PDA

View Full Version : what can i do to my new stock tp45 to make it more custo?

kahrcrazy13
01-18-2012, 05:56 PM
what can i do to my new stock tp45 to make it more custom and perform better and make it worth more money then just adding night sights?

jocko
01-18-2012, 06:24 PM
gold plate it, then melt the gold down and sell the gold and keep the gun, nothing u cando is going to make it worth more money. They are what they are, certainly not collectors items. U can put alot of money into it for ur personal touchs but don't expect 10 cents on the dollar back for any investment over the msrp price of the gun. I have well over 1500 in my PM 9 for custom work THAT I WANTED DONE. never in my little mind did I spend this "needless" money with any expectation of ever recouping one dime back from the custom work I had done on it. actually to some if they looked at my PM9 they probaby would offer me far less than what it should have sold for in original condition "used".

Do what you want to do to the gun to make it YUR WAY, but IMO don't expect anything in return, other than satisfaction. If u keep the gun then no money IMO is wasted, The waste is when you try to sell it and find out that really no one gives a rats ass that you paid $150 for an action job, or $150 for porting.

CJB
01-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Forgetting the "worth more" part...

Sure, night sights are nice if you like them.
Maybe the lighter Wolff striker spring?
Get an extra magazine or two.
Find and deburr any sharp edges (after breaking in)
"Melt" the sharp edges of the ejection port
Round the trigger edges if need be, refinish or polish out (or bead blast etc)
Alter the factory grip tread - I've seen some that had the edge pattern smoothed a little
Deburr any plastic edges on the frame, parting lines, sprue marks, etc
Melt the magazine bases
Refinish the slide color to (insert color here) using Gun-Kote or whatever
Drill the slide's rear cover for easy takedown of the slide parts
Follow all care and feeding advice found on the forum - slide breech face bevel especially
Melt the slide stop edges

That should keep you busy for a week or so....

VN Vet
11-24-2013, 01:01 PM
I installed the Tuff 1 rubber grip with the Thin Blue Line on my TP45. It is a great useful add-on IMO. They come in various designs and can be used on many more items than pistol grips. Check'em out. http://www.tuff1.com/ They come highly recommended by me.

chrish
11-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Something like Robar or CCR refinishing is also and option. More durable, self lubricating, etc. It might make it worth more to someone who would wanted to do that to it anyway, but in general it won't really do much for it pricing it for resale to the average gun owner.

downtownv
11-24-2013, 02:49 PM
These decisions are like harley enhancements; the next buyer gets the goodies on your Dime!
Stipple and engrave?

jocko
11-24-2013, 04:05 PM
u certainly are right with that. The money I spent with Dave Bowie to get my M & P super tuned, stippled and utter sh!t was alot, embarrassing alot. I never got a fokking dime for all that work either whenI peddled it. It wa snot like I had them stacked up at my door wanting to buy the M &P either. Just sayin.

I have doulbe the price of a PMJ9 in my Jocko's custom PMJ9, but it is a keeper so it an't goin anywhere but I would loose every dime I put in it along witht he ugly looks of it also. So like most here say, if u wanna do it, then do it but just don't think ur ever gonna ecoup on it, but if it is a keeper then who really cares.. Just sayin

downtownv
11-24-2013, 05:26 PM
u certainly are right with that. The money I spent with Dave Bowie to get my M & P super tuned, stippled and utter sh!t was alot, embarrassing alot. I never got a fokking dime for all that work either whenI peddled it. It wa snot like I had them stacked up at my door wanting to buy the M &P either. Just sayin.

I have doulbe the price of a PMJ9 in my Jocko's custom PMJ9, but it is a keeper so it an't goin anywhere but I would loose every dime I put in it along witht he ugly looks of it also. So like most here say, if u wanna do it, then do it but just don't think ur ever gonna ecoup on it, but if it is a keeper then who really cares.. Just sayin

I have put $15 k into one of my harleys on top of the original cost. sold it for $20k about a $1000 less that what the bike alone cost me! But i like what I did, KNOWing, I would never recoup that investment......
Dammit Jocko i almost correct YOUR spelling, by mistake....

jocko
11-24-2013, 05:41 PM
been around Harley dealers for years, it is odd that when one puts in 5K or more in accessories on his bike, the dealer just goes to book value and fokk u on the accessory **** but when a prospective buyer comes in that dealers is showing the buyer all these expensive accessories on this bike to try to offset their high used price on the bike.

but ur right downtown, it is whatu want to do. I have alot in my Screamin eagle street glide ver and above how it came out of the box to, but I really don't care either. I get so much satisfaction from my bike the way I want it. U know that ol saying from ol time bikers. "chrome don't get u home, but IMO it sure looks nice.

ripley16
11-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Add a reflex sight.

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/PisolMountaccompSM19030361000x1000web3.jpg

hardluk1
11-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Want make it a better performer ?? Change the striker spring to a wolff rp striker spring. Why try add to it to make worth more. Better for a need, maybe . Worth more , never. Its designed for personal protection not a show piece . Want something easy add junk to or change the look buy a 1911.

getsome
11-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Not sure what you can do to make it worth more but I can sure tell you how and what to do to get less than you paid for it....

1. Trade in a gun to a dealer, take what you paid for it new then subtract 25-30% for a like new gun traded for something else...Did that with a brand new j frame with a lock I bought then later the same day I found the same gun without the lock at another shop so I traded a brand new in box, never fired 642 for the same exact gun minus the trigger lock and lost $150.00 in the process...

2. Spend $150.00 for a Mag-na-port job then trade your gun...Take $150.00 and set fire to it then take 25-30% off the price you paid for your stock gun traded for something else...

3. Spend $100.00 for an action job then another $150.00 for a reblue job on a reproduction Colt SA .45 Revolver then try and trade for something more useful...Just shoot yourself with it so you won't feel so bad about what a dealer is willing to give you for it....

4. Try and sell to a gun shop a like new 6'' barrel S&W 686 .357 Magnum Revolver at Christmas time because you NEED the money for your wife's gift....Save the trouble and just give her the gun and let her shoot you, it's by far cheaper and less painful than taking $200.00 for a revolver that cost you $650.00 a few months ago....

Ain't no money to be made selling or trading guns....If you want to do some custom work be sure it's because YOU want it and not because you think it makes the gun more valuable....Done this way too many times to know the score....Best money spent on a gun is for ammo and shoot it till your good with it, thats real value...

ReManG
11-25-2013, 04:28 PM
^ Is your screen name what the LGS guys gave you? Ouch, those hurt, but your education is still cheaper than what a "university" could give you. I agree though, the customization should be for what YOU want in the gun. I am wholeheartedly behind a case of ammunition and some gift cards for your local range being the best customization. Or OP you could get a soldering iron from wally world and go to town while watching YouTube stippling videos.....As long as that is what you want....

muggsy
11-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Don't do a damn thing to your gun. Keep it in it's original NIB condition. Keep the box and all paperwork associated with it in pristine condition. A 1911 that was only worth twenty five dollars fifty years ago can bring you $800 - 1000 or more today.

jocko
11-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Not sure what you can do to make it worth more but I can sure tell you how and what to do to get less than you paid for it....

1. Trade in a gun to a dealer, take what you paid for it new then subtract 25-30% for a like new gun traded for something else...Did that with a brand new j frame with a lock I bought then later the same day I found the same gun without the lock at another shop so I traded a brand new in box, never fired 642 for the same exact gun minus the trigger lock and lost $150.00 in the process...

2. Spend $150.00 for a Mag-na-port job then trade your gun...Take $150.00 and set fire to it then take 25-30% off the price you paid for your stock gun traded for something else...

3. Spend $100.00 for an action job then another $150.00 for a reblue job on a reproduction Colt SA .45 Revolver then try and trade for something more useful...Just shoot yourself with it so you won't feel so bad about what a dealer is willing to give you for it....

4. Try and sell to a gun shop a like new 6'' barrel S&W 686 .357 Magnum Revolver at Christmas time because you NEED the money for your wife's gift....Save the trouble and just give her the gun and let her shoot you, it's by far cheaper and less painful than taking $200.00 for a revolver that cost you $650.00 a few months ago....

Ain't no money to be made selling or trading guns....If you want to do some custom work be sure it's because YOU want it and not because you think it makes the gun more valuable....Done this way too many times to know the score....Best money spent on a gun is for ammo and shoot it till your good with it, thats real value...

first it Bawanna who says sumpin that I havet o agree with,(barf barf) then alaongf comes loser Muggsy who makes a nice statement and again I have to agree with him (triple barf)and now Getsome says it perfectly. WTF can I say???:Amflag2:

This is ridiculous . Just sayin:bump2:

muggsy
11-26-2013, 09:20 PM
That was the nicest compliment that you ever almost paid me, Jocko. I take back half of the rotten things that I've ever said about you, you old snake. :)