PDA

View Full Version : MK40 in the house

O'Dell
01-10-2012, 02:34 PM
I have been curious since last Thursday just exactly what I bought for $599 + $10 shipping. New MK40's seem to be selling for quite a bit more particularly with night sights, so when my LGS called yesterday, I dropped everything to go pick it up. I'm quite pleased - it is indeed a new MK40 Model 4043N, still sealed in plastic with the Kahr oil still dripping from it. The numbers on the case agree and everything that should be there is.

This is where it gets strange. I called Kahr today to get a build date, and it turns out that this Kahr was born exactly 64 years after me, February 29, 2008. Yes, we share the same birthday, and that's odd because that date only comes around every 1461 days. I'm taking this as some sort of Karma that we were destined to get together. Whatever happens, it will be a keeper.

I did the usual prep yesterday, minus the hand racking, and if it rains tomorrow as is predicted, I will shoot it. I did rack a mag through it and it loaded and forcefully ejected the live rounds as it should. That's usually a good sign.

BTW, Wynn, I used another fancy brass catcher in the photos. :)

JFootin
01-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Man, that's amazing about the birth date! That gun was made for you!

Barth
01-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Mine was tight as a drum from the factory.
Took 200+ rounds to loosen up.
And 200+ more to completely break in.
Be patient with her.

Now it's flawless and a work of art to own and shoot.

I do recommend tightening all four grip screws after shooting.
The little monster will unscrew them after about 200 rounds - LOL.

Enjoy!

O'Dell
01-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Mine was tight as a drum from the factory.
Took 200+ rounds to loosen up.
And 200+ more to completely break in.
Be patient with her.

Now it's flawless and a work of art to own and shoot.

I do recommend tightening all four grip screws after shooting.
The little monster will unscrew them after about 200 rounds - LOL.

Enjoy!

Mine wasn't any tighter that my other Kahrs. I shot 150 rounds of bulk, blunt nosed ball and 28 rounds of Georgia Arms HP and she performed like a champ. Maybe sitting on a shelf somewhere for four years loosened her up. We leap year children were always high achievers. :D Although they are the same size, I shot the MK40 quite a bit better than my PM9 - it probably relates to the half pound of extra weight.

This was my last target with the HP's, and in deference to my aching shoulder and the small pistol, I shot at 25 rather than my usual 30-35 feet. Since I had determined she shot a bit high, I had adjusted for it. Under the circumstances, I'll take a 2 inch group.

TucsonMTB
01-11-2012, 12:04 PM
This was my last target with the HP's, and in deference to my aching shoulder and the small pistol, I shot at 25 rather than my usual 30-35 feet. Since I had determined she shot a bit high, I had adjusted for it. Under the circumstances, I'll take a 2 inch group.
Impressive results! Here's hoping your surgeon has a similarly good day. I'll be looking forward to seeing you back in good health. :)

jocko
01-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Mine wasn't any tighter that my other Kahrs. I shot 150 rounds of bulk, blunt nosed ball and 28 rounds of Georgia Arms HP and she performed like a champ. Maybe sitting on a shelf somewhere for four years loosened her up. We leap year children were always high achievers. :D Although they are the same size, I shot the MK40 quite a bit better than my PM9 - it probably relates to the half pound of extra weight.

me sick to my stomach:blah:

Bawanna
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
No tell tale marks where he used a pencil to poke them holes in the target. Usually when I do that there's signs of lead that kind of smear. Really have to look for it.

I mean if I ever did that which of course you know I wouldn't, right?

KMA
01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Very nice firearm. Congrats! Make sure that you never separate from your birthday companion. Happy birthday to both of you!

jeepster09
01-11-2012, 04:20 PM

You s*** oops I mean good shooting :D I am jealous :w00t:

yqtszhj
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Good Shootin there O'Dell.

How does the .40 cal recoil on the MK compare to the PM9 recoil? With the extra weight of the MK is it about the same?

O'Dell
01-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Good Shootin there O'Dell.

How does the .40 cal recoil on the MK compare to the PM9 recoil? With the extra weight of the MK is it about the same?

I think the MK40 Is the softest shooting of any of my six previous polymer Kahrs. I'm sure that I can be more accurate overall with the CW40 or 45, but that's size related, not recoil. I had never shot one of these all steel Kahrs before today, and I didn't realize how nice they can be. For me, it's still a close quarters pistol. I do wish they'd make a MK45. That might make me forget the stolen PM45.

JFootin
01-12-2012, 07:37 AM
So, it shoots even lighter than a polymer 9 Kahr? Hmm, very interesting....

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Misc/arteintresting.jpg

You know, O'Dell, the K40 would give you a longer sight picture like the CW and is 1 ounce heavier, but will still carry well on the waist with a good holster. The K45 isn't going to happen, so a K40 Elite might be a nice acquisition.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Miscellanious%20Guns%20and%20Holsters/KahrK40EliteR.jpg

Actually, I see that this one is a Covert and mirror polished all over. Any wonder why I like this pic? :D

O'Dell
01-12-2012, 03:07 PM
That's a beautiful pistol, J - how did you do the polishing? The K40 is the same size as the P40 and slightly smaller than my CW. The big difference between the dimensions of the steel and polymer pistols is obviously the weight. Even in a belt holster, weight is critical to me. That's why I have been carrying the CW40 so much even though I would prefer a 45. The CW 45 I traded for a couple of weeks ago will solve that problem. The 45 is slightly heavier than the 40, but still quite a bit less than my other 45's or the MK and K series guns. I now have five or six 45's that are the same weight or lighter than the MK and K 40 cal guns. The advantages of the MK40 I bought to me are one, I got a great price, and two, it's pocketable like the PM9 and LCP, but fires a more powerful round. It's still heavy for it's size, but I can live with that.

I know you're probably right about a MK45 or K45, because Kahr has had plenty of time to build them and hasn't. But, I still wonder why they haven't. After shooting the MK40, a MK45 makes more sense to me than a PM45, but we do have those.

JFootin
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
The gun isn't mine. I just found the pics on the web.

jocko
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Jfootin: I need a motorcycle helmt like ur avitar!!!!!!

JFootin
01-12-2012, 03:47 PM

It's called the Pickelhaube helmet. Here's some info: http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/

O'Dell
01-12-2012, 05:26 PM

Hey Jocko, are you highjacking my thread? I'm gonna have to report you to Bawanna!! :rolleyes:

Bawanna
01-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I want one too but I got a huge head.

You guys quit jackin O'Dells thread now hear? Damn kids these days.

yqtszhj
01-12-2012, 06:05 PM

We know what to get Jocko for his birthday now.

JFootin
01-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I want one too but I got a huge head.

I think some of those Germans had huge heads. Remember Sergeant Shultz?

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Misc/tvGuide06may1967p16SchultzPictureLa.jpg

jlottmc
01-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Umm we passed the shiney point some time ago. IIRC, there was even a real shiney too. Besides, us not jack a thread, let me know how that works out for you.

O'Dell
01-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Umm we passed the shiney point some time ago. IIRC, there was even a real shiney too. Besides, us not jack a thread, let me know how that works out for you.

Maybe I'm just old and not 'hip', but I don't have a clue to what you're saying. Translation Please.

jlottmc
01-14-2012, 01:35 PM
The shiney refers to a joke we had here some time back, in reference to A.D.D. The point being that we tend to have very short attention spans, and that shiney will draw us off topic like a flame draws a moth. The us jacking a thread part is a reference to the most common complaint that this forum sees especially from newer folks. Now, I know you have been here long enough to know about those things, so I suppose it must be the senility taking over.

O'Dell
01-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Yep, been here a while, but I never picked up on the shiny thing except where it refers to guns. In that respect, I like shiny! As for as thread jacking thing, I sorta understood, and this has always been a endearing part of KT to me, except when it's my thread of course.

jlottmc
01-14-2012, 04:14 PM
I forget the thread where we were discussing that shiny part, and I can't spell for beans sorry bout that.

JFootin
01-14-2012, 05:10 PM
.....Oh, shiny! :2eek::tongue:

jocko
01-14-2012, 05:39 PM
jacking a thread is OK, as it seems we eventually get back on point and even sometimes we learn something from someone whom we feel might have jacked a thread. It never bothered me, most all of my threads have been jacked and rejacked. Hellif u can't jack a thread then ur not a "man".