PDA

View Full Version : V-Line > GunVault

Thunder71
01-09-2012, 06:03 AM
So my GunVault fell to the depths of GunVault woes when it ate 2 sets of batteries now in 2 months (8 AA batteries each time). I contacted the manufacturer and they are sending a replacement, apparently there's a known issue with the circuit board. That said, I'll probably sell it or worst case, use it as a non-emergency safe, I just do not trust it anymore.

Well, that's not a warm and fuzzy feeling when you consider why you have a handgun in a safe next to your bed. It's not for leisurely plinking.

Yesterday, while at Cabela's, I stumbled across (OK, was half looking for) the V-Line Top Draw safe. This safe requires no AC or DC power (no cords, no batteries), has a push button user changeable combination and is a nice size. No batteries means no more surprise lockouts! It's not inexpensive, but on par with the GunVault I have.

Just thought I'd post this up for anyone looking for a new (or replacement) safe, I'm really happy with it.

Also just FYI, I also picked up a 2-pack of Liberty LED safe lights while I was there, I had low expectations but figured it was worth a try. I'm blown away at how awesome they are! Very bright, adjustable aim and auto on/off capability with selectable timer from Off/30sec/60sec off time. One light is good for my whole safe and it comes on before I can even see it do so, perfect.

The other one I placed in my new V-Line safe, works great in there as well and I have it aimed so that it doesn't blind me when I open it up.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_223551_999_alt01_02?rgn=0,0,2000,1090&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=2Iwr_aGBAT7bdLl1ECBoBv

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_230773_999_01?rgn=0,0,2000,1819&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=3gORu4gyDQEtDCJne82wsy

KMA
01-09-2012, 08:16 AM
It looks very nice. I had never heard of it, but I like it; I dislike digital/biometric safes. How good is the mechanical lock system, are the buttons and the knob tight or do they have a lot of play?

Thunder71
01-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Buttons are tight and you can use multiple buttons per entry (however buttons can only be used one time for the combination). Knob has some play, but it's 100% mechanical and there's positive feedback on actions (button clicks, knob lock/unlock).

Seems to be built very well (it's about 10 pounds).

KMA
01-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Buttons are tight and you can use multiple buttons per entry (however buttons can only be used one time for the combination). Knob has some play, but it's 100% mechanical and there's positive feedback on actions (button clicks, knob lock/unlock).

Seems to be built very well (it's about 10 pounds).

Thanks a lot, I might give it a try.