PDA

View Full Version : Got to shoot the Ruger SR1911

les strat
01-24-2012, 08:03 AM
My brother-in-law had had me on th elookout the last half of last year for the (then) illusive SR1911. Apparently, Ruger's first run in the spring sold out so fast, they were a rare bird for most of the year. I finally found one at a LGS in the town I work, so my sis had me buy it for him (for her) for his Christmas present.

I finally got to shoot it Sunday. What a sweet sweet pistol! I'm not a crack shot by any means, But 50 yard shots were so easy with that thing. He has put the rubber Hogue grips on it, and they felt great even though I am more of a traditionalist and like wood when it comes to 1911s and revolvers. It cycled wonderfully from the getgo, and recoil was very controlled.

I think Ruger hit a homerun with the SR1911, and it is on my short list for the next couple years.

Bawanna
01-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Aww man, I'd just gone almost 4 minutes without thinking about that SR1911 and then you post this..................

I'm sooooo glad it was a glowing good report. I've been scouring for one myself but they just aren't around here yet. One guy got one from a friend that worked at Ruger and another guy heard I was the one that got it. He wanted to know if he could meet me and just hold it and look at it.

I wish I was the guy, I would have gladly let him hold it.

muggsy
01-24-2012, 02:14 PM
I've never met a 1911 that I didn't like.

JohnR
01-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Yep, it's on my list for when I simply have more money than I know what do do with.

les strat
01-24-2012, 03:49 PM
I've already bought a 686 and a G30 this year! I got to stop finding deals or I am never going to stock the piggy bank back up.

That is one fine shooter though.

Sliebl
01-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Good to know the Ruger is a good performer. I bought a SA Range Officer last year and it is by far the most accurate pistol I've ever shot. Shoots a nice ragged hole at 10 yards with my reloads.
I don't shoot it at 50 yards, but that sounds like fun too. What were you shooting at 50 yards? Steel or a paper target? At that range, ringing steel would be fun, but shooting for accuracy wouldn't trip my trigger.
-Steve

les strat
01-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Good to know the Ruger is a good performer. I bought a SA Range Officer last year and it is by far the most accurate pistol I've ever shot. Shoots a nice ragged hole at 10 yards with my reloads.
I don't shoot it at 50 yards, but that sounds like fun too. What were you shooting at 50 yards? Steel or a paper target? At that range, ringing steel would be fun, but shooting for accuracy wouldn't trip my trigger.
-Steve

I had a box with a stick-on target at 50 yds that I was shooting with my AK trying to get the red dot scope fine tuned. We started shooting the 1911 at that, some empty gallon jugs, and a small tumbler-sized container at the 50 yd mark. Like I said, I am not a top shot by no means, but it was fun to see what I could do with that thing. Now my S&W 629 .44 can hang with that 1911 for accuracy all day long. I can hit a milk jug at 100 yds with that. It is a great hog/deer pistol.