PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER new gun - not a Kahr

TheTman
01-27-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm going down to pick up my S&W M&P Pro 9mm 5" barrel with green fiber optic front sight in a few. That is supposed to be a super gun for IDPA.
Guess I'll find out.
I did put a couple mags thru the Boberg, and it ran like a champ. It's very soft shooting for such a small gun. It's a keeper for sure. I wasn't really testing accuracy, but it shot the hell out of a 6x8 box at 15 yards from inside my barn.

JFootin
01-27-2012, 02:41 PM
That's very cool, Tom! :) What is the trigger like on that M&P Pro?

Dueeast
01-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Congrats and good luck with your new pistol! I have a full size M&P9mm. I put the Ameriglo green front sight,and blackened rear sight on it. I also had an APEX DCAEK installed and polished.(SMOOOOOOOOTH).

KMA
01-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Glad you like the Boberg. Enjoy!

Barth
01-27-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm going down to pick up my S&W M&P Pro 9mm 5" barrel with green fiber optic front sight in a few. That is supposed to be a super gun for IDPA.
Guess I'll find out.
I did put a couple mags thru the Boberg, and it ran like a champ. It's very soft shooting for such a small gun. It's a keeper for sure. I wasn't really testing accuracy, but it shot the hell out of a 6x8 box at 15 yards from inside my barn.

those boxes can be really offensive at times

LMT42
01-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Congrats and good luck with your new pistol! I have a full size M&P9mm. I put the Ameriglo green front sight,and blackened rear sight on it. I also had an APEX DCAEK installed and polished.(SMOOOOOOOOTH).

Is the DCAEK that much better than the stock trigger? I see the kit is $90.00, and recommends gunsmith installation, so it's not cheap. Just wondering as I may purchase an M&P 9C soon. Thanks.

TheTman
01-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Jfootin, you wouldn't believe how light the trigger pull is on that DAO gun, I'd say 4 maybe 5 pounds tops. It's a dream to shoot. I took it and the Boberg, my Star M30 and my new 686 out tonite and shot them. I have another post with the range report. I sucked bad tonite, but at least I got some lead downrange.

LMT42, I've not tried the "normal" M&P trigger, but if the DCAEK turns it into a trigger like on my Pro, I'd definately go for it. My trigger is 4-5 lbs, very crisp. It's the best DAO trigger I ever shot (Sorry Kahr). It takes a little bit to take up the slack, then you feel the trigger ready to go, squeeze and bang.

LMT42
01-28-2012, 06:59 AM
It takes a little bit to take up the slack, then you feel the trigger ready to go, squeeze and bang.

Very nice, sounds a bit similar to a two stage rifle trigger. I found a guy that sells M&Ps with the DCAEK installed for an extra $110.00 - can't complain about a $20.00 install. I can get the 9C with night sights and DCAEK installed for $610.00 - I think that's a pretty darn good price.

JFootin
01-28-2012, 09:10 AM
You know, I took notice of a new military/duty spec striker fired gun from FNH, introduced at Shot Show. Very low bore axis like a Kahr and a trigger that is said to feel like a 1911. A very interesting gun. Here is my post about it.

http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=127795&postcount=68

Barth
01-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Guess I'll find out.

I don't know if it's the new;
1) XS Big Dot Express Sights?
2) Hogue Finger Groove Rubber Grips?
3) Sig Sauer SPORT match grade heavy contoured 5.47" Stainless barrel?
Or all of the above.

But my P220/45 is a soft shooting, tack driving, piece of German machinery.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo09/fd/dd/7da54042b7a2__1327194679000.jpghttps://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo26/da/ae/b1f86eb16682__1326570082000.jpg

MW surveyor
01-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Those barrels sticking out beyond the slide just look WRONG ;)

Barth
01-28-2012, 11:02 AM

I'm currently collecting the various parts for my latest Long Barrel creation.
Have special ordered an extended, dual ported, Isonite QPQ finish on stainless barrel; that ships Feb 3.
Will post pics and range report after assembly (mid Feb).
This board does rub off on you though.
Never had a ported barrel before.
Damn Jocko and Jeepster
Now I've got to have one too - LOL!

TheTman
01-28-2012, 11:50 AM
JFootin, that FNH looks pretty nice. They're pretty much and affordable gun for the most part aren't they?

Barth, I bet that is a tack driving SIG, those are very fine weapons.

LMT, yes, a two stage trigger. You take up the slack, then have a crisp 4-5lb break. VERY nice.

I was reading on another forum, that some of these M&P's are having accuracy problems, like 8 inch groups at 25 yards while others get 2-3 inch groups at that range. It doesnt seem to be the barrel, cause one guy had 2 M&P's, one that grouped well and one that didn't, and he swapped barrels, and both pistols still shot the same with the different barrel. I think mine came from Davison's Inc. with lifetime guarantee, so that would be a good thing if it doesn't shape up.

JFootin
01-28-2012, 12:21 PM
JFootin, that FNH looks pretty nice. They're pretty much and affordable gun for the most part aren't they?

They aren't cheap, but competitive with glocks and stuff. Definitely quality guns. Used to (still do?) make the majority of Browning pistols like the Hi Powers, the Baby Brownings and stuff. Here is a search page from Bud's.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_245/FN+Herstal/

ltxi
01-28-2012, 04:38 PM

They wouldn't if they had threads.

MW surveyor
01-28-2012, 05:28 PM
They wouldn't if they had threads.

If they were threaded and had a can on there, then I would understand.

ltxi
01-28-2012, 05:43 PM
I would never post pictures of my guns with cans. Never can tell who might be monitoring these forums.

Please delete my comment after you've read it.

Bawanna
01-28-2012, 06:00 PM
I would never post pictures of my guns with cans. Never can tell who might be monitoring these forums.

Please delete my comment after you've read it.

I went one step further I cut out my tongue and swallowed the stump. No way they can make me talk.

Whats a can?

ltxi
01-28-2012, 06:36 PM
That small wooden shack out back of the house with a bench seat with a hole in the center and a Sears catalog inside, and a half moon cutout in the door.

Unless you were serious. :rolleyes:

Bawanna
01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
That small wooden shack out back of the house with a bench seat with a hole in the center and a Sears catalog inside, and a half moon cutout in the door.

Unless you were serious. :rolleyes:

OK, I was right but I didn't want to look dumb. Ours has a Montgomery Ward catalog presently and I guess we're well off, we got a two holer, or a love seat as we refer to it.

Cans incidently are now legal in Wa. I think Idaho is too for everyone. We got to jump thru a few hoops and give away money so I'll just stick with the love seat for now.

ltxi
01-28-2012, 07:21 PM
OK, I was right but I didn't want to look dumb. Ours has a Montgomery Ward catalog presently and I guess we're well off, we got a two holer, or a love seat as we refer to it.

Cans incidently are now legal in Wa. I think Idaho is too for everyone. We got to jump thru a few hoops and give away money so I'll just stick with the love seat for now.

If yours still has a Monkey Ward catalog you either stockpiled insanely many years ago or seriously do not use it enough.

I like that two holer, love seat idea. Wish we'd thought of/had that back when I was teenager in PA. Our functional equivalent was two outhouses side-by-side with holes bored through the walls for holding hands.

Cans are legal here, no issue with that. It's just that pesky paperwork, traceability, time, and expense I have problems with.

tv_racin_fan
01-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Well ya know how them govt critters is.. They can't understand plain ole english.

TriggerMan
01-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Is the DCAEK that much better than the stock trigger? I see the kit is $90.00, and recommends gunsmith installation, so it's not cheap. Just wondering as I may purchase an M&P 9C soon. Thanks.I have a full size M&P 9 (not the pro). For $30 labor, I had a gunsmith install the Apex DC/AEK. Its a much better feeling trigger, shorter reset and lighter. No grit. Worth the money to me for shrinking my groups by 50%.

I also added Trijicon HD sights /orange. A hassle to get, expensive at $179 installed and not worth it. The last mod I made was a heavy duty complex recoil spring assembly. Helped some. Cost $90

TriggerMan
01-31-2012, 08:09 PM
I went one step further I cut out my tongue and swallowed the stump. No way they can make me talk.

Whats a can?Noise supressers are only legal in some states. I'd love one on my HD gun. Don't wanna wake the neighbors or my GF if I get an unauthorized late night visitor.