PDA

View Full Version : PM45 break-in: 4th report

hsart
01-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Ran 80 more rounds through my new PM45 today making it around 530 rounds since I bought it new. My last report I mentioned the one remaining issue - one out of 20 rounds hitting me in the forehead or safety lens. The ammo today was evenly divided between Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ and Federal 230gr FMJ. Since my last range trip I did not clean the handgun and am trying to figure out how many rounds I can put through it before cleaning again. I found out that answer today as the PM45 did not function as well as the last range trip. I had two rounds hit me squarely in center of the forehead (which was a better ratio than the first three range trips - each of which I was getting plunked one in 20 rounds). The main problem today is that I had six rounds where the slide remained open each time after firing with a full or almost full magazine - not all the way but about 90% of the way back - and did not cycle properly. Each time I checked the status of the round in the chamber and it seemed in good position. The solution was to merely pull the slide back the rest of the way and release. Each time I did this the gun proceeded to fire fine. There was one time this happened twice in a row - the others were single incidences. I'm thinking that perhaps I have a faulty magazine - I did not mark the magazine that this was happening with but will do that on my next range trip and report. I use the 2 mags that came with the gun from the factory. I plan on doing a thorough clean and lube before the next range trip and also will use some different loads next time - some 180gr FMJs along with the reaming Federals I have from a 250 round bulk box just purchased for $100. Seems like the 45 ACP ammo is getting more available. Still not seeing much (or any really) 380 ACP in stores or online. One word about the recoil: I have had hand problems for several years and was not sure about my ability to handle the PM45. My hand problems seem to be getting worse, but I have had no problems controlling this handgun. I would not hesitate to buy this handgun if you are worried about the recoil. After over 500 rounds now the gun has definitely loosened up and is a pleasure to carry in my Mitch Rosen belt slide at around 4 o'clock position. Looking forward to trying out the new P380 as a second carry. The bottom line after today is that I still cannot 100% trust this handgun when it is needed,but getting there. I am planning to find the right combo of cleaning and the right loads for mine and will make sure the mags are operating correctly..

mr surveyor
01-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I clean after every range trip... especially with a new, tight handgun.

Never put away a wet horse, or a dirty gun. The torture test commandos out there will rave about the thousands of rounds they put through their brand x, but to me, that's a sensless excercise leading to totally unnecessary wear and tear, and begging for troubles down the road.

just my opinions

surv

Vinikahr
01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Ran 80 more rounds through my new PM45 today making it around 530 rounds since I bought it new. My last report I mentioned the one remaining issue - one out of 20 rounds hitting me in the forehead or safety lens. The ammo today was evenly divided between Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ and Federal 230gr FMJ. Since my last range trip I did not clean the handgun and am trying to figure out how many rounds I can put through it before cleaning again. I found out that answer today as the PM45 did not function as well as the last range trip. I had two rounds hit me squarely in center of the forehead (which was a better ratio than the first three range trips - each of which I was getting plunked one in 20 rounds). The main problem today is that I had six rounds where the slide remained open each time after firing with a full or almost full magazine - not all the way but about 90% of the way back - and did not cycle properly. Each time I checked the status of the round in the chamber and it seemed in good position. The solution was to merely pull the slide back the rest of the way and release. Each time I did this the gun proceeded to fire fine. There was one time this happened twice in a row - the others were single incidences. I'm thinking that perhaps I have a faulty magazine - I did not mark the magazine that this was happening with but will do that on my next range trip and report. I use the 2 mags that came with the gun from the factory. I plan on doing a thorough clean and lube before the next range trip and also will use some different loads next time - some 180gr FMJs along with the reaming Federals I have from a 250 round bulk box just purchased for $100. Seems like the 45 ACP ammo is getting more available. Still not seeing much (or any really) 380 ACP in stores or online. One word about the recoil: I have had hand problems for several years and was not sure about my ability to handle the PM45. My hand problems seem to be getting worse, but I have had no problems controlling this handgun. I would not hesitate to buy this handgun if you are worried about the recoil. After over 500 rounds now the gun has definitely loosened up and is a pleasure to carry in my Mitch Rosen belt slide at around 4 o'clock position. Looking forward to trying out the new P380 as a second carry. The bottom line after today is that I still cannot 100% trust this handgun when it is needed,but getting there. I am planning to find the right combo of cleaning and the right loads for mine and will make sure the mags are operating correctly..

WOW :84:

Did you sent it to Kahr for service?
I ran 200 rounds to my CW45 yesterday and only one FTF, but it was my fault, I limp wrist it. It was a pleasure to shoot. :smash: Thanks for the report.

Vinikahr
01-24-2010, 09:40 PM
I clean after every range trip... especially with a new, tight handgun.

Never put away a wet horse, or a dirty gun. The torture test commandos out there will rave about the thousands of rounds they put through their brand x, but to me, that's a sensless excercise leading to totally unnecessary wear and tear, and begging for troubles down the road.

just my opinions

surv

Good points, after breaking in my CW45, I consider it to be reliable and ready for use. I will cycle once in a while maybe 50 rounds and that is it. As I mentioned before the POU of Kahrs are as defensive weapons and not a service or war weapons. Money is very hard to come by this days :eek:. :84:

hsart
01-24-2010, 10:26 PM
WOW :84:

Did you sent it to Kahr for service?
I ran 200 rounds to my CW45 yesterday and only one FTF, but it was my fault, I limp wrist it. It was a pleasure to shoot. :smash: Thanks for the report.
I'm putting off calling Kahr as I first want to be absolutely certain what the failure to recycle problem is - defective mag, dirty gun, or operator error (as I may be experiencing hand-fatigue after 30 or so rounds).

mr surveyor
01-24-2010, 10:40 PM
may try giving it a thorough cleaning/lube and have another experienced shooter give it a try. If you are in fact experiencing wrist fatigue, that could easily be a source of some of the problems ... I don't like the term "limp wristing", but that's the accepted term. I would also try loading the magazine with only 5 rounds at a time to check for overall reliability... if all is well with 5rounds, then work your way to full mags. Often another shooter can help prove a gun.

Just a thought

surv

Vinikahr
01-25-2010, 06:14 AM
may try giving it a thorough cleaning/lube and have another experienced shooter give it a try. If you are in fact experiencing wrist fatigue, that could easily be a source of some of the problems ... I don't like the term "limp wristing", but that's the accepted term. I would also try loading the magazine with only 5 rounds at a time to check for overall reliability... if all is well with 5rounds, then work your way to full mags. Often another shooter can help prove a gun.

Just a thought

surv

I like wrist fatigue much better. I used the term brutal in another post and it create it great controversy to some.

deadhead1971
01-25-2010, 06:32 AM
The ammo today was evenly divided between Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ and Federal 230gr FMJ

What's the difference between total metal jacket and full metal jacket? I just bought some Lawman TMJ ammo.

In-Yo-Grill
01-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Yep...I'd say you need to give it a good cleaning and make sure it's completely reliable before trying any experiments on how long it can go without being cleaned. Especially if you plan to carry the gun.

I went ahead and sent my P45 back to Kahr because of the consistent FTE's I was getting. I gave it to the 700rnd mark before calling. I should get it back next week sometime and get her back out to the range.

hsart
01-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Yep...I'd say you need to give it a good cleaning and make sure it's completely reliable before trying any experiments on how long it can go without being cleaned. Especially if you plan to carry the gun.

I went ahead and sent my P45 back to Kahr because of the consistent FTE's I was getting. I gave it to the 700rnd mark before calling. I should get it back next week sometime and get her back out to the range.
I would be interested in hearing how you felt Kahr service was in solving the problem.

hsart
01-25-2010, 08:59 AM
What's the difference between total metal jacket and full metal jacket? I just bought some Lawman TMJ ammo.
I'll quote another forum's response (which I agree with) to this question: "The FMJ is jacketed everywhere except the base, which you don't see when it is loaded in a case. The TMJ is jacketed everywhere including the base.
The TMJ shouldn't put as much, if any lead in the air, or in the range area until it hits the backstop."