PDA

View Full Version : Legal question about gun sale

jimbar
02-05-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm thinking of putting my CW9 up for sale on Kahrtalk forum. I've never sold a firearm on a forum, and I'm wondering how it is done. When the deal is done, how do we go about actually shipping the gun? Do I have to have my local gun shop, or someone with a FFL do it. Do they handle packaging and everything?

TriggerMan
02-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking of putting my CW9 up for sale on Kahrtalk forum. I've never sold a firearm on a forum, and I'm wondering how it is done. When the deal is done, how do we go about actually shipping the gun? Do I have to have my local gun shop, or someone with a FFL do it. Do they handle packaging and everything?By listing on a forum, you have a high probability of getting a buyer from another State. You will need to go through an FFL. They can ship through the Post Office, whereas you cannot. They usually do the packaging for you and you will pay for shipping, insurance and his transfer fee. The buyer pays a transfer fee to an FFL on his end. FFL fees run from $20 to $75. Most are $20-30. Ask. Price your gun accordingly or stipulate that the buyer pays your reasonable fees.

Selling face to face is also possible. Google to find the rules in your State.

jimbar
02-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the info, TriggerMan. That's just what I needed to know.

ripley16
02-06-2012, 06:08 AM
However...
You do not have to ship through a FFL. You can ship the CW9 yourself to the buyer's FFL. Some FFLs will not do a transfer from a non-FFL, so the buyer needs to know ahead of time if his FFL will do a transfer from a owner.

As Triggerman pointed out, it my be cheaper to ship through a FFL provided they charge a small fee and agree to ship the gun for a lesser fee than you would pay using a common carrier. FFLs can us the USPS, and the cost for mailing a gun is only about $10 as opposed to the $50, or more, using a common carrier.

Do your homework prior to listing the gun for sale. Know what the gun would cost both shipping yourself or through a FFL and include that cost in the ad. Buyers expect to pay shipping. Good luck with the sale.

JFootin
02-06-2012, 07:56 AM
If you are going to ship it yourself, use FedEd, not UPS, because they no longer insist on holding you up on overnight air method of shipment.

Me, I use my FFL because he can ship a handgun insured with tracking for about $17 and just charges me $10 for the trouble.

steve666
02-06-2012, 10:55 AM
And if you are very lucky, someone local will contact you and you can do a face to face transaction.