PDA

View Full Version : New pm9 owner

blkpm9
02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
New guy here from Northwest, ordered black pm9 with night sights, should be in Friday, spendy little bugger, I know you get what you pay for.I was Looking for an semi auto alternative to my J frame 360 for pocket/deep conceal, I believe I found an excellent weapon in the pm9. I am a big S&W nut, in particular M&P, have 4 all with apex fss kits and night sights. Please go easy on me! I am very impressed with what I have read and learned about Kahr products, can not wait to take it to the range.
Oops! wrong sub forum, like I said, new guy.............:o

JFootin
02-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Welcome to the forum! What we have here is a great bunch of gun lovers who own and talk about all kinds of guns. We don't bash people for having guns other than Kahrs. We even have a few who currently don't own a Kahr but hang around because of the friendly atmosphere.

These Kahrs are like high end sports cars. They are designed to be so thin and tiny that tolerances are very tight. That is why Kahr recommends a 200 round breakin using good USA made FMJ ammo. Some guns might need a couple of hundred more. Some not. But all of them start acting like a different gun after a few hundred rounds, getting so incredibly smooth, and getting to where they can eat any good quality ammo. There might be a couple of FTFs, or FTEs, or FTRBs, or failure to lock back after last rounds early on. But those anomalies disappear as the round count progresses. Now, you might not have even one of these issues at all, like a lot of folks. Just don't let it bother you if you see a couple of things during breakin. There are lots of knowledgeable folk here ready to help with any issues. And if there is any real problem with the gun, Kahr CS will make it right.

You also have to get used to shooting with that lo-o-ong trigger pull, and your accuracy will improve over time. The key is not trying to stage or anticipate when it will fire, but just practice a smooth continuous stroke from the start right through the letoff point while keeping the gun steady. Dry fire at home, work on finger placement on the trigger and doing it without moving the gun.

The slide is very hard to wrack, and it will never be easy. The stiff recoil spring is part of what makes such a small gun work. That is why Kahr advise to load the first round by letting off the slide stop. You can learn to hand wrack it, especially after the recoil spring takes a set. But there is only about 1/8" of overtravel, so any failure to get it all the way back will cause a misfeed. The correct way to do it is to pull (or push) the slide very hard until it reaches the end of travel and your hand slips off the back. Don't try to keep your hand on the slide by stopping your stroke, and don't try to ride the slide on its return. For dry firing, you can recock the striker by racking about 1/2" until you hear and feel a click.

There are some stickies in the Kahr-Tech section that are highly recommended to start your gun off right:

Proper prep of a new kahr (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521)
Kahr Lube Diagram (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=308) (diagram in post 7)

Don't get freaked if you see a couple of problems posted here. It is a brand specific forum and so you are going to see posts about problems. For every one of those, there are dozens of happy owners of trouble free guns who never bother to join the forum or post. Overall, though, we see mostly very positive reports about PM9s. It is a bellweather product for Kahr. And its newer, less expensive sibling, the CM9, is really shining, too, having benefited from several years of refinement of the PM9. You will be surprised at the low recoil in such a small, light gun, and how much fun it is to shoot. Not a better thin compact carry 9 out there, IMO. And the smoothest long double action trigger, bar none.

As a local sage and character named Jocko would say, "Go shoot it like you stole it!" :)

jocko
02-08-2012, 04:26 AM
welcome and what JFottin said is good advice.Ithink the PM9 and the dlc finish is thebest of the best, bar none. do readthetwo sticky's though, they will help u alot.

Thunder71
02-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Congrats on a great gun!

blkpm9
02-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info. I am sure I will not be sorry with my purchase. As far as issues related to Kahr brand, every maker has some issues, the key is if the company responds and corrects the issue to the customer's satisfaction, I am confident Kahr stands behind their product. Will let you know how the first trip to the range goes.

Big_John_1961
02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Congrats on the PM9, it's a fine pistol. I've had mine about 6 months or so and love it. 400 rounds downrange with no hiccups of any kind. The pistol shoots beautifully, is accurate and a lot of fun at the range. I think you'll love too.

rogerthedodger
02-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Yep, you just pruchased the best of the Kahrs. Congrats to you and welcome. My PM9 has 250 + rounds, no hiccups. I will soon be adding it to my carry rotation.
Roger

CJB
02-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Welcome!

Hognutz
02-09-2012, 02:29 PM
That's the same gun that I have. You will like it. Guaranteed!! They are a joy to carry, and fun to shoot..

paperpuncher
02-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the forum! What we have here is a great bunch of gun lovers who own and talk about all kinds of guns. We don't bash people for having guns other than Kahrs. We even have a few who currently don't own a Kahr but hang around because of the friendly atmosphere.

These Kahrs are like high end sports cars. They are designed to be so thin and tiny that tolerances are very tight. That is why Kahr recommends a 200 round breakin using good USA made FMJ ammo. Some guns might need a couple of hundred more. Some not. But all of them start acting like a different gun after a few hundred rounds, getting so incredibly smooth, and getting to where they can eat any good quality ammo. There might be a couple of FTFs, or FTEs, or FTRBs, or failure to lock back after last rounds early on. But those anomalies disappear as the round count progresses. Now, you might not have even one of these issues at all, like a lot of folks. Just don't let it bother you if you see a couple of things during breakin. There are lots of knowledgeable folk here ready to help with any issues. And if there is any real problem with the gun, Kahr CS will make it right.

You also have to get used to shooting with that lo-o-ong trigger pull, and your accuracy will improve over time. The key is not trying to stage or anticipate when it will fire, but just practice a smooth continuous stroke from the start right through the letoff point while keeping the gun steady. Dry fire at home, work on finger placement on the trigger and doing it without moving the gun.

The slide is very hard to wrack, and it will never be easy. The stiff recoil spring is part of what makes such a small gun work. That is why Kahr advise to load the first round by letting off the slide stop. You can learn to hand wrack it, especially after the recoil spring takes a set. But there is only about 1/8" of overtravel, so any failure to get it all the way back will cause a misfeed. The correct way to do it is to pull (or push) the slide very hard until it reaches the end of travel and your hand slips off the back. Don't try to keep your hand on the slide by stopping your stroke, and don't try to ride the slide on its return. For dry firing, you can recock the striker by racking about 1/2" until you hear and feel a click.

There are some stickies in the Kahr-Tech section that are highly recommended to start your gun off right:

Proper prep of a new kahr (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521)
Kahr Lube Diagram (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=308) (diagram in post 7)

Don't get freaked if you see a couple of problems posted here. It is a brand specific forum and so you are going to see posts about problems. For every one of those, there are dozens of happy owners of trouble free guns who never bother to join the forum or post. Overall, though, we see mostly very positive reports about PM9s. It is a bellweather product for Kahr. And its newer, less expensive sibling, the CM9, is really shining, too, having benefited from several years of refinement of the PM9. You will be surprised at the low recoil in such a small, light gun, and how much fun it is to shoot. Not a better thin compact carry 9 out there, IMO. And the smoothest long double action trigger, bar none.

As a local sage and character named Jocko would say, "Go shoot it like you stole it!" :)

Well said. I just bought a CM9 and will shoot it Tuesday. I'm not a gun rookie so a couple of things troubled me but in reading these threads I'm feeling more confident.

The polymer bits was one thing, but that recoil spring is really something. Toughest spring I've ever encountered.

And I can see where there's gripes regarding the magazines.