PDA

View Full Version : KAHR ARMS P380 Article By Massad Ayoob

Vinikahr
01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
The article indicated that is the PM380 and that got my attention, but it is the cool P380 nonetheless!:eek:

Good Read!:59:

Kahr Arms | Product Reviews (http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/review_ot020310.html)

recoilguy
01-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Good article surely. My wife is looking hard for a CCW and thinks she should not spend so much money and has kind of settled on a Bersa. It " feels pretty good" to her. I told her if she is going to carry a weapon she should have a very good one as it will probably be her only one. I know she likes the Kahr P380. I realize the bersa is a good weapon and a pretty good value. I know her with a Bersa is much better then her unarmed.

I am going to have her read this article, she has read the last couple .380 comparison pieces in Handgunner and Rifleman, but both have neglected any mention of the Bersa. I refuse to get her a KT....personal reason, I have had a very bad experiance with one and thats all I will tolerate. I will buy her the gun she wants and that she will carry, I just don't want her to pick her weapon soley because it saved us a hundred bucks and is her second choice.

I may buy it for me and then let her "inheriate it" I wonder if that would work?

RCG

jwr
01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I liked the article and would like to try one. There's a thread on GlockTalk with a guy who owns the PM9, Sig P238, and P380 and he does a nice comparison.

He has photos comparing the PM9 and P380, the P238 and P380, and the P238 and PM9. He also has a great pic showing the P238, LCP, and P380 side-by-side in pocket holsters.

In his words the PM9 is quite a bit larger than the P238 and the P238 is larger than the P380. Because of its size and shape the P380 looks more pocketable than the PM9, or P238, and even the LCP although that one's close.

When asked which he would select if he had to choose between his P238 and P380 he said he would probably take the P380 which *really* makes me want to try one.

I don't know if it's kosher or not to post a link to that thread here. But you can find it on GlockTalk under "Kahr P380/Sig P238 comparison"

Vinikahr
01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
_SIG P238_______________Ruger LCP__________Kahr P380_

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/220/220052/pages/1112269/3guns.JPGhttp://kahrtalk.com/p-cw-series-pistols/1065-kahr-arms-p380-article-massad-ayoob.html

jwr
01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
That pic makes my P238 look a little large & clunky... ouch! :)

I don't know if I would recommend that holster for the P238 if you're going to carry cocked & locked--it looks like safety might not be held in place too well. An RKBA holster is molded to hold the safety in the "safe" position. Hard to tell from the photo but the front half of the safety is covered and held pretty securely.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/jerrywrussell/238h-101.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/jerrywrussell/238h-102.jpg

Vinikahr
01-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Good article surely. My wife is looking hard for a CCW and thinks she should not spend so much money and has kind of settled on a Bersa. It " feels pretty good" to her. I told her if she is going to carry a weapon she should have a very good one as it will probably be her only one. I know she likes the Kahr P380. I realize the bersa is a good weapon and a pretty good value. I know her with a Bersa is much better then her unarmed.

Bersa are good firearms, I had one but sold it, the person that bought it drove me crazy because could not find one, so made an offer I could not resist. I will possible be looking at the new Bersa 9cc to add to my small arsenal.

I am going to have her read this article, she has read the last couple .380 comparison pieces in Handgunner and Rifleman, but both have neglected any mention of the Bersa. I refuse to get her a KT....personal reason, I have had a very bad experiance with one and thats all I will tolerate. I will buy her the gun she wants and that she will carry, I just don't want her to pick her weapon soley because it saved us a hundred bucks and is her second choice. I just recently sold my PF9, when I got I had to do the Buff and Bluff that is recommended and I am not to crazy to be tuning my weapon all the time to be reliable. I guess is worth the extra money to get a better one. I have been trying to have my wife to pick up my CW9, but she likes her Ruger LCP and do not see any reason to own two firearms. Some weapons are good for the money and if the money is scarce that is fine, and as long down the road an upgrade is made. :4:

I may buy it for me and then let her "inheriate it" I wonder if that would work?Not really.:eek: See comments in red!

ltxi
01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Point to note....the P238 is a s/a in the 1911 tradition. For me, it's no solution because I already have a Pocketlight Mustang. That and a 442 is what my PM9 replaced.

jwr
01-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Point to note....the P238 is a s/a in the 1911 tradition.
That was one of the main reasons I got the 238 over an LCP. I have more time with a 1911 than DA guns.

Having said that I have to admit that the CW9 I recently purchased is *very* nice and I wouldn't be surprised if I managed to acquire a P380 or PM9 at some point.

raytor
01-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't know if I would recommend that holster for the P238 if you're going to carry cocked & locked--it looks like safety might not be held in place too well

Those are my guns in that photo! I carry that P238 with hammer down and engage the hammer on the draw so safety in holster was not an issue for me.
(....engage the hammer HAH! I had to say it that way because this forum censors out the word c0ck as in ... the hammer)

That was one of the main reasons I got the 238 over an LCP. I have more time with a 1911 than DA guns.

You can hardly compare the P238 to the LCP. The LCP has virtually no sights and has a nasty recoil making is more a gun of last resort. The P238 is a real pleasure in the hand. Pleasant to shoot and nice night sights make is really accurate. These issues more than compensate for the size difference. But the Kahr is still my favorite. Falls somewhere between the two in sights and shooting but by far the smallest.
I just rotate carrying all 3 according to mood and dress.

Very nice article - thanks for posting the link.

jwr
01-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Those are my guns in that photo! I carry that P238 with hammer down and engage the hammer on the draw so safety in holster was not an issue for me.
(....engage the hammer HAH! I had to say it that way because this forum censors out the word c0ck as in ... the hammer)

Thanks for posting that photo! I love actual side-by-side comparisons and I have that GlockTalk thread bookmarked because it has so many useful photos of the P380, P238, and PM9.

I also appreciate your other comments regarding the LCP/P238 comparison. I really enjoy shooting my P238 and am sorry to see them getting so much bad press.

I carry mine cocked & locked and all the holsters I have cover the safety very well. (I guess I can say "cocked" past tense huh? :p). On the rare occasions when I carry my Commander it's cocked & locked as well and I've become very accustomed to sweeping the safety off and I come on target.

How do you like the P238 compared to the P380. I know you prefer the Kahr but how is the recoil, followup's, etc.

raytor
01-28-2010, 09:16 PM
How do you like the P239(sic) compared to the P380. I know you prefer the Kahr but how is the recoil, followup's, etc.

I absolutely love to carry the Kahr and it is a very nice gun to shoot. I never really noticed much difference in recoil between the kahr and the Sig, not like the LCP which actually hurts after a few magazines. I made the mistake of taking only the LCP to my concealed carry qualification and could not complete the 50 rounds - I had to go get another gun out of the car.

The kahr has nice sights but is DAO compared to the single action of the Sig so it's a little harder to shoot accurately. Once broken in all of mine are 100% reliable. In summary, Kahr P380 is best carry and the Sig P238 is best for shooting. The LCP is good to fly with in case TSA threatens to confiscate it - they are always changing the rules and it's the easiest to replace.

jwr
01-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Raytor, thanks for the additional info! Sorry for the typo--I guess it would be hard to compare an actual "Sig 239" and a P380. :)

BTW, my wife really enjoys shooting the P238. More so than any of my other handguns. She's very accurate with it too.