PDA

View Full Version : New to pistols, new CM

jagger85
01-15-2012, 01:02 PM
I got my new CM9. I am new to the forum, as I am new to pistols. I have done a lot of shotgun shooting and just until recently, maybe two years, have I gotten more and more interested in pistol shooting.
I finally decided to get a small gun. I went through the debate between the LCP, LCR, sig238, and the Bodyguard for a long time. Non of them really "clicked" with me, and then I found the CM9 :). So far I've got 250 rounds in it. When I got it, I cleaned it good and took it to the range. I read the manual and was aware of the "breaking in" factor.
I shot 150 of WWB 115. and it was painful. I had a few FTFs, a few FTE, twice where the slide didn't lock after the last shot, and one round that the pin didn't hit the primer hard enough. I compared it to other fired rounds and also confirmed it with the range master. is this common for the break in?
The WWB was pretty ugly when I got it out of the box. the casings were tarnished and looked like they had sat outside in the elements. and when I shot it, it was really dirty. There were heavy deposits half way down my mag.
The range master suggested I shoot something that runs a little hotter. He tried to tell me remington was hotter, but then I looked around and that was 90% of what he was selling!!! haha. So I looked and checked out manufactures websites and found FIOCCHI. It wasn't much hotter but but the price was still comparable.
I shot 100rounds of it. It went flawless. And it was clean shooting it, and not to mention clean out of the box. the only heavy deposits were at the end of the barrel.
What are your guys' thoughts on my adventure?

O'Dell
01-15-2012, 01:20 PM
First, welcome to KT. If you haven't lurked around here much, you're find we a bit different from most of the 'Brand' gun forums. In KT people usually say what they think, and don't toe the company line.

That said, it sounds like you got some substandard ammunition. I've used WWB quite a bit over the years, and although it's fairly low powered, I've never had the problems you did. FIOCCHI is usually on the hot side, and the fact that it works well in your CM9, indicates the WWB wasn't up to par. Keep shooting and I think your problems will diminish. Check out the "Kahr Prep" and Kahr Lube Guide in the tech section.

KMA
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the CM9. Glad you enjoy it.

Bear549
01-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the forum. You will find out once you run 300 rounds or so, the WWB ammo will run fine. The smaller firearms take a while to get broke in until the are reliable. I had the same issue running Blazzer and was very aggravated. I found that Fedeal ran fine so I just shot it for a period of time and then when I went back to the Blazer, it shot fine as well. Just keep it well lube and it will do fine for you.

yqtszhj
01-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Welcome. Good to hear your last rounds went well. In the event you haven't seen the prep and lube links I posted them below. It gives all the nooks and crannys to clean and lube on your new CM9. FYI, I have about 700 rounds through mine and is runs excellent. Happy shooting.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=308

Bill K
01-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Welcome to KahrTalk!

You mention an interest in "pistol shooting", you don't mention concealed carry, should I assume your CM9 is just meant as a range gun? If it is for range only then IMHO you made a poor choice, but if for concealed carry then you made a very good choice.

JFootin
01-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got a bad box of ammo.

You made about the best choice you could make in a small SD firearm, IMO. A real quality gun that just gets better over time. A senior member here, Jocko, can attest to their longevity, having put over 32,000 rounds through his PM9.

The light strike could be from dirt in the striker channel. When you take down the gun, turn the slide upside down and look for a small hole near the breech. Get a can of non chlorinated brake cleaner, stick the little straw in that hole, pull the striker back with your thumb and blast the gunk out of the striker channel. Do this outside with gloves on. Check out the sticky threads in the Kahr-Tech section for a lot of wise advice about cleaning, prepping and trouble shooting your Kahr.

Tinman507
01-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Welcome to Kahr Talk! Glad you had a good experience. I too have had intermittent issues with WWB. I don't know if it's old stock that makes its way into Walmart or what. Some boxes are fine and others are just dirty. In either event a broken in CM9 will shoot em. Do the stickies and hold on tight. It's a great little gun.

jocko
01-15-2012, 04:08 PM
wwb is good ammo, that being said u got a ****-y box that is for sure. Being the fiochhi did perect we can assume u had crappy wwb ammo. I would not be afraid to shoot it again. That is all I shoot out of my PM9, wwb from wal mart 100 Pak, goes bang every time. to me no dirtier than most ammo. Kahrs can take some dirt also, they are not ammo sensitive. consider it bad ammo. IMO old stock mekans nadda atoday, we are shooting military ammo that is 10 years plus old in our weapons over seas and they go bang..

welocme aboard follow what some of the guys posted here and u will be good to go.

jagger85
01-15-2012, 06:38 PM
I have been searching around through the forum and have found some great stuff! thank you for all the tips. No worries Bill, this is for concealed carry. My first pistols were full-size (FS 92 and XD9).

pocket pistol
01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Welcome to KahrTalk...