PDA

View Full Version : Limp wristing.........

rb288
01-30-2012, 05:57 AM
I am not a novice shooter by any definition, but I am totally ignorant to what "limp wristing" is and why it can cause problems with a CW45 when shooting.
I know a firm grip is essential, but, what is it about a "loose grip" that causes these problems...ie. failure to extract, failure to feed, etc...?

Any thoughts that can enlighten me would be greatly appreciated.

muggsy
01-30-2012, 06:20 AM
"Limp wristing" is term used to describe a condition where the gun is allowed to recoil freely with little resistance. This action is supposed to absorbs some of the recoil energy needed to properly cycle the action. It can result in failures to eject and double feeds. I've never experienced it.

Bill K
01-30-2012, 06:50 AM
What muggsy said. I've experienced with my Kel-Tec P3AT when I first got the gun on occasion towards the end of a range session when I've sometimes lost some concentration or gotten tired. You might as a new shooter induce it by shooting single handed using your weak hand. Generally the larger and heavier the pistol the less chance of limp wristing. Limp wristing a revolver would of course not cause "feeding" issues.

TominCA
01-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Its not just "up and down" It can be too much movement from right to left also. Critical with the p380

Baccerman
01-30-2012, 04:30 PM
My son took a couple of girls to the range and on of them could not get a rented LC9 to cycle at all... worked fine for him'cause he knew how to hold it.

CJB
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Limp wristing does not actually have to be a really limp wrist either. Its just that any time the frame of a pistol is allowed to use the hand, wrist, arm... as a "shock absorber", its going to potentially cause problems with cycling. Larger pistols (1911A1, large Beretta, Browning HP, full size Sig, etc) will do better, as the larger slide and barrel will be heavier, have more momentum, and tend to be very tolerant of variance in hold. They also generally have a longer "overtravel" built into the design, such that the timing of the parts is not as critical due to the built in extra movement they do which is above and beyond the call of "just getting the job done". Small pistols, generally have light parts, less momentum to the parts, stiffer springs to contend with lighter parts, and a whole lot less "overtravel" in the mechanism - timing is a lot more critical, and functioning requires a firm hold.