nor the last to lay the old aside.

green02crew
07-30-2012, 04:59 PM
I found a flaw in the KSG. Unless it's more in the ammo? I have 3 different slugs that I'm looking at. All 3 say 2 3/4 in length. All 3 are different in length, some longer, some shorter. The tubes are exact in measurements and I cannot fit 7 slugs in if they are any measurement over 2.75", can only fit 6. Not a huge flaw, but a flaw. Guess I'll count them more as 3". Ammo manufacturers need to be more exact!

Longitude Zero
07-30-2012, 05:09 PM
I've seen that with shotshell lengths. You are correct the ammo companies need to tighten up quality control on this. But centerfire ammo has the same problems although generally it is not noticeable.

les strat
07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
That is pretty cool. It's about time somebody is coming out with a new design in shotguns. We've seen new styled just about everything else. Two bull pups from to smaller companies. When are the big guys gonna get in and play??

It might be that many folks think Benelli has perfected the shotgun and that there isn't much more useful to add or change.

Scoundrel
07-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Why go pump when you can have semi-auto?
http://www.srmarms.com/
Semi-auto, bull-pup, four tubes, 16 rounds of .12 gauge....
The ultimate in Zombie slaying lead throwers! :)

Why? I can give you 1600 reasons why.

But I can summarize with just this: The SRM 1216 goes for $2400!! :eek:

So, I'll be waiting for round 2 of the KSG and will happily pay $750-$800 for one.

johnh
07-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Now, now guys are paying nearly that for KSGs in local shops. A fellow bought one from a dealer friend of mine at just over $1000, went across town and traded it to another dealer for $1600, who then sold it for $1800.

I agree, all of the above options are too expensive. If you really want a shotgun that can hold a lot of ammo, buy a Saiga 12. True they have gotten inflated in price lately, but properly configured they work quite well. For me, a tube fed meets all my needs.

Longitude Zero
07-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Now, now guys are paying nearly that for KSGs in local shops. A fellow bought one from a dealer friend of mine at just over $1000, went across town and traded it to another dealer for $1600, who then sold it for $1800.

Gotta love it. This is the dictionary definiton of GOUGING. IMHO I agree that the Saiga serves a defined purpose. I sure would not want to tote one for upland bird hunting tho.