PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Our Hobby

medezyner
01-29-2010, 07:25 AM
From a response to another thread, I got to thinking how much money I’ve spent on this firearms hobby. Or is it an obsession? Ahh, how about a “hobby of necessity”.
Anyway, for sh***&giggles I started on a list of everything I buy relating to this hobby. I started on the obvious items: guns, ammo, club membership dues. Then I really dug into the nitty-gritty and found I was spending a LOT more than I initially thought. Definitely money well spent. The list is long, but I’m sure there’s something I’ve forgotten. Anyone else ever consider how much money they drop on this hobby each year? How many billions are spent by consumers for firearms and related products?

recoilguy
01-29-2010, 07:28 AM
All I know is I wish I had more money then I do. I just bought a new safe this year because my other one is now full. So If i had more $$$$$$ I could fill the new one quicker too. I will say this since i have begun to get into handguns too I spend less on motorcycles.

RCG

jfrey
01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't drink alcohol and my wife won't let me chase other women, so what else do I have to spend my money on??? It would take a good accountant to figure out what I have spent on my "hobby" in the last 40+ years. It's an investment - right?

hsart
01-29-2010, 07:56 AM
When I think about all the money spent on non-necessities, the money spent on handgun, ammo, etc actually has a greater return on "investment". That return includes the more or less stable prices for handguns (they do not lose much value if taken care of) and the peace of mind one gets by knowing that they and their family are safer than before. That return on investment skyrockets if our training saves a life some day!!! I spend about the same amount on this passion as I do my life insurance policy each year and I get a lot more satisfaction on writing the check for purchasing new equipment and ammo. Just my 2 cents!!!

wyntrout
01-29-2010, 08:25 AM
The thought crossed my mind the other day that if I finally won the BIG one... lottery, maybe I could find a cheap, foreclosed bank building with a nice walk-in vault.... Think of all the Kahrs... and other guns, I guess, that I could display on the walls of a properly-sized vault.... I could get a complete collection of all the Kahrs and maybe put in a sound-proof, private range with proper ventilation for the lead vapor and splatter.... Hmmm.:rolleyes: We can dream!
Wynn:D

There's a gun show here this weekend and my available funds are really . If I go and see that perfect PM45... NS...DLC.... I can just hear that song from the commercial palying now -- Love hurts....:( Dang, no crying emoticon?):D

Price
01-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Wynn I spend about half of my day and all of my night dreaming about that very thing, only instead of a bank I just have a house built with an indoor range and full blown arms room.

wyntrout
01-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Yep! If I could build my dream house, it would definitely have a one-lane 15-yard indoor range... maybe as part of my "bunker", er, basement. They don't build many basements down here, but we have tornadoes, hurricanes, and the possibility of storm surges... or tsunamis... and maybe the SHTF!:eek: So a protective shelter and small armory... and a well-stocked larder might come in handy. Down here too many people start queuing up for government relief when storms are still days away! If the gummint can't provide their wants, er, needs, then they might look elsewhere... maybe like the busy ants and the frolicking grasshopper fable, only not asking for help.:eek:
Wynn

Vinikahr
01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I stop buying firearms in 1998 then bought a small one NAA .32 (still have) in 2004 then stop again until 2008 begin buying Guns and Ammo (sounds like the magazine), I have bought enough guns for those years that I did not bought. The problem is that you start taking care everybody else first and then you forget about you.

So, I decided to pick up the hobby of firearms again (self defense primarily) what I have spent is very small amount compare to other people habits or other hobbies. Always take care first your basics needs(shelter, food, clothing etc...) and make sure you save some green (savings) for raining days, once that is done take your cut for whatever is left and enjoy. :84:

wyntrout
01-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Hey, another good reason is you only live once, you're not getting any younger, and you want to get some stuff to enjoy while you can... ya' know -- the sympathy gambit or ploy. I just used that. I'm trying to soften up my wife about buying the P45... especially if I find a DEAL!:rolleyes:

Vinikahr
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey, another good reason is you only live once, you're not getting any younger, and you want to get some stuff to enjoy while you can... ya' know -- the sympathy gambit or ploy. I just used that. I'm trying to soften up my wife about buying the P45... especially if I find a DEAL!:rolleyes:

I know the drill! LOL!:D

wyntrout
01-29-2010, 01:14 PM
¡Hola, amigo! Check out the post I made a little while ago:
http://kahrtalk.com/rkba-discussion/615-our-government-needs-change-3.html#post9313
This article -- in The New York Times -- is an unbelievable prediction of our current financial mess and shows its roots... published September 30, 1999!!:eek:
Wynn

In-Yo-Grill
01-29-2010, 01:20 PM
It's too painful to put numbers to so I just don't do it. I've learned not to get too attached to some guns so I can keep trying others until I find my core group.

It's this group that will eventually get passed down to my kids or other family members.

wyntrout
01-29-2010, 01:27 PM
It's too painful to put numbers to so I just don't do it. I've learned not to get too attached to some guns so I can keep trying others until I find my core group.

It's this group that will eventually get passed down to my kids or other family members.

It's a good idea to take a photographic inventory of your arsenal and accessories -- serial numbers, price when acquired, "reasonable" sale price for same, etc. so that you don't leave your family in the dark or allow them to be taken advantage of by some unscrupulous person aiding them in estate handling. I really need to update mine again. I have a small database for this and photos of everything. It would be nice to put it on CD as well and put things like this in a safe place -- fireproof document box or safe.
Something to think about. Some collections represent a lot of money -- "investment".
Wynn:)

Dietrich
01-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Well,I don`t drink,smoke,do drugs or go to honkytonks and run whores so I treat myself to my two remaining vices.My firearms and their related activities and my boat and its` related activities.Life is good. :D

In-Yo-Grill
01-29-2010, 07:28 PM
It's a good idea to take a photographic inventory of your arsenal and accessories -- serial numbers, price when acquired, "reasonable" sale price for same, etc. so that you don't leave your family in the dark or allow them to be taken advantage of by some unscrupulous person aiding them in estate handling. I really need to update mine again. I have a small database for this and photos of everything. It would be nice to put it on CD as well and put things like this in a safe place -- fireproof document box or safe.
Something to think about. Some collections represent a lot of money -- "investment".
Wynn:)

Yeah I need to catalog all my firearms. As soon as I bring all them out I'm going to open up a hail storm of criticism from the wifey. I guess she'll just have to deal with it...lol

Bawanna
01-29-2010, 07:47 PM
My family won't have any problems, I'm taking mine with me. I do keep photo's, SN's, purchase dates and values just in case they rob me before they nail the lid shut.

wyntrout
01-29-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm really behind on an inventory of everything else -- stereos, TVs, About 5 different DVRs, a bunch of computer stuff, cameras, and guns and accessories. Then there are CD's DVD's and the list just goes on. I know that I probably have about $400 worth of of cable and adapters for everything High Def and and computer to HD stuff, and none of it is the expensive stuff. I pay 4 or 5 bucks for an HDMI cable and buy a bunch at one time -- the last were 3, 5, and 10 foot cables with ferrite cores on the end of each for around 5 bucks a pop. I wanted to cover every possibility in hooking up my new TV and the eight or so other thingies plugged into it. I have a little extra stuff.:o That's why I need to do a video and photo inventory. I'm lazy AND a procrastinator... that's the only thing I don't put off. You've probably noticed that I'm very obsessed with material stuff.:rolleyes:
Now I've gotten back into guns and shooting... and bit too much political ranting. That's all I'll say here... trying to keep to the the present topic.
It's important to have inventories though, not just for estates, but theft or weather, etc.
Wynn:o

medezyner
01-30-2010, 05:46 AM
My family won't have any problems, I'm taking mine with me. I do keep photo's, SN's, purchase dates and values just in case they rob me before they nail the lid shut.

Ya, I just got through that inventory thing. Digital pix, serial numbers all recorded on a DVD and put in a fire box. A fair amount of green tied up in firearms. That & tools. I’d cry if someone cleaned out my garage! I know some day I’ll have to part with a lot of my “stuff”, but until then, it’s play-time.

jwr
01-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I spend about the same on nice fly rods and reels as I do on firearms. Both are expensive. But, the big difference for me is when I go to use them.

I can go fishing for the cost of gas and a handful of flies.

To go shooting usually costs me $10-18 in range fees and around $60 in ammo if I shoot .22, .380, 9mm, and .45!

$60 to $70 per outing is a lot! And even if I go cheap and just shoot .22 and 9mm it'll cost me $30 or $40.

Bawanna
01-30-2010, 10:22 AM
I spend about the same on nice fly rods and reels as I do on firearms. Both are expensive. But, the big difference for me is when I go to use them.

I can go fishing for the cost of gas and a handful of flies.

To go shooting usually costs me $10-18 in range fees and around $60 in ammo if I shoot .22, .380, 9mm, and .45!

$60 to $70 per outing is a lot! And even if I go cheap and just shoot .22 and 9mm it'll cost me $30 or $40.

Your not shooting enough friend. I supply ammo for myself and my kids. We try to go once a month and usually average about 4 hours at the range. It usually means a solid week of evenings at the reloading bench to recoup (when I can) and start all over again. Several hours cleaning as well. Don't mind that. I kind of like fondling anyhow, even dirty (Jocko I know PERVERT). Fortunately my oldest is old enough and working so he can help financially. PS- We fly fish too. So many toys, so little time.

jwr
01-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Your not shooting enough friend.
That's the truth! I wish I could go out more but I usually try for once a month as well, and typically shoot a 50 round box of .380, a box of .45, a couple boxes of 9mm, and 100 rounds of .22.

I used to reload back when I was shooting .44 mag and .357 mag almost exclusively. I sold all my stuff to a friend when I left the state and never got back into it. I would like to start again but money's tight and Monarch is cheap :)

In-Yo-Grill
01-30-2010, 02:04 PM
I try to get out to the range at least once a month and usually only take two calbers at a time because it's too hard lugging all the guns around.

zena
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm going to pull a Scarlett O'Hara line and say I refuse to think about it today. I'll think about that tomorrow. Having too much fun with my guns (and my friends guns!) to want to think about the $ involved. All my ammo is "free" since I load it myself.....

Bawanna
01-30-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm going to pull a Scarlett O'Hara line and say I refuse to think about it today. I'll think about that tomorrow. Having too much fun with my guns (and my friends guns!) to want to think about the $ involved. All my ammo is "free" since I load it myself.....

Where do you shop for free bullets, powder and primers? I want to shop there too. Even components have been big bucks in my area. Even hard to get for quite awhile. Primers especially. We reload nearly everything we shoot, have to or we'd be bankrupt for sure. We try not to lose sleep over it, either we got stuff and go shoot or we just dry fondle. Always keep a minimum stash on hand in case the "O" squad comes knocking at the door.:001_huh:

fitzgood
01-30-2010, 08:10 PM
My dad passed away about a year ago and my most treasured possession that he gave me before he died is a firearm that my grandpa gave to him. I don't know if my guns are a good investment, but I hope one or two of mine will be priceless to my son or daughter someday.