PDA

View Full Version : A Must-Have *Thing*

500KV
09-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I wish I could take credit for this piece of brilliance but I picked it up from another forum.

It makes disassembly of the slide, to get at the striker/extractor, etc. sooo.. much easier.

Take a piece of stiff wire (I used a piece of stiff coat-hanger) about 4" long and bend a 90 in each end ~ 1" long leaving the long piece ~2".
You can then depress the striker spring and capture it with this rig allowing both hands free to remove parts etc. One end goes over the breech face.

I'm sure some of you have already discovered this thing but for those who haven't, it's a must-have.

Gottabkiddin
09-09-2009, 12:50 PM
That does sound pretty cool. I've been meaning to clean the striker channel on my CW9. I've heard some folks on other forms say how theirs was filled with junk and really needed the clean up. In some cases it was causing lite strikes on the primers. Thanks for the info.

kahrcrazy
09-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Good call on that. I've always used the two hand approach, with the face of the slide on a tabletop take a pick and depress the striker spring, then a second pick to depress that back extractor pin. Move the back plate just a little and you can let off the tension of both and move it out the rest of the way at your leusire. Just another way to do it, Im going to have to try the coat hanger method as well.

500KV
09-09-2009, 04:07 PM
It really helped me cause in my clumsiness I'd have springs and plungers flying all over the room. Then have to get down on hands and knees with a flashlight and, if I'm lucky, round up all the pieces.
I started taking them apart in a plastic bag for awhile till I found this *thing*.
It was a godsend for me.

Gottabkiddin
09-10-2009, 08:52 AM
LOL, I did that. The day I brought mine home, I took the mag apart and didn't take the time I should have and the next thing I knew, BING! :eek: there went the little spacer in the bottom of the mag between the foot plate and the spring. Took me 30 minutes to locate it. I'll never do that again.