PDA

View Full Version : recoil springs

dirtkicker
01-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Okay, so my origional recoil spring lost the 'flange nut' after less than 250 rounds so I called customer service and they sent me a new recoil assembly. Thank you very much.

In the meantime I ordered a new recoil assembly as a down the road replacement which was promptly shipped. Thanks again.

However when comparing them one is longer than the other. How can this happen? And...which one is the correct one to install?

I would say 1 1/2 coil difference

dirtkicker
01-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Just to clarify, they arrived on the same day.
2 different sizes.

Bawanna
01-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Sometimes the length can vary quite a bit but if you counted the coils it sounds like you have one for the new style slide and one for the old blunt nose slide. If your slide is tapered on the front the longer one is correct. Both should actually work in the new style.

If you have the blunt nose the shorter spring is right and the longer one probably will not work without cutting off a couple coils.

You can install it and see if you can lock the slide back. If not it's too long and I'd cut half a coil off at a time till it will lock open.

CJB
01-14-2012, 06:27 AM
You saying the assemblies are different, or just the springs?

dirtkicker
01-14-2012, 09:17 AM
You saying the assemblies are different, or just the springs?

Just the springs. One is 13 1/2 and the other I would say has 14 1/2 or 15 coils.

It seems strange that they would be sending out 2 different spring size lengths for the exact same part #.

dirtkicker
01-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Okay I installed the longer one and cannot lock the slide back, no way no how.

Do I send it back to customer service or clip it with my handy dandy sidecutters?

CJB
01-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Clip

dirtkicker
01-14-2012, 09:46 AM
This is a subject I know about being an engineer. Just because the spring is longer does not mean it's stronger or more powerful. Wolff's 24.5 lb spring is the shortest of the 3. Shorter than the 20.5 and 22.5. Length is not always what you should be looking for.

That's what I keep telling her!

The springs appear to be exactly the same except for the length so I am assuming in clipping off the longer one to match the one that works I should have 2 recoil assemblies that will function in my weapon and will have basically the same 'strength' for lack of a better term. :roll:

Hognutz
01-14-2012, 09:58 AM
I just checked the new recoil spring that I installed yesterday, and my slide would not lock open, either. The new spring had 15 coils vs. 14 1/2 on the old one. I snipped 1/2 coil off and it locks back now. I compared it to the old one, so I knew exactly what the deal was..Thanks again, boys..Mike

muggsy
01-14-2012, 10:28 AM
I just checked the new recoil spring that I installed yesterday, and my slide would not lock open, either. The new spring had 15 coils vs. 14 1/2 on the old one. I snipped 1/2 coil off and it locks back now. I compared it to the old one, so I knew exactly what the deal was..Thanks again, boys..Mike

When I first received my RSA I had the same problem, but after firing a few magazines through the gun it functioned normally without altering the spring. The outer spring appears to have taken a set.

dirtkicker
01-14-2012, 10:34 AM
When I first received my RSA I had the same problem, but after firing a few magazines through the gun it functioned normally without altering the spring. The outer spring appears to have taken a set.

Did your slide lock back when your mag was empty?

jocko
01-14-2012, 11:04 AM

have with 50+ actual rounds flying out the end of trhe barrel. complete cycle action does alot better thgan locking open the lisde for 24 hours or hand racking a few hundred times, both will help but neither IMO does what the actuion slide cycling does for it. clipping off a half coil certainly did no harm either. IMO that half coil tells me that with some rounds down range it wouldnot have to had been shortened

dirtkicker
01-14-2012, 01:02 PM
So its possible that even though I cannot manually lock the slide open due to the spring being too long that if I shoot 50-100 rounds it may break in and function. If not, I can clip the spring?

Bawanna
01-14-2012, 01:19 PM
I'd clip a half coil off until it locks back manually. Your using up all the spring and creating a mechanical lock if you don't. There's plenty of spring left and no harm in shortening it.

dirtkicker
01-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I clipped off what amounted to about 3/4 of a coil. Slide locks back and it seems to function well. I'm guessing it will be fine on the range.

Thanks all!

CJB
01-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Since the slide can be racked back slightly further than the "locking lever notch", make sure its ALL the way back please. Its a matter of only a very small amount... 1/16 inch or so, but it matters!

Not trying to be overly cautious, but it might be possible to get just enough off a spring to allow it to lock the slide open, but not enough to allow the slide to go fully backward, which would be sort of hard on things - frame and recoil spring assembly both.

muggsy
01-14-2012, 02:59 PM

It wouldn't lock back when I first installed the RSA, but it started to function normally after running a few mags of ammo through it. It now locks back on an empty mag or after the last round is fired. By shortening your spring by just 3/4 of a coil I don't think that you hurt anything.

dirtkicker
01-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Since the slide can be racked back slightly further than the "locking lever notch", make sure its ALL the way back please. Its a matter of only a very small amount... 1/16 inch or so, but it matters!

Not trying to be overly cautious, but it might be possible to get just enough off a spring to allow it to lock the slide open, but not enough to allow the slide to go fully backward, which would be sort of hard on things - frame and recoil spring assembly both.

With the slide locked back it will move a fraction-just enough so that the slide release down will drop down. I can't even see it move really.

dirtkicker
01-14-2012, 03:07 PM
With the slide locked back it will move a fraction-just enough so that the slide release down will drop down. I can't even see it move really.
or slide catch I suppose

CJB
01-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Just looked at my own PM9.

The slide moves back exactly one "land" on the slide serration. Not the groove, but the land. Its just under two millimeters. Dunno if that helps. Its enough to see. If you have doubts, assemble it with each, put some tape on the slide and frame, and draw some witness marks to compared the movement.

jocko
01-14-2012, 06:00 PM

getting the same slide action by hand racking as with the bang thing happening and the slide now going through its complete cycling sequence. Ur OK cutting a quarter oil or so did not harm and with another 100 rounds down range everything will take its designed set and u are goodto go. As we have foundout, all recoil springs are not the same, even 15 coil ones seem longer and some even stouter, so a quarter coil off it not going to do any harm what so ever. Pay attention though to that now pointed end that u cut off some more, opent hat end up a tad so thatit does not scrape against that outter recoiltube. smooth if even, so as to not be so dman pointed. open end towards the round of the slide ALWAYS..:19:

dirtkicker
01-14-2012, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=jocko;123902]getting the same slide action by hand racking as with the bang thing happening and the slide now going through its complete cycling sequence. Ur OK cutting a quarter oil or so did not harm and with another 100 rounds down range everything will take its designed set and u are goodto go. As we have foundout, all recoil springs are not the same, even 15 coil ones seem longer and some even stouter, so a quarter coil off it not going to do any harm what so ever. Pay attention though to that now pointed end that u cut off some more, opent hat end up a tad so thatit does not scrape against that outter recoiltube. smooth if even, so as to not be so dman pointed. open end towards the round of the slide ALWAYS..:19:[/QUOT

10-4. I think I am GTG. I got a good cut on the spring and it compared favorably if not almost identically to the other new spring assembly I received. I have almost zero slack in the slide after its locked back. I can move it so little I can't even put a measurement on it.

I appreciate everyones help, hints, and advice. Thanks!

dirtkicker
02-13-2012, 04:58 PM
I finally got back to the country to shoot my CM9 with the new clipped recoil assembly. Apr 130 rounds with 1 stovepipe using WWB and federal from wally world. Everything looked and felt good. Paper plate groups from 15 yards. Shot it fast, slow, one handed etc. I think I'm in business. It really is a nice shooter.

Am I to assume with the new recoil assembly I am basically starting my breakin period over? I had around 230 rounds thru prior.

muggsy
02-13-2012, 05:56 PM

After the first few mags the slide locked back just fine.