PDA

View Full Version : Nano success

TriggerMan
02-01-2012, 08:26 AM
My Nano took a little longer to break-in than other guns I've purchased new. I am comfortable with it as my carry piece, shooting Federal HST 124gr (P9HST1). Range ammo was S&B 115gr, Lawman 124, 147gr and American Eagle 115gr

I had FTEs with range ammo. In the early going it was 7 rounds per 100; it improved to 4/100 quickly and tappered off to 1/100 or less at 400 rds. At the 300 round mark, I fixed the followers in my mags so they would fall freely inside the mag tubes. I locked open my slide for 48 hours for the second time. The last thing I did was to spray/blast the striker channel and extractor channels. I also clean & lube after every range session, even if I shot just 75 rnds.

Next, I successfully shot both Gold Dots and the Federal HSTs in quantity. 100% flawless. She rides in a High Noon Split Decision, but, I'm still looking for a premium leather holster like a Desbiens IWB #3.

For me the Nano shoots a bit softer than the PM9. It is easier FOR ME to shoot accurately with it. I'm adding the pinkie extension to the mag. Its funny, the Kahr 9mm fits and I ordered it from Pearce. No one has any Beretta version yet. The grip is not very "grippy" on the sides, so I'll have to do something there. I carried it most of last week. She's good to go.

Russ
02-01-2012, 08:59 AM
My Nano took a little longer to break-in than other guns I've purchased new. I am comfortable with it as my carry piece, shooting Federal HST 124gr (P9HST1). Range ammo was S&B 115gr, Lawman 124, 147gr and American Eagle 115gr

I had FTEs with range ammo. In the early going it was 7 rounds per 100; it improved to 4/100 quickly and tappered off to 1/100 or less at 400 rds. At the 300 round mark, I fixed the followers in my mags so they would fall freely inside the mag tubes. I locked open my slide for 48 hours for the second time. The last thing I did was to spray/blast the striker channel and extractor channels. I also clean & lube after every range session, even if I shot just 75 rnds.

Next, I successfully shot both Gold Dots and the Federal HSTs in quantity. 100% flawless. She rides in a High Noon Split Decision, but, I'm still looking for a premium leather holster like a Desbiens IWB #3.

For me the Nano shoots a bit softer than the PM9. It is easier FOR ME to shoot accurately with it. I'm adding the pinkie extension to the mag. Its funny, the Kahr 9mm fits and I ordered it from Pearce. No one has any Beretta version yet. The grip is not very "grippy" on the sides, so I'll have to do something there. I carried it most of last week. She's good to go.

Triggerman

Great report. I am happy for you. I decided to go with a Ruger 357 LCR for CCW. I will miss the flat look of the Nano in my front pocket. It really is a well made gun. Your patience payed off.

I was surprised the 357 in a stubble is only slightly more potent over a +p 9mm round. I am going to go with a 158 grain hollow point for carry and Target with light 38.

Russ

JFootin
02-01-2012, 09:04 AM
TriggerMan, for a lot less money and arguably finer workmanship, I recommend James Dean (jlaudio29 on here). He uses Herman Oak leather, does all hand stitching, the most perfect edge finishing I have ever seen, deep finish, will do exotic trim if you want. And his prices are really amazing for a level of beauty and wormanship that is right up there with the elite holster makers! Here is a thread featuring several of his holsters, including my black IWB for the CM9, and some great pics:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9712

TriggerMan
02-01-2012, 11:50 AM
TriggerMan, for a lot less money and arguably finer workmanship, I recommend James Dean (jlaudio29 on here). He uses Herman Oak leahter, does all hand stitching, the most perfect edge finishing I have ever seen, deep finish, will do exotic trim if you want. And his prices are really amazing for a level of beauty and wormanship that is right up there with the elite holster makers! Here is a thread featuring several of his holsters, including my black IWB for the CM9, and some great pics:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9712 He's (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9712[/QUOTE] He's) on my top three list. I need to check if he has a mold yet.

TriggerMan
02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Triggerman

Great report. I am happy for you. I decided to go with a Ruger 357 LCR for CCW. I will miss the flat look of the Nano in my front pocket. It really is a well made gun. Your patience payed off.

I was surprised the 357 in a stubble is only slightly more potent over a +p 9mm round. I am going to go with a 158 grain hollow point for carry and Target with light 38.

RussIrony: adding a 'made for Kahr 9mm' grip extension to a Nano mag. I also experimented with some lure paint and filled in the Nano slide script.

Best of luck on your Ruger

TriggerMan
02-08-2012, 01:06 AM
I shot a box of S&B 115gr FMJ today and a couple of mags of HST. Flawless. The S&B was the same ammo from the same lot which presented problems early in my break-in period. One Nano owner had a longer breakin, but due, in my opinion, to insisting on using the cheapest ammo around after Beretta advised it was the cause of FTEs. Nearly all Nanos were broken-in around 200 rounds or less.