PDA

View Full Version : Cost of shipping back a defective gun?

bandrich
01-27-2012, 07:39 AM
I just read some comments on another forum that Kahr requires the customer to pay shipping cost back to Kahr for a NEW gun in need of factory repair. Recoil spring popping out the front of gun etc. Is that true? If so that really sucks and I may second guess my second guess on the purchase of a CM9..:mad:

JFootin
01-27-2012, 07:54 AM
I just read some comments on another forum that Kahr requires the customer to pay shipping cost back to Kahr for a NEW gun in need of factory repair. Recoil spring popping out the front of gun etc. Is that true? If so that really sucks and I may second guess my second guess on the purchase of a CM9..:mad:

Actually, more often than not at their discretion they will pay the return shipping cost. But return shipping is not guaranteed in the warranty for Kahrs or for most guns. Kahr are one of the best at going the extra mile to make a gun right for a customer. And most of the time, they don't even ask if you are the original owner.

Get that frown off your face and get real. You won't, IMO, find better customer service anywhere else.

WMD
01-27-2012, 08:27 AM
You should call Kahr. Sounds like this is something that does not require you sending ther gun back in. They can send you a replacemewnt part or help you correct the condition over the phone. If you have a recoil spring pooping out of the front of the gun, it may just be a case of the gun being put back together incorrectly. Worse case, you need a new recoil spring assembly. Kahr will send you one. AS J Footing says.... nothing to frown about! :D

Good luck!

les strat
01-27-2012, 08:35 AM
I would just call and tell them you need a RA number and UPS shipping label on their dime.

MLESa7990
01-27-2012, 08:45 AM
You should call Kahr. Sounds like this is something that does not require you sending ther gun back in. They can send you a replacemewnt part or help you correct the condition over the phone. If you have a recoil spring pooping out of the front of the gun, it may just be a case of the gun being put back together incorrectly. Worse case, you need a new recoil spring assembly. Kahr will send you one. AS J Footing says.... nothing to frown about! :D

Good luck!

Sounds to me like you are installing the recoil spring improperly. I have done this a couple times with my PM9. No need to get all worked up:target:

KMA
01-27-2012, 09:19 AM
The only time I needed to pay for the shipping costs was when the issue was not covered by the warranty; otherwise they always sent me a RMA number and a prepaid shipping label.

Covert operator
01-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I too purchased a CW45 in early January, had the slide stop button fall off and called them. They gave me a RA number but I had to spend almost 16.00 sending it back, they received it on the 19th and I still do not have it back yet.

On a side note, I have sent Springfield XD, HiPoint, and Rugers back for related things and always get a prepaid postage label from them and HiPoint even sends a magazine back with the repaired gun as a bonus for the inconvience of having to return it. I guess Kahr doesn't feel the need but if this gun doesn't fire and operate properly when I get it back, I'll dump it. Customer service is all about the "customer".

I am patiently waiting for my new pistol to come back so I can put more than 18 rounds through it this time with out a hiccup.

muggsy
01-27-2012, 01:02 PM
I too purchased a CW45 in early January, had the slide stop button fall off and called them. They gave me a RA number but I had to spend almost 16.00 sending it back, they received it on the 19th and I still do not have it back yet.

On a side note, I have sent Springfield XD, HiPoint, and Rugers back for related things and always get a prepaid postage label from them and HiPoint even sends a magazine back with the repaired gun as a bonus for the inconvience of having to return it. I guess Kahr doesn't feel the need but if this gun doesn't fire and operate properly when I get it back, I'll dump it. Customer service is all about the "customer".

I am patiently waiting for my new pistol to come back so I can put more than 18 rouds through it this time.

Words to live by. The customer isn't always right, but the customer is always a customer until you stick it up the business end of his alimentary canal.

WMD
01-27-2012, 02:36 PM
I too purchased a CW45 in early January, had the slide stop button fall off and called them. They gave me a RA number but I had to spend almost 16.00 sending it back, they received it on the 19th and I still do not have it back yet........

Why did you send the gun back for a defective slide stop. It seems it would have been much easier to just ask Kahr to send you a new slide stop. Perhaps, I am misunderstanding the problem? BTW, you got off cheap! $16 to ship a pistol is short change nowadays!

jocko
01-27-2012, 03:32 PM
did u ask them to send a pre paid pickup? Did the slide stop button break? come out? or what, no doubt this fourj could have helped you through this, 16 bucks is a steal sending back a firearm. Normally if u tell them it is agun,k then u sure ain't gonna send it back for 16 bucks. "donj't ask don't tell" plays a big part in this to. If they don't ask, I don't tell.

hpg
01-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Are you absolutely sure the spring is not in backwards?

JFootin
01-28-2012, 08:43 AM
did u ask them to send a pre paid pickup? Did the slide stop button break? come out? or what, no doubt this fourj could have helped you through this, 16 bucks is a steal sending back a firearm. Normally if u tell them it is agun,k then u sure ain't gonna send it back for 16 bucks. "donj't ask don't tell" plays a big part in this to. If they don't ask, I don't tell.

Jocko, I am pretty sure that you are violating federal law if you don't tell UPS or FedEx that it is a gun. And if the package happens to go thru a scanner, you are cooked! That is how those companies hold us up. There isno law saying that guns have to ship by overnight air at $60 a pop, but that is what they insist on once you tell them it is a gun. It is federally supported highway robbery! I am told that FedEx no longer requires the exhorbitant shipping method, but you have to take the gun to a distribution center and for me, that is an 80 mile round trip.

I'll tell you what I do. I have my FFL send guns by USPS. It is usually not more than $17 and he charges me $10 for the service. My FFL in Lilburn, GA, used to do it for me for just a flat $17.

jocko
01-28-2012, 09:05 AM
damn, and as u know I could really give a rats ass to.If u wannt pay 50 bucks thatis fine, I will stay at around 12 bucks. I certainly don't addressmy guns to kahrs arms or ruger gun etc.

best be legal, pay $50 get fokked while doing it.

TriggerMan
01-28-2012, 03:40 PM
damn, and as u know I could really give a rats ass to.If u wannt pay 50 bucks thatis fine, I will stay at around 12 bucks. I certainly don't addressmy guns to kahrs arms or ruger gun etc.

best be legal, pay $50 get fokked while doing it.After they lose your $600 gun and REFUSE any claim on it, you'll rethink that $50 you saved.

jocko
01-28-2012, 05:00 PM
if that happened, indeed I would. but it hasw never happened. It is a rip off forcing one to send it next day air. pure rip off.

kerby9mm
01-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Did you ever mail cash? Was it lost? Do your incoming bills make it to your mailbox? Do your outgoing bills make it to their destination? Do advertisements and junk mail find their way to you? When is the last time the PO lost something of yours? Go ahead. Make up something

JFootin
01-28-2012, 05:51 PM
After they lose your $600 gun and REFUSE any claim on it, you'll rethink that $50 you saved.

Well, when my FFL sends a gun for me, it goes Priority Mail with delivery confirmation, a tracking number and insurance. I've never had anything lost by them.

ltxi
01-28-2012, 06:06 PM
A handgun? I doubt that unless they're seriously stupid or don't care about keeping their FFL.

TriggerMan
01-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Well, when my FFL sends a gun for me, it goes Priority Mail with delivery confirmation, a tracking number and insurance. I've never had anything lost by them.That's fine when an FFL does it AND buys insurance. The USPS will honor a claim. I was referring to Jocko's post that you should use UPS or FedEx, not tell them it was a gun and don't insure it ($12 is clearly without any insurance). I am pointing out a risk that is real. Everyone will do what they want, just have your eyes wide open when you do.

About seven weeks ago, I went to the FedEx hub, tried to ship a gun from MI to GA. They mandated overnight air (wouldn't allow 2 day air as they do for manufacturers). Without insurance, the cost was $61. With $700 of insured value, the cost was over $200!! one way

Ship just the slide when you can. You will be able to use the cheapest US Post Office means. If you can get the manufacturer to pre-pay, that is best. Some services allow you to pre-pay round trip at a good corporate rate. Sig has a $55 RT rate you can buy from them when non-warranty work is done.

An FFL acting for you can save money. Rules for FFL are more liberal than for us mortals.

TriggerMan
01-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Did you ever mail cash? Was it lost? Do your incoming bills make it to your mailbox? Do your outgoing bills make it to their destination? Do advertisements and junk mail find their way to you? When is the last time the PO lost something of yours? Go ahead. Make up somethingI'm not dumb enough to mail cash. All my bills come in online and all of them are paid online. Never a problem.

FedEx did lose a golf club sent to me by Fred Couples via by a custom club maker (Kenneth Smith). It was stollen by a FedEx employee and recovered about a month after the expected delivery date.

Read a story earlier in the week about the US Post Office delivering a magazine 75 YEARS late.

Here's an X-mas gift a year late

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2011/dec/21/postal-service-delivers-christmas-gift-to-indian/

More stories

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/lost-mail-ever-happen-you-637686.html

TriggerMan
01-28-2012, 08:03 PM
if that happened, indeed I would. but it hasw never happened. It is a rip off forcing one to send it next day air. pure rip off.It is a rip off. The Common carriers must have friends in Congress to give them a monopoly.

MikeyKahr
01-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Just wait until the USPS becomes a shell of what we have known it to be.

Sent using Tapatalk

tv_racin_fan
01-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Did you ever mail cash? Was it lost? Do your incoming bills make it to your mailbox? Do your outgoing bills make it to their destination? Do advertisements and junk mail find their way to you? When is the last time the PO lost something of yours? Go ahead. Make up something

Why would I need to make something up?

Just recently I mailed cash to two different people in the same state... one got their payment.. the other claims he never did, I have no real reason to believe otherwise. I can not count the number of times I got mail that was not mine and I never heard of the name it was addressed to. More than once I have given someone the wrong number.. simple typo 1234 instead of 1223 for example.. and never got that mail.. once it was a UPS thing and I realized when it did not come on the date the tracker said it was out for delivery that something was wrong and got it fixed pronto. (that turned out to be a fiasco because somehow someone got the wrong address and my credit card info and charged some stuff to me, lucky for me my bank saw the strange charges and called me and stopped payment and I didn't lose a penny... only use of them during their initial investigation).

I have two aunts that were postmasters.... and yes sometimes mail does indeed get "lost".

tv_racin_fan
01-29-2012, 12:27 AM
I do not get the animosity toward the post office and the sheeple that want it shut down.

Read the US Constitution please. PLEASE!

kerby9mm
01-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Is the percentage of lost mail even a fraction of the percentage of guns that have problems? Yet we continue to buy guns that could very well have problems. There is always that chance with anything.

tv_racin_fan
01-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Indeed there is always a risk.

Tis why I try not to buy unknown companies products. Name Brand corps in general tend to take care of their customers or they don't stay around long.

tomwalshco
01-29-2012, 05:21 PM
.....I am told that FedEx no longer requires the exhorbitant shipping method, but you have to take the gun to a distribution center .............
I can't find that info anywhere. Where did you hear this?

ltxi
01-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Just wait until the USPS becomes a shell of what we have known it to be.

Three cent stamp. Twice daily mail delivery service. It already is a shell using that basis. 'Course, that was awhile back.

I really have no complaint with USPS in its current form. Email, electronic bill pay, mandate to deliver to the middle of nowhere for 44 cents or whatever are daunting challenges. And they don't really seem to lose stuff much anymore.

TriggerMan
01-29-2012, 07:28 PM
I can't find that info anywhere. Where did you hear this?I believe he's mistaken. Google will supply all your answers.

tomwalshco
01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Three cent stamp. Twice daily mail delivery service. It already is a shell using that basis. 'Course, that was awhile back.

I really have no complaint with USPS in its current form. Email, electronic bill pay, mandate to deliver to the middle of nowhere for 44 cents or whatever are daunting challenges. And they don't really seem to lose stuff much anymore.
Except $10B (and rising) of our money every year. No matter how they disguise what the structure is - it's still our money.....

Why they just don't give the whole thing lock, stock and barrel to UPS or Fedex is beyond me, even the buildings. A profit would be turned, service would improve and POTUS would have more money to spend on important things like operation "Fast and Furious" and free college tuition for illegals.

tv_racin_fan
01-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Except $10B (and rising) of our money every year. No matter how they disguise what the structure is - it's still our money.....

Why they just don't give the whole thing lock, stock and barrel to UPS or Fedex is beyond me, even the buildings. A profit would be turned, service would improve and POTUS would have more money to spend on important things like operation "Fast and Furious" and free college tuition for illegals.

LOL!

UPS ands FEDEX make profit in their business because they do not go to every home every business day just to see if they have a package that needs shipping. IF they did that as the POST OFFICE is mandated to do then their costs would skyrocket.

Yet I say turn it over to UPS or FEDEX and let the sheeple that have no clue find the truth. Then when they lose service every business day or the cost of mail sky rockets....

tomwalshco
01-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Not to hijack - but I agree to a point .....

Is delivering mail 25 miles to the north 40 6 days a week expensive, sure. When 95% of those pieces are 3rd class, unsolicited offers from Verizon, AT&T, Dominos, Capital One, et al, it's brutal. Add landfill and environmental costs and it's triple brutal. Don't forget the subsidized union dues.

Just another entitlement program to me - for 600,000 people tooling around in 275,000 vehicles. Couple times a week should be plenty. Need it more often, come and get it. We need the money to aid poor Saudi Arabia and China.

My UPS guy double-times to my porch and sprints back to his truck. Last time I saw my mailman hustle was when some hail actually caught him out of his van. What the hell was he thinking??

Sorry to all the USPS people. My mother was one for 28 years. It's not the people really, it's the system and labor bullies mostly. They used to get $25 leather bags, now they get $40K vans that idle all day long. No going green for these bastards. Bad part is - we tolerate it.

BrewerGeorge
01-30-2012, 09:58 PM
The USPS is screwed because they are forced to run as a "private" business, but they have no control over either their expenses or their revenue - by law. It should either be run as a wholly public entity supported by taxes (my preference - Lord knows that the Patent Office, say, isn't expected to show a profit.) or as a wholly private business that can set their own prices and hire/fire employees as needed to stay afloat.