PDA

View Full Version : Bawanna Gripped 1911

muggsy
02-04-2012, 08:23 AM
These are the Navy fouled anchor rosewood grips that Bawanna made for my Colt Gold Cup. I thought that I'd post them so that you too, could drool. My pictures don't do them justice. I sold my father stock maker's tools to Bawanna and as you can see he's putting them to good use. He made an old man very happy.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6817099543_957a56714a.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6817096947_352c564f53.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6817094897_d42ae68c0a.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7144/6817092515_2edfc07760.jpg

Popeye
02-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Nice work Bawanna. Being an old US Navy Boatswainsmate myself (66 to 69). I can really appreciate what you did there.

JFootin
02-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Beautiful!

Bawanna
02-04-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm of course a little biased but those look great on your gun. Can't help but notice the screws even line up on both side perfectly.

Thanks much for posting those. Lets everybody know I'm not out in the streets causing trouble ya know.

Tinman507
02-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Gawd, they're gorgeous!
I am soooo jealous.

wyntrout
02-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Nice! But I can't tell the difference in a fouled anchor... or a "fowled" one. Shouldn't there be an eagle or something like that with the latter?

Just wanted to yank someone else's chain.

Wynn:D

melissa5
02-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Awesome job, Bawanna!

MW surveyor
02-04-2012, 10:48 AM
I just wish that I could apply myself like Bawanna. So much to do around here that I don't know where to start.

Bawanna
02-04-2012, 10:51 AM
I just wish that I could apply myself like Bawanna. So much to do around here that I don't know where to start.

That's exactly where I live most of the time. Don't know where to start. Lots of plans, lots of projects, lots of would like to but where to start.

muggsy
02-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Nice! But I can't tell the difference in a fouled anchor... or a "fowled" one. Shouldn't there be an eagle or something like that with the latter?

Just wanted to yank someone else's chain.

Wynn:D

Proof once again that I should proof read. Correction made. Chain sufficiently yanked. :)

les strat
02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Wow. Bawana, I don't know what to say! Those are as good as it gets. Great job! Muggsy, I'd say that your father's tools are in good hands!

yqtszhj
02-04-2012, 06:38 PM
those look really good

wyntrout
02-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Back in '98 I ordered my first boat. I started classes with the U.S. Power Squadron... their long safety course. I was a navigator and radar navigator(B-52 Bombardier) in the Air Force, so I had plenty of navigation training, just not on the water. I know water is different and wanted to learn how to handle my boat. The one I ordered was 21'4" long... a walk-around cabin Aquasport. I spent about $4K outfitting it, including almost $2K(on sale!) on a large mapping GPS, electronic compass, VHF radio, large fenders and line, depth meter, and Floscan gas flow and quantity used meter. I like gadgets! :) And I'm used to all kinds of instruments.

I took every class the USPS offered but the last two which really got into celestial navigation. I had enough of that, so I got all the way through Advanced piloting... way more stuff than I would ever use. Anyhow, that's where I learned about the fouled anchor and other nautical terms. I tried to treat my boat as I would an airplane, buying and consulting charts to back up the GPS Charts on Chips... which proved to be pretty inaccurate at times. I never ran aground, but only because my instruments saved me a few times. I once ran out to sea using the GPS in heavy fog that never quite dissipated with hourly weather reports saying it would. I was returning from trying to fish by the jetties and using the GPS with almost zero visibility, when there was this deedle-deedle sound. I had the depth meter set at 6 feet and we were about to run aground on Huguenot Beach which spread away from the end of the inner jetty on the north side.:eek: I made a hard left(turn to port) and started paying more attention to what I couldn't see. The GPS isn't radar!

I return the thread to you guys... something gripping??

Wynn:)

muggsy
02-05-2012, 07:50 AM
That was a very gripping story, Wyntrout. As an old Navy man I can appreciate it. I've been in a fog for most of my life. :)

jdlott74
02-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Great job Bawanna...

muggsy
02-06-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm of course a little biased but those look great on your gun. Can't help but notice the screws even line up on both side perfectly.

Thanks much for posting those. Lets everybody know I'm not out in the streets causing trouble ya know.

I made those screw slots line up perfectly. My dad would have insisted on it.

AJBert
03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread but I love those grips! This coming from a Chief who crossed over to the dark side (LDO).

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
I made those screw slots line up perfectly. My dad would have insisted on it.

I have an officer here who is Navy reserve now but I recently found out he was a Master Chief also. I'm waiting for some pins to build him a set. I do hate to copy and of course they won't be an exact match, I can't do anything exactly the same twice. He officially retires I think he said in June.

I saw him in his Navy uniform and he looked like an Admiral so I asked what he was. He has the original collar pins they gave him with his promotion and was gonna use those but I told him better to save those and use new since they may wear on a gun grip and the original can't be replaced.

So far I'm up to 2 Chiefs, 1 Seal, and one Marine. I do like making this stuff for military guys. I should have been there with ya but they wouldn't take me.

Probably too crazy I guess.

jocko
03-28-2012, 06:07 PM
what is the unifrom of the super moderator??/ Just askin. We need to be able to identify u from far off

Tinman507
03-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Polish General or Italian Movie Usher not sure which

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2494/3865735129_7ae9e47e3a_z.jpg

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Polish General or Italian Movie Usher not sure which

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2494/3865735129_7ae9e47e3a_z.jpg

That's it precisely right there. I'm still waiting for my sword, the super moderator store was out of stock. So far I've been substituting my swagger stick in it's place.

I anticipate it will be quite warm come summer and have request mein fearless leader for hot weather options. Perhaps a thong and a wife beater shirt?

With shoulder boards and braids of course.

AJBert
03-28-2012, 07:03 PM
I passed my first set of anchors on to the first sailor I had that made Chief, the exact same way I received them. No telling where they are now but hopefully will be pinned on a new Chief this Sept!

I may have to have you come up with a set for my 1911 Springer Mil-Spec here sometime in the future. You sure do some purty work!

PS: I did make MC but that was concurrent with making rank on the officer side of things, so I don't really claim it. Though, it is in my service record.

Bawanna
03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
I passed my first set of anchors on to the first sailor I had that made Chief, the exact same way I received them. No telling where they are now but hopefully will be pinned on a new Chief this Sept!

I may have to have you come up with a set for my 1911 Springer Mil-Spec here sometime in the future. You sure do some purty work!

Be happy to make up a set for you.