PDA

View Full Version : Emily gets her gun

aray
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
For those of you in sane states where it is easy to get a gun, you might like to see the very interesting series posted by Emily Miller of the Washington Times (not to be confused with the liberal and more well known Washington Post).

She is documenting her quest to obtain a gun in the District of Columbia, and how hard / byzantine they have deliberately made the process. She's weeks into the process and still not quite through the entire thing.

Anyway, it makes for a good read. Check out the series at:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/5/miller-emily-gets-her-gun/

(FYI a couple of times she mentions trying a Kahr in the series, but she didn't like it so much.)

HDoc
01-13-2012, 03:23 PM
She is documenting her quest to obtain a gun in the District of Columbia, and how hard / byzantine they have deliberately made the process. She's weeks into the process and still not quite through the entire thing.

(FYI a couple of times she mentions trying a Kahr in the series, but she didn't like it so much.)

I agree with the premise of the article, but she also (a complete gun newbie) whines about having to get range time with her safety course.
I have no problem with the permitting authority to require the NRA/NRA
equiv. course plus an hour of range time before allowing a citizen to carry
a CCW. Man, can you imagine thousands of folks with no idea of trigger
discipline, basic safety, or knowledge running around with weapons on their person? Can you imagine counting the holes in their ceilings, floors,walls,
or children or maybe me?

TriggerMan
01-13-2012, 05:05 PM
For those of you in sane states where it is easy to get a gun, you might like to see the very interesting series posted by Emily Miller of the Washington Times (not to be confused with the liberal and more well known Washington Post).

(FYI a couple of times she mentions trying a Kahr in the series, but she didn't like it so much.)Interesting series of articles. It looks like she quickly became a good shot/

Bill K
01-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks for sharing. Is there anyway of following her story without having a Twitter account?

wyntrout
01-13-2012, 07:36 PM
I agree with the premise of the article, but she also (a complete gun newbie) whines about having to get range time with her safety course.
I have no problem with the permitting authority to require the NRA/NRA
equiv. course plus an hour of range time before allowing a citizen to carry
a CCW. Man, can you imagine thousands of folks with no idea of trigger
discipline, basic safety, or knowledge running around with weapons on their person? Can you imagine counting the holes in their ceilings, floors,walls,
or children or maybe me?

It's called FREEDOM and it's not limited to 21-year olds with government-required course and licenses and fees. We expect 18-year olds to go to war and maybe die for their country and be responsible for their own actions... AND VOTE... but no drinking of alcohol or carrying a firearm. That's wrong.

Consider what our founding fathers had in mind when they wrote the U.S. Constitution... I'll bet you didn't have to be 18 for a lot of stuff back then... and certainly not 21 to be legally able to defend yourself with a firearm!

Anyone but violent felons and the adjudged criminally insane or medically incompetent should be able to carry without fee or permit. That's constitutional carry... freedom.

Wynn

LMT42
01-13-2012, 07:40 PM
"After the man left, I was still suspicious so I went inside, grabbed my ********** and clicked on the icon for the camera. I walked down the street, and as I turned the corner, I saw about 15 scruffy young men standing around two pickup trucks. We were at the end of a woody, dead-end road."

Glad she got her gun, now she needs some common sense to go with it. Armed or not, she should have stayed inside the house and called the cops.

JFootin
01-13-2012, 08:57 PM
It's called FREEDOM and it's not limited to 21-year olds with government-required course and licenses and fees. We expect 18-year olds to go to war and maybe die for their country and be responsible for their own actions... AND VOTE... but no drinking of alcohol or carrying a firearm. That's wrong.

Consider what our founding fathers had in mind when they wrote the U.S. Constitution... I'll bet you didn't have to be 18 for a lot of stuff back then... and certainly not 21 to be legally able to defend yourself with a firearm!

Anyone but violent felons and the adjudged criminally insane or medically incompetent should be able to carry without fee or permit. That's constitutional carry... freedom.

Wynn

+1 and amen!

HDoc
01-14-2012, 07:20 AM

Wynn
So for instance you don't believe in folks having driving lessons before getting on the road? Remember that for years, no one needed one for autos because transportation was considered a necessity and a right.
As for the military, how much training did you have to get before you were considered qualified to use even small arms? Hundreds of hours? Different training with every change in weapon or caliber? Training in poor visibility, winter training, night training etc. Sorry, I don't want citizens with no idea of the lethality of the hardware they bought to be walking the streets without a minimal of NRA or military training. With freedom comes responsibility.

KMA
01-14-2012, 09:12 AM

Wynn

Very good post! You are so right!

TriggerMan
01-14-2012, 12:56 PM
So for instance you don't believe in folks having driving lessons before getting on the road? Remember that for years, no one needed one for autos because transportation was considered a necessity and a right.
As for the military, how much training did you have to get before you were considered qualified to use even small arms? Hundreds of hours? Different training with every change in weapon or caliber? Training in poor visibility, winter training, night training etc. Sorry, I don't want citizens with no idea of the lethality of the hardware they bought to be walking the streets without a minimal of NRA or military training. With freedom comes responsibility.Well stated.

I was at the indoor range yesterday. About two minutes after apparently day dreaming through the safety rules, the guy in the lane next to me starts uncasing a rifle and a .45 behind the firing line, intending to carry them up to the shooting station. As I intercepted him, the RO arrived to remind him to only uncase with, weapon muzzle pointed downrange, AT THE FIRING STATION WHILE BETWEEN BULLET PROOF PARTITIONS. He acted like he didn't grasp the safety implication of what he tried to do.

Folks, it's about reinforcing good safety HABITS....100% of the time. I'm sure someone thinks what's the big deal. It was probably unloaded as brought from home. Right. One LGS has a glass vase about 14 inches high and large enough to hold a dozen roses nearly filled with live rounds taken from supposedly unloaded/empty guns brought in for service, consultation or trade in appraisals.

Now the best part. The idiot in the above story was helping orient a novice shooter. Heard him ask, "Do you want me to load that mag for you" and "do this like so". The novice was actually safer as I oberved over the next ten minutes. The older guy, about 50, was an inattentive idiot who shouldn't own a gun. He was continually stepping back out of his station, .45 in hand WITH HIS F'ing FINGER ON THE TRIGGER! He'll eventually shot someone's foot, hopefully only his own. What a dunce! end rant.

I left a few minutes early and advised the newly arrived RO to watch him. For some reason Friday around 12:15 was absolutely packed in there.

wyntrout
01-14-2012, 01:13 PM
As for the military, how much training did you have to get before you were considered qualified to use even small arms? Hundreds of hours? Different training with every change in weapon or caliber? Training in poor visibility, winter training, night training etc. Sorry, I don't want citizens with no idea of the lethality of the hardware they bought to be walking the streets without a minimal of NRA or military training. With freedom comes responsibility.

You're mixing rights and "privileges". Driving on publicly maintained roads is a privilege, not a right. Careless used, a car is a large convenience capable of being used or "misused" as a weapon of mass destruction and murder. It's not your living room sofa, which won't kill anyone if you're texting or trying to make eye contact with your buds in the passenger areas.

I don't think that anyone should be driving on our public roads until they are at least 18 and have completed a REAL driving school... not the ones most of our kids are limited to in public school. In Europe CHILDREN aren't permitted to drive as ours are. It's costly and training is more comprehensive.

Self-defense is a HUMAN right... and we shouldn't be limited or restricted in carrying concealed or openly-carried weapons, but I'm not a FAN of open carry, either. I have nothing to prove and I want the element of surprise to aid me, not warn others that I'm a threat to be taken out early... or be robbed of my weapon.

Wynn:)

TriggerMan
01-14-2012, 01:59 PM
You're mixing rights and "privileges". Driving on publicly maintained roads is a privilege, not a right. Careless used, a car is a large convenience capable of being used or "misused" as a weapon of mass destruction and murder. It's not your living room sofa, which won't kill anyone if you're texting or trying to make eye contact with your buds in the passenger areas.

I don't think that anyone should be driving on our public roads until they are at least 18 and have completed a REAL driving school... not the ones most of our kids are limited to in public school. In Europe CHILDREN aren't permitted to drive as ours are. It's costly and training is more comprehensive.

Self-defense is a HUMAN right... and we shouldn't be limited or restricted in carrying concealed or openly-carried weapons, but I'm not a FAN of open carry, either. I have nothing to prove and I want the element of surprise to aid me, not warn others that I'm a threat to be taken out early... or be robbed of my weapon.

Wynn:)We all the get the rights vs priviledges arguement. I think we need to be practical too. No one is irreparibly harmed by getting trained in safety matters. Your freedom ends where my body starts. I live in a real world not a theorectical one.

HDoc
01-14-2012, 03:15 PM
We all the get the rights vs priviledges arguement. I think we need to be practical too. No one is irreparibly harmed by getting trained in safety matters. Your freedom ends where my body starts. I live in a real world not a theorectical one.

Better said than me, but it reflects my sentiments. And of course
I don't think anyone here is talking about ultimately restricting anyone's
( bar felons; mentally unbalanced; or occupy Wall Street demonstrators) right to bear arms.

kramm
01-15-2012, 01:17 PM
The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. I must have missed the part that says unless this or that happens.

wyntrout
01-15-2012, 01:22 PM
The right to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed. I must have missed the part that says unless this or that happens.

That's the Larry the Cable Guy version... keep and BARE arms.

Wynn:D

kramm
01-15-2012, 01:43 PM

OOPs ,

JFootin
01-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Good catch there, Wynn! ROFLMAO!!!

wyntrout
01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51856FQN6NL._SS500_.jpg

The right to BARE ARMS.

HDoc
01-15-2012, 03:17 PM
The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. I must have missed the part that says unless this or that happens.

Must of forgotten the first part: "A well regulated Militia"

jlottmc
01-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Look at that phrase in the context it was written. At the time well regulated meant disciplined, proficient in the use of, not ruled and outlawed to death.

HDoc
01-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Look at that phrase in the context it was written. At the time well regulated meant disciplined, proficient in the use of, not ruled and outlawed to death.
And at that time weapons were single shot, breech loading muskets.
Just saying....

wyntrout
01-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Just saying....

Muzzle-loading rifles and muskets... and shotguns.

That was one of the colonists' big advantages... some were armed with RIFLES and proficient at shooting beyond musket ranges.

HDoc
01-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Muzzle-loading rifles and muskets... and shotguns.

That was one of the colonists' big advantages... some were armed with RIFLES and proficient at shooting beyond musket ranges.

I didn't realize that they had rifled barrels in the 1770's. That true?
I always figured that a rifle was a musket with a rifled barrel.

The lineage of the Civil War rifle-musket reaches back to early-17th-century France. About 1610, the muzzleloading, smoothbore flintlock musket was invented as an improvement on the matchlock musket, a similar firearm that depended on a lit match for ignition. As the name muzzleloading, smoothbore flintlock musket suggests, the gun was loaded (with loose gunpowder and a round ball) at the mouth of its barrel. The bore, or inside of the barrel, was smooth; unlike the later rifle-muskets, it contained no spiral rifling grooves to force the projectile to spin evenly and thus travel rapidly in a straight line like a spiraling football. The ignition system featured a hammer–called a cock–that held a small piece of flint. When the shooter pulled the trigger, the **** fell and scraped the flint against a rough piece of metal known as the frizzen pan cover. This showered sparks onto loose gunpowder in the frizzen pan, which then ignited the main powder charge inside the barrel, behind the projectile. The British army beat the French army to the punch and officially adopted the weapon in 1682. It eventually became the standard infantry firearm of Europe and America and remained so until the muzzleloading rifle-musket replaced it in the 1850s.
http://www.historynet.com/weaponry-the-rifle-musket-and-the-mini-ball.htm

tv_racin_fan
01-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Must of forgotten the first part: "A well regulated Militia"

So which MILITIA do you belong to before you got your first firearm?

You will of course also note that it does not say one must belong to any such militia. Just that a MILITIA is neccessary for the security of the free state. Kinda hard to form a militia if no one has the arms aint it?

tv_racin_fan
01-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Yes the colonists had rifles. Kentucky Rifle ring a bell? At the time Armies were outfitted with Muskets but hunters in many instances had rifles. The British army outfitted with the Infantry Rifle (Baker Rifle) starting in 1801. That was loosely modeled after a Jaeger Rifle which Hessian Mercenary units used in the US Revolution. Jeagers were first recruited into German armies around 1755 and they supplied their own arms so rifles were around before then.

wyntrout
01-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Early American frontiersmen and conlonial hunters had some rifles. Here's some info from Wikipedia:

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle )

"The performance of early muskets was effective for the styles of warfare at the time, whereby soldiers tended to stand in long, stationary lines and fire at the opposing forces. Precise aiming and accuracy were not necessary to hit an opponent. Muskets were used for comparatively rapid, imprecisely aimed volley fire, and the average soldier could be easily trained to use them. The (muzzle-loaded) rifle was originally a sharpshooter's weapon used for targets of opportunity and deliberately aimed fire, first gaining notoriety in warfare during the Seven Years War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Years_War) and American War for Independence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_War_for_Independence) through their use by American frontiersmen. Later during the Napoleonic Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleonic_Wars), the British 95th Regiment (Green Jackets) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/95th_Regiment_of_Foot) and 60th Regiment, (Royal American) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/60th_Regiment_of_Foot), as well as American sharpshooters and riflemen during the War of 1812 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812), used the rifle to great effect during skirmishing. Because of a slower loading time than a musket, they were not adopted by the whole army. Since rifles were used by sharpshooters who didn't routinely fire over other men’s shoulders, long length was not required to avoid the forward line. A shorter length made a handier weapon in which tight-fitting balls did not have to be rammed so far down the barrel."

I did say some had rifles... most were muskets and some rifled muskets... rifled barrels... rifles... whatever they had or could afford.

aray
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks for sharing. Is there anyway of following her story without having a Twitter account?

No, you just have to go back to the site and follow the links. As you can see she links the end of each old story to the start of the next one. Still more articles to be published...

Mr_D
01-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Just saying....
So that means the First Amendment only covers papers/books printed with hand operated presses?

tv_racin_fan
01-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Just saying....

And where does it mention in the second amendment that the citizens will be restricted to those weapons?

wyntrout
01-20-2012, 04:04 PM
I think we're entitled to have the latest state-of-the-art weapons, as the colonists had... those who could afford RIFLES... better than the military's muskets, but taking longer to load and actually aim... instead of volley fire at neat lines of the enemy. The muskets took less time to reload and was an example of quantity chosen over quality resulting in a higher volume of fire with a loss in accuracy... much as the "spray and pray" with high capacity pistols like Glocks. :D

:behindsofa::banplease:

Wynn:):popcorn:

aray
02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
There have been several postings in the “Emily Gets Her Gun” series of articles in the Washington Times. As you may know if you’ve been following that, today she finally got her gun. (But it’s not over yet – see way down below.)

It took her 4 months and 3 days since she started the process, not to mention countless hours at the DC police department and at other locations. It also cost her $465 in total fees, not counting the actual cost of the gun itself.

Emily says there are 17 formal steps in the process, but when you break it down there’s actually a bit more than that, as she combines some related activities. I thought it might be interesting to try and summarize what she went through all in one long sequence, rather than the months-long separate blog postings she put up. It looks much more impressive that way IMHO when it’s all combined.

When you lay it out, it’s byzantine, if not crazy. Actually it’s not really crazy: it is intentionally designed to be as hard as possible specifically to frustrate potential gun owners. Also note that she has to ping pong back & forth between the gun registry office and other locations, only to have to come right back again. As Emily points out, in many cases that sequence is specific and enforced, but not written down. (“It’s the process” she was told by LEO.)

Anyway, here is my summary of what she went through. I hope I didn’t miss a step or summarize it incorrectly, but it is so convoluted that wouldn’t be hard to miss something.

Because the process is so lengthy (intentionally so on DC's part) even summarizing it in bullet form take space. I couldn't even post it in one posting without running up against the kahrtalk limits. So I'll have to break it up into sequential postings.

With that as a preface, here is what you have to go through to get a gun in our nation's capital:

· Go to the DC gun registry office in police headquarters to get the paperwork (20+ pages).
· Go and get two passport photos made.
· Get your eyesight tested (a driver’s license is sufficient if you have one – but many life-long DC residents who use the metro or bus system don’t).
· Provide proof of residency (again a driver’s license will work here too if you have one).
· Check the DC approved gun list to make sure what you want to buy is on the list. Note: the list she was given was different than the list on their web site – updated since her series of articles has run.
· Make sure the gun you want comes only with a 10 round capacity magazine.
· Make an appointment with DC’s only FFL. (Emily was fortunate to catch him in his office & he saw her without an appointment, but normally that would be a separate step.)
· Go see the FFL (during his part time hours) to notify him & work out the particulars in working with him.
· Fill out the eligibility form.
· Get somewhere to get it notarized.
· Search through the list of certified instructors eligible to teach the mandatory safety class. The list provided to Emily was a random list of 47 names & phone numbers, no affiliations, no web sites, etc. It contained people who no longer taught classes, one who only teaches if you happen to be in Georgia or Colorado, people who only teach in the basement of their own home, phone numbers that no longer worked (7 out of the 47), etc. Call them one at a time, figure out who really can do this, compare prices & locations (none are in DC), pick one, and arrange for the training. As Emily points out, for a single women who needs a gun to feel safe, requiring that she drive to another state, unarmed, to meet with a strange man who is armed, in his basement at home, is asking a lot. In her case she was able to find a woman (who was not even on the list!) who taught out of a real storefront in MD.
· Drive outside of DC to MD or VA. Training is required to own a gun in DC, but at the same time is forbidden within the boundaries of DC. (That applies to both types of training, below.)
· Take four hours of classroom training. If the classroom is not located at a range (in her case it was not) drive to the range and take one hour of range training.
· Have the instructor fill out the safety class form.

aray
02-08-2012, 05:11 PM
· Select your gun. In Emily’s case, since she had never owned a gun before, that meant travelling to VA or MD to a range, in order to try different models.
· Purchase the gun out of DC and arrange to have it transferred to the DC FFL. The one and only FFL in DC only transfers guns, he does not buy or sell them. In Emily’s case this turned out to be difficult since DC will not allow and the FFL cannot accept guns with > 10 round capacity magazines and many vendors would either not ship to the DC FFL or would not even swap out the standard magazines to a smaller capacity one.
· Get other “paperwork filled out and signed” (Emily did not elaborate on the nature of that.)
· Once the gun has come in make an appointment with the FFL
· Go to the FFL on the appointed date and have him fill out certain portions of the application form.
· Have the form notarized (the FFL did this for her).
· Go back down to DC police headquarters and turn in your registration application.
· Make an appointment with the FFL to have your form 219 filled out by him.
· Go to the FFL for that form. (In Emily’s case she was lucky again in that he was in the office as part of his part-time business and she was able to eliminate the appointment step.) Other forms are required as well (presumably normal gun sales stuff we’ve all done).
· Have the FBI background check done.
· Return to DC police HQS
· Take a written test on DC gun laws (includes questions on antique guns, etc.)
· Sign more forms to include the “background investigation release form” and the “notification of fingerprinting services fee” form.
· Leave police HQS and go to the DMV to pay certain fees (includes waiting in the DMV lines…).
· Go back to police HQS gun registry office to give them the receipt.
· Get your fingerprints made
· Give them your other forms (e.g. the certificate that you completed the two types of training.)
· Wait 5 days for the application to be approved. (If approved, your registration certificate is only good for 3 years, in which case you have to apply all over again. Fingerprints are good for 6 years before they must be redone.)
· Wait 10 days for a “cooling off” period (in Emily’s case the 5 days above overlapped with 5 of the 10 here).
· Call back to police HQS and see if your application was approved or not.
· Call and make an appointment with the FFL
· On that appointment date/time, go to the police HQS gun registry office.
· Give them your two passport photos. (That could have been done on an earlier step but Emily left them behind. But it’s a step that still has to be done.)
· Sign the form acknowledging that your gun registration only lasts 3 years.
· Pick up your paperwork which includes your registration form which they will notarize allowing you to own your gun.
· An officer is dispatched to the FFL in advance of you.
· You leave the police gun registry office and go to the FFL.
· FFL sees you have your gun registration form (making it legal for you to possess your gun) and then he fills out more paperwork.
· Leave the FFL, and go back to the police gun registry office with your gun and with the police escort.
· The police photograph your gun.
· The police fire and “fingerprint” your gun ballistics.
· Put your gun in a locked box.
· LEO takes your gun from you, wraps it in a bag, and departs from the gun registry office.
· You follow the police escort to the front door of police HQS and leave.
· Go straight home – you now have your gun for home self defense (for 3 years when the process repeats again). You may not carry in DC (concealed or open).

Unresolved (more articles will follow):

· How do you get ammunition for your gun? In DC it is illegal to possess ammunition for caliber that is NOT for a gun you legally own.
· Ammunition must be purchased from an FFL. However the one and only FFL in DC does not sell ammunition.
· How do you do target practice with your gun? The district has banned gun ranges inside the city.
· How do you transport your gun outside of DC (e.g. to go to a gun range in VA or MD)?

aray
02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
And here's a full listing of her blogs (to date) if you want all of the details:

Emily gets her gun, October 5th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/5/miller-emily-gets-her-gun/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/5/miller-emily-gets-her-gun/)

Inside D.C.'s gun registry, October 6th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/6/miller-inside-dcs-gun-registry/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/6/miller-inside-dcs-gun-registry/)

D.C.’s only gun source, October 11th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/11/miller-dcs-only-gun-source/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/11/miller-dcs-only-gun-source/)

Steps to gun ownership in D.C., October 14th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/14/miller-steps-gun-ownership-dc/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/14/miller-steps-gun-ownership-dc/)

Who’s eligible for a gun in D.C.?, October 17th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/17/miller-whos-eligible-gun-dc/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/17/miller-whos-eligible-gun-dc/)

Learning to shoot a gun, October 31st: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/31/miller-learning-shoot-gun/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/31/miller-learning-shoot-gun/)

Washington’s unsafe, gun safety class, November 7th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/nov/7/miller-washingtons-unsafe-gun-safety-class/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/nov/7/miller-washingtons-unsafe-gun-safety-class/)

Taking the D.C. gun safety class, November 14th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/nov/14/miller-taking-dc-gun-safety-class/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/nov/14/miller-taking-dc-gun-safety-class/)

Interstate Travel for a D.C. Gun, November 17th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/nov/17/miller-interstate-travel-dc-gun/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/nov/17/miller-interstate-travel-dc-gun/)

Choosing a gun, December 9th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/dec/9/miller-choosing-gun/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/dec/9/miller-choosing-gun/)

Which gun should Emily buy?, December 12th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/dec/12/miller-which-gun-should-emily-buy/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/dec/12/miller-which-gun-should-emily-buy/)

Making guns near D.C., January 6th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/6/miller-making-guns-near-dc/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/6/miller-making-guns-near-dc/)

Getting a gun in Virginia, January 11th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/11/miller-getting-gun-virginia/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/11/miller-getting-gun-virginia/)

Why I still haven’t bought a gun in D.C., January 17th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/17/miller-why-i-still-havent-bought-gun-dc/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/17/miller-why-i-still-havent-bought-gun-dc/)

I bought a gun, but..., January 23rd: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/23/miller-i-bought-gun-dc/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/23/miller-i-bought-gun-dc/)

Transferring a gun into D.C., January 24th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/24/miller-transferring-gun-dc/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/24/miller-transferring-gun-dc/)

I will testify before D.C. city council about guns, January 26th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/26/miller-i-will-testify-dc-city-council-about-guns/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/26/miller-i-will-testify-dc-city-council-about-guns/)

Applying to register a gun in D.C., January 27th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/27/miller-applying-register-gun-dc/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/27/miller-applying-register-gun-dc/)

My testimony at D.C. city council, January 31st: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/31/miller-my-testimony-dc-city-council-video/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/31/miller-my-testimony-dc-city-council-video/)

Running D.C.’s gun-owner gauntlet, January 31st: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/31/running-dcs-gun-owner-gauntlet/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/31/running-dcs-gun-owner-gauntlet/)

My gun registration is approved, February 3rd: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/feb/3/miller-my-gun-registration-approved/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/feb/3/miller-my-gun-registration-approved/)

Emily got her gun!, February 8th: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/feb/8/miller-emily-got-her-gun/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/feb/8/miller-emily-got-her-gun/)

kahrseye
02-08-2012, 05:24 PM
And the criminals do this:

1. Find someone who has an unregistered gun and agree on a price.

2. Pay him and go do whatever you want with the gun. I'm sure you can get ammo in multiple locations outside DC.

aray
02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Agreed, only I'm sure you can get ammo on the DC streets too.

HDoc
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
And the criminals do this:

1. Find someone who has an unregistered gun and agree on a price.

2. Pay him and go do whatever you want with the gun. I'm sure you can get ammo in multiple locations outside DC.

or: break into home in MD or VA, steal gun, return to D.C.
Profit.

aray
02-08-2012, 08:41 PM
or: break into home in MD or VA, steal gun, return to D.C.
Profit.

A few years ago the Washington Times ran a graphic which showed where violent crime had occurred in Maryland. It was like looking at blood vessels: Major arteries out of DC were thick with crime, spreading out and diminishing on major feeder roads, and declining to almost nothing (relatively) on suburban roads. The closer you got into the DC city limits, the higher the crime rates.

The Washington Times got castigated in the local media over that article, because of the obvious implications. But they didn't make up the stats - just reported on them.

Tinman507
02-29-2012, 05:04 AM
Latest installment of Emily Gets Her Gun

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/feb/27/miller-buying-ammunition-dc/

bigmacque
02-29-2012, 05:57 AM
A poster asked if there was any way to follow the piece without a Twitter account: at the bottom of each post is a link to the next one.