PDA

View Full Version : Why buy the K9?

jdr3366
02-01-2012, 08:37 PM
My next pistol will be a Kahr, probably a CW9, but maybe a K9.

Less likely to be a CM9.

Considering the higher cost, I'd appreciate knowing the reasons that K9 thread members selected their K9.
Thanks,

ripley16
02-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I'd appreciate knowing the reasons that K9 thread members selected their K9.

* bumped into a killer deal on my first one
* ran into an even better deal on my second one.
* very reliable.
* fits my hand really well.
* makes a great CCW.
* beautiful gun.

Staffords
02-01-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm not a huge fan of polymer frame handguns. I like the feeling of an all steel weapon. Not that the plastic is going to wear out or anything. The K9, at least to me, also feels more comfortable in my hand. I didn't mind the extra weight of the K9 because a good waistband holster (and its not really an ankle or pocket-sized gun) will take care of the comfort, and I actually prefer the little extra weight in a small gun to reduce the recoil felt with each shot.

JimBianchi
02-01-2012, 10:19 PM
First off, I am a big dude. 6ft 5in, 290. I can hide a lot of gun if need be!

I have a MK9 (same dimensions as a PM9/CM9) and a K9.

I shoot them both well, but the K9 shoots VERY well. Very little recoil, very fast follow up shots.

The K9 is too big for pocket carry (maybe cargo pockets) while the MK9 is 8oz heavier than the PM9/CM9 but I still pocket carry it a lot in the summer.

IWB (CompTack Pro Undercover) both fit in the same holster, the K9 feels and carry's the same as the MK9, but the K9 holds one more round.

I've been carrying the K9 16hrs a day for a few weeks now and love it. I can get a full grip faster than with the smaller MK9.

If I had bought the K9 first, I would not have bought a MK9. I would have bought a CM9.

Kahrson
02-02-2012, 06:39 AM
I had a pocket gun a Ruger LCP and a full size polymer in a FNP9 and a Sig 226. I wanted something in between and something I could conceal in the summer wearing a t shirt and shorts. I went with the K9 Elite and have not had one moment of buyers regret.

It carries and conceals perfectly in a Remora iwb in just a t shirt and shorts. The thin profile of the gun makes it perfect for this. The all steel construction gives the gun enough weight for reduced muzzle flip and fast follow ups.
It has been 100% reliable with about 700 rounds without a single issue of any kind. Not to mention the Elite is one dead sexy looker!

It has not shown itself to be ammo sensitive as I have put WWB, Winchester NATO, American Eagle, Remington, RWS, Fiocchi and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others through it.

The only complaint I would have is the way it breaks down. Having to hold the slide partially back and remove the slide release pin can take some patience especially for a lefty like myself. They do come with a darn heavy return spring and holding that slide partially back can take some doing.

Also whish I could find some nice cocobolo grips but no one makes them.
For a personal defense carry weapon it offers so much more than a pocket gun and the advantages of a full size single stack in a lightly smaller package.
Awesome firearm!

JFootin
02-02-2012, 06:48 AM
The only complaint I would have is the way it breaks down. Having to hold the slide partially back and remove the slide release pin can take some patience especially for a lefty like myself. They do come with a darn heavy return spring and holding that slide partially back can take some doing.

I use a chopstick inserted into the breach to hold the slide open the right distance when I am taking my CM9 down II'm a lefty, too).

John43
02-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Don't they make a tool to put in it to hold it open in the right place?

JFootin
02-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Don't they make a tool to put in it to hold it open in the right place?

Yes. It's called a chopstick. :D

Kahrson
02-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Yes. It's called a chopstick. :D

I guess Kahr does make a tool. http://www.kahr.com/Case-and-Tools/Kahr-Take-Down-Block-Only-K-Series-and-E9.asp

I have looked around to try to find something that would fit and hold it open at the right place. Might have to try your chop stick trick if I can find one lying around. Otherwise I will order Kahr's little gadget for 5 bucks next time I purchase something from them.

JFootin
02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
I guess Kahr does make a tool. http://www.kahr.com/Case-and-Tools/Kahr-Take-Down-Block-Only-K-Series-and-E9.asp

I have looked around to try to find something that would fit and hold it open at the right place. Might have to try your chop stick trick if I can find one lying around. Otherwise I will order Kahr's little gadget for 5 bucks next time I purchase something from them.

Yeah. That's made for the K9. It won't work for the PM/CM range, I don't think. (The slide doesn't have to go back as far.)

Ninjatarian
02-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Sounds like you already want it but need extra convincing because it costs more. Well, being the model you want is enough reason to pay more, isn't it?

My K9 fit my hand like a glove and made a good range gun as well as carry gun. It just had a higher end look and feel that my polymer Kahrs lacked. I got mine pretty cheap as well, about as cheap as any of the polymer ones.

ripley16
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM

I use a small piece of wood dowel, whittled down to the proper size. It was easy, cheap and it works like a charm.

jdr3366
02-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks everybody.

Ninjatarian, you are correct. I have a CZ 75B 9mm that I carry during the winter. It's too big for summer or taking my wife out on Friday night when I get dressed up.

But cost is also an issue. So is recoil. I'm spoiled with my CZ, as there is only minor recoil compared to an LCP, for example.

You folks are convincing me to do what I really want to do. Now just have to get the right price.