PDA

View Full Version : How Many PM Rounds Stashed in the House?

TxKahr
01-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I want to see how many rounds people are keeping in their house for Kahr PMs to see if I am hoarding or if I should go out and buy some more. :D

I have 600 rounds of 9mm Monarch 115g FMJs for range shooting and 60 rounds of Federal Premium Hydra Shok 147g JHPs for SD. When loading a magazine for SD, I alternate every other bullet between FMJ and JHP.

Under full disclosure, I also have a Glock 26 which nicely handles the same ammunition.

TxKahr

ltxi
01-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Not specifically for the PM9, but maybe 4500 rounds of 9mm at the moment. Had quite a bit more, but stopped buying during the "insanity". Now that prices have dropped, I'll probably restock.

hsart
01-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I have about 4000 rounds in my bedroom closet, various manufacturers (Win, Rem, Federal mostly) - temp and humidity controlled. I stocked up quite a bit when the government questioned whether rule of law would hold up during the moment when the world's banking system was in jeopardy. Scary moment waiting for the Asian market to open on that Monday with Paulson and Bernanke pitching the bailout to Congress. Will try to keep no less than 1500 rounds around as I go through what I have.

TxKahr
01-27-2010, 07:44 PM
I guess I am a little light in the bullet department. :) I will have to start looking for more sales. Academy had 50 rds of their Monarch 115g FMJ Brass for $7.99 two weeks ago, but they would only let me buy 5 boxes at a time. (I bought a total of 15 boxes) I should have driven to the other stores in my area to stock up even futher.

TxKahr

Vinikahr
01-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Only keep 1,000 rounds of 9mm at a time, and 500 rounds of 45 ACP, and 500 of .223 rem. Not much hoarding as ammo prices are too high for my taste (budget).:D:eek::behindsofa:

polkhigh
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Currently have 4300 rounds of 9mm in my safe for the range and about 300 rounds of SD rounds (Winchester JHP, Hornady, Golden Sabers)

You can never have too much..;)

ltxi
01-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Only keep 1,000 rounds of 9mm at a time, and 500 rounds of 45 ACP, and 500 of .223 rem. Not much hoarding as ammo prices are too high for my taste (budget).:D:eek::behindsofa:

No hoarding involved. I consider a large rotating stock of ammunition I use and depend on simply a hedge against availability and price increases/fluctuations (witness this past year when I didn't have to buy at inflated prices). I also view it as long term insurance.

varoadking
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
How Many Rounds Stashed in the House?

A veritable pantload...

Raoul
01-28-2010, 07:17 PM
I want to see how many rounds people are keeping in their house for Kahr PMs to see if I am hoarding or if I should go out and buy some more. :D

I have 600 rounds of 9mm Monarch 115g FMJs for range shooting and 60 rounds of Federal Premium Hydra Shok 147g JHPs for SD. When loading a magazine for SD, I alternate every other bullet between FMJ and JHP.

Under full disclosure, I also have a Glock 26 which nicely handles the same ammunition.

TxKahr

Uh, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that you're not hoarding. :rolleyes:

ltxi
01-28-2010, 07:45 PM
........... When loading a magazine for SD, I alternate every other bullet between FMJ and JHP. .....................
TxKahr

just reread this.....why would you do that??

varoadking
01-28-2010, 08:25 PM

This is what he said:

I am a little light in the bullet department.

ltxi
01-29-2010, 08:17 PM
In a different post and quoted out of context....I still don't understand the rationale behind alternating off-brand fmj range ammunition with quality and different weight hollowpoints in the same magazine for self defense. That's a potential recipe for disaster.

Dietrich
01-30-2010, 04:23 AM
I`ve got around 6000 rounds of 9mm target ammunition due mostly to my reloading activities.I own three 9mm handguns and I shoot them more than the other caliber pistols that I have.As far as self defense ammo goes,I try to keep about 500 rounds on hand for each caliber I own.Looking at my ammunition chest,I`d say there`s about 10,000 rounds total in there.

medezyner
01-30-2010, 06:17 AM
As far as self defense ammo goes,I try to keep about 500 rounds on hand for each caliber I own.Looking at my ammunition chest,I`d say there`s about 10,000 rounds total in there.

Ya, I've got about the same: keep roughly 400-500 rounds of SD for each pistol that’s hands-off, it doesn’t get touched. That includes the hunting ammo. I should probably keep a few hundred handgun/rifle rounds in a bug-out bag when the SHTF. A grab & run, no time to screw with the safe scenario.
A couple thousand rounds is definitely not hoarding. If you hit the range once or twice a month and drop 100-200 rounds you’re going to eat your stock pretty quick. Although at current prices, I'm not going to the range as much as I did and should.:(

zena
01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm just getting into my loading season...winter. Probably only have 1500 rounds of 9mm, which is what the Kahr eats. Currently trying new recipes for the short barreled rifle, which also eats 9mm. The 40 shelf is looking good, 223 is okay, 7.62x39 is great, 308 is rather dismal. I have my work cut out for me!!

Bawanna
01-30-2010, 07:27 PM
In a different post and quoted out of context....I still don't understand the rationale behind alternating off-brand fmj range ammunition with quality and different weight hollowpoints in the same magazine for self defense. That's a potential recipe for disaster.

I think this practice would be from the group with little faith in the stopping power or the 9mm. Not sure I should admit that I'm a long time member of this group. That being said if you like 9's and have confidence in them then I think they are really really good and the weapon of choice for YOU.:cool: Many folks who carry 380's, 25's and such carry all FMJ hoping for at least penetration. Apparently alternating one would at least have the FMJ every other shot if the hollow points get plugged with heavy clothing or just fail to do their job due to lack of horsepower. I work with several who believe that it's all about shot placement and size doesn't matter. I'm planning for the worst, gallons of adrenaline, everything bad, I'm still going for placement best I can but I'm sticking with big, heavy and not so fast. Course I could be wrong. I was wrong once, I think it was back in 68, or maybe 69.
I don't see a potential recipe for disaster unless the gun is sensitive to feeding due to the different bullet weights, velocity etc. Some are, some aren't. :hippie:

jeepster09
01-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Not specifically for the PM9, but maybe 4500 rounds of 9mm at the moment. Had quite a bit more, but stopped buying during the "insanity". Now that prices have dropped, I'll probably restock.

Holy crap....sounds like your running low :eek: better get out and stock up before the invasion:80:

jeepster09
01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
I have about 4000 rounds in my bedroom closet, various manufacturers (Win, Rem, Federal mostly) - temp and humidity controlled. I stocked up quite a bit when the government questioned whether rule of law would hold up during the moment when the world's banking system was in jeopardy. Scary moment waiting for the Asian market to open on that Monday with Paulson and Bernanke pitching the bailout to Congress. Will try to keep no less than 1500 rounds around as I go through what I have.

:75:

I heard the BLACK HELICOPTERS are coming to your neighborhood too.

TxKahr
02-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Care to elaborate on the potential recipe for disaster?

Apparently alternating one would at least have the FMJ every other shot if the hollow points get plugged with heavy clothing or just fail to do their job due to lack of horsepower.

This is the reason I alternate between FMJ and JHP.

TxKahr

mx5fan
02-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Now I know why I've not been able to find any 9mm in Colorado:boink:

Just kidding, I wish I had 4500 rounds of 9mm.

jeep45238
02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
It may not be a PM, but I keep at least a case of .223 and 7.62x54R (I like shooting my rifles - a LOT). I have 6,000 .22LR's on hand, which I shoot about 500-1,000 of per week out of handguns and rifles.

I try to keep as much .45acp on hand as possible, which means I need to cast more lead. .22LR and .45ACP are my primary handgun rounds - I went through 350 .45ACP's today. Only way I can afford to shoot that is buy reloading, and casting my own bullets from wheel weights. 50 rounds costs me $3.25, about the same as a box of .22LR.

I shoot a LOT compared to most people though - round count was almost 16,000 last year.

Guess the answer is "I don't have enough rounds in the house."

Valkyrie
02-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Care to elaborate on the potential recipe for disaster?

This is the reason I alternate between FMJ and JHP.

TxKahr

The concept of alternating rounds is called "Dutch loading" and rarely makes sense. In this case, the idea of having a hollow point get plugged with clothing effectively turns it into hardball, causing greater penetration than a fuilly expanded hollow point. Adding FMJ to the mix only insures overpenetration, making a through-and-though with a 9mm probable.

This may not be a big deal in the woods somewhere, but on the street or in your house it becomes an issue when a child is killed in another room in the house or little Susie playing in the street takes a wayward round.

The thing that makes the most sense is to do some research on-line and buy only dependable rounds that will still expand after traveling through up to four layers of denim.

jocko
02-06-2010, 12:23 PM

l:33:ike someone who does not know if the glass if half full our half empty

TxKahr
02-08-2010, 07:03 PM
The concept of alternating rounds is called "Dutch loading" and rarely makes sense. In this case, the idea of having a hollow point get plugged with clothing effectively turns it into hardball, causing greater penetration than a fuilly expanded hollow point. Adding FMJ to the mix only insures overpenetration, making a through-and-though with a 9mm probable.

This may not be a big deal in the woods somewhere, but on the street or in your house it becomes an issue when a child is killed in another room in the house or little Susie palying in the street takes a wayward round.

The thing that makes the most sense is to do some research on-line and buy only dependable rounds that will still expand after traveling through up to four layers of denim.

Thank you for the clear and concise description of the issue. Do you have any particular JHP that fits the bill of expanding after penetrating four layers of denim?

Also, will a standard pressure 115G FMJ pass through a body?

On the original question, I am now up to 1250 FMJs and 200 JHPs in my stash.

TxKahr

medezyner
02-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Being involved in a SD shooting is bad enough, never mind one where the round exited and was heading for parts unknown. I'll take my chances that a 124 gr +P JHP doesnt get too clogged to do it's job. Damn, even if it does get clogged, that baby's gonna leave a mark for sure! Thinking about it makes me want to work on the ole Mozambique Drill a bit more.

LLDJR
02-08-2010, 08:10 PM
@ 5000 rounds of 9mm, .40, 45 and some .22lr

Valkyrie
02-08-2010, 10:08 PM
TxKahr,

There are many top notch 9mm rounds that will penetrate four layers of denim and expand reliably. Your best bet is to Google "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo". This will take you to a website with some of the most definitive studies of SD ammo with results (and pics) composed by Dr. Gary Roberts, one of the most respected ballisticians today.

RE: 9mm hardball penetration. There have been many cases of through-and-through penetrations of humans with this round. I have no idea why anyone would use FMJ for defense, unless they had nothning else. Its ineffectiveness as a fight stopper is legendary and one of the main complaints of the military since we went from the 1911 to the M9.

For our personal use, my wife and I carry Federal HST 124 gr ammo in either our Bowie Tactical G19's or our Bowie PM9's.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe and check 360.