PDA

View Full Version : MK9 Elite Recoil spring question

ORSalesRep
01-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi all,

Was just wondering how often you all change your recoil spring on an MK9. Also, when I first got my MK9, I replaced the plastic black guide rod with a stainless one, so I had to use loctite on the threads. When I replace the spring, will I have to replace the entire guide rod, or will the loctite be able to be broken open. I think I used Red.

jocko
01-22-2012, 03:05 PM
locktitie can be broken loose. red is tuff though but u will figure it out. U have a good recoil assembly so IMO 2K rounds should be quick enough, normally a gun will also tell u when it is needed when things start to happen that earlier on wasnot happening. First thig to go tois recoilsprings. N ice gun, probably the nicest all steel sub kahr out there.

ORSalesRep
01-23-2012, 05:35 AM
I use the wolff open setup but in one of my mk9's I keep stock and just got a new guide/spring. They definitely changed that spring to a sstronger spring and it is wolff. The older sprinngs were treated to be black. Now they are bronnze and not coated. The spring now wraps over the guide. I guess once it's broken in it shortens. I have another new one too and it's the same way. Feel free to ask any questions. Carrying an MK9 since 2005.
So the Wolff open sprint goes on the stainless guide rod without having to break the loctite or does it replace the rob and the spring? I am confused. Can you point me to the link of the open spring setup please?

eltee
02-02-2012, 07:59 PM
I ordered a whole new recoil assembly from Kahr after about 1100 rounds. I kept the old one as a backup, since I wasn't having any problems with it.

FLBri
02-03-2012, 06:03 AM
So the Wolff open sprint goes on the stainless guide rod without having to break the loctite or does it replace the rob and the spring? I am confused. Can you point me to the link of the open spring setup please?

The Wolff set up is open spring ... you get a new guide rod and spring to replace the captive one you now have. Look for them here http://www.gunsprings.com/

ORSalesRep
02-03-2012, 05:02 PM
The Wolff set up is open spring ... you get a new guide rod and spring to replace the captive one you now have. Look for them here http://www.gunsprings.com/

I switched to the captive setup was to put a stainless steel guide rod in the MK9 Elite. I can't seem to find an open spring setup with a stainless rod. Am I missing it?

jocko
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
if u use the wolffs recoil springs then u must also use the wolffs guide rod set up. works great, alot cheaper to do and they offer two spring weights. Kahrs swet up works fine and unless ur a shootin fool a couple thousand rounds of out a set of springs should suffice, ncie thing with the wolffs set up is u just need to buy the springs once u get the guide rods from them...

kahrs are just as good as wolffs makes their springs but u just hav eto buy the entire set up which is more costly.

Barth
02-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Kahr recommends about 1200 rounds for an SD gun.
For range/target who cares?
Run it till it starts to give you trouble and replace.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good morning. Thank you for the question. We recommend changing the recoil
spring every 1200-1500 rounds or every couple of years (whichever comes
first) if this is a carry gun. If it is a range gun only, then you may
change the recoil spring whenever failures begin to occur. I hope this
information helps.
sincerely,
Jay
Kahr Customer Service

pitandkahr
05-18-2012, 07:47 PM
if u use the wolffs recoil springs then u must also use the wolffs guide rod set up. works great, alot cheaper to do and they offer two spring weights. Kahrs swet up works fine and unless ur a shootin fool a couple thousand rounds of out a set of springs should suffice, ncie thing with the wolffs set up is u just need to buy the springs once u get the guide rods from them...

kahrs are just as good as wolffs makes their springs but u just hav eto buy the entire set up which is more costly.

What is your advice on the poundage if you get a Wolf Set? So there is no difference, but it seems like the Wolf is more than Kahr's. I usually like keeping parts on hand and springs and rods are the main ones because I'll have 1200 rounds on this girl very quickly...LOL

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac353/alohareptiles/Misc/WolfSet.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac353/alohareptiles/Misc/KahrSet.jpg

44 Deerslayer
05-19-2012, 07:03 AM
I have the Wolff guide rod and springs in my MK40. If you use factory ammo, use the standard spring which is the same as the Kahr spring. The lighter than standard and the heavier than standard are useful for handloaders that load weaker or more powerful loads.

For most people, using the spring weight that the gun was designed for is the best idea.

pitandkahr
05-19-2012, 08:08 AM
What Wolf Spring is comparable to the Kahr standard spring poundage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 Deerslayer
05-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Wolff lists the reduced power spring for light loads at 18.5 pounds.

The standard spring, same as stock Kahr MK9 and MK40 is 20.5 pounds.

The extra power spring for heavy loads is 22.5 pounds.

Best for all around factory ammo is to stay with the 20.5 pound spring, just the way Kahr designed it.

jocko
05-19-2012, 06:02 PM
wolffs makes kahrs recoil springs. so what ever u ut in it, wolffs has tested it out. The MK9 beng an all steel version, therefore heavier, IMO I would see no real advantage in going abouve or below the factory poundageof 20.5. Just sayin.
Nowif by chance ur a female and just cannot hand rack that MK9, then I would recommend the 18# springs to try.