PDA

View Full Version : Checkered Grips for MK40 Do Not Fit!

lkgmadmax
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM
As anyone ordered wooden grips for an MK40 recently and had a fit issue?
I have an MK40 with a Serial# HAXXXX. These grips do not meet on the back strap of the grip. The standard screws are too short as well to work with thes if they were to fit.

:32:

Called Kahr, no answer on any lines, they must all be out shopping for their wives for Valentine's Day :)

JFootin
02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Send them an email. It works better than trying to get through by phone.

There have been a few reports of wood grips from Kahr not fitting on the K and MK models. Plus, it seems like they would send the correct length screws with them. But they don't.

lkgmadmax
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Send them an email. It works better than trying to get through by phone.

There have been a few reports of wood grips from Kahr not fitting on the K and MK models. Plus, it seems like they would send the correct length screws with them. But they don't.

JFootin thanks, I will try email and see how that works. I will reserve further comments pending how they handle this situation.

QuercusMax
02-13-2012, 04:20 PM
The checkered wood grips I ordered from Kahr didn't fit my MK9 Elite, but 20 seconds with the Dremel and they fit nicely.

Here was my specific problem:

http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=109648&postcount=11

I didn't take any "afterwards" pictures but I'm sure you can see the issue and the easy solution - if you have the same problem that I did.

hollander
02-13-2012, 05:07 PM
I emailed them and they sent the correct length. I also had to get out the Dremel to get the job done and then they fit well.

MLESa7990
02-13-2012, 05:17 PM
I've read more than once about people taking a dremel to the backside and it makes them fit better.

Kahr does state that "some fitting may be required" in the description of the grips.

I'm pretty sure u should have gotten K grip screws though, so that was probably just a mis-pack by their shipping dept

Thunder71
02-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Had to Dremel mine as well, and thought the screws were missing - but they were in another plastic bag in the envelope it all came in stapled to the receipt.

Cyterio
02-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Same with my MK9 Elite. Dremel around the inside of the grip above the bottom screw. This will allow the grip to sit properly on the frame and the screws should fit then. To fix the gap in the rear file down the "L" part of the grip that runs along the backstrap of the frame, that will make it fit tighter. Locktite those screws, mine like to walk out after a range trip.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

lkgmadmax
02-14-2012, 05:23 AM
Guys thanks for the tips, and the pics were worth a thousand words. I have a Dremel
Tool so I will take a crack at trimming them out a bit.

Hopefully I will be able to resolve the screw concern, I read some where that screws from a compact 1911 would work so I may try that if Kahr does not come through as there were none in my bag.

I guess I'm a little disappointed that American quality is what it is today, no wonder there has been so much out sourcing. Kahr should have rejected the whole lot of grips back to the vendor that made then when the fit quality issue was identified. The vendor should have been held accountable for making the grips right. I ordered a set of custom wood grips for a pistol a few weeks ago from a web site (unknown to me was located in Hungary) the price was equal to the price of the Kahr grips the only difference was they fit as they should have. I don’t think we would have seen this type of issue with Smith & Wesson or Springfield Arms, customer service would have been more responsive as well had they been needed.

lkgmadmax
02-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Follow up: I received an email this morning from Kahr CS recommending the Dremel treatment, they also mentioned that the longer "K" model grip screws should have been included with the grips, so they will get those out to me this afternoon.

I will post the conclusion of this once i receive the screws and get the grips installed. Thanks again guys for the suggestions!

lkgmadmax
02-16-2012, 03:14 AM
Can someone post a picture of the Dremel bit you used?

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk

Bawanna
02-16-2012, 09:27 AM
I'd use an 1/8" router bit in the dremel but I have a drill press stand. If you don't I don't think it would work. I'd most likely take a good knife to the outline where you want to cut to and maybe a chisel. Really not alot of material to remove.
There's an 1/8" bit kind of like a router bit but without the cutters on the tip that might work good.
Maybe even the smaller size sanding disc would work for most of it.

lkgmadmax
02-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I'd use an 1/8" router bit in the dremel but I have a drill press stand. If you don't I don't think it would work. I'd most likely take a good knife to the outline where you want to cut to and maybe a chisel. Really not alot of material to remove.
There's an 1/8" bit kind of like a router bit but without the cutters on the tip that might work good.
Maybe even the smaller size sanding disc would work for most of it.

Bawanna thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot this weekend when I get to my weekend place where all tools are.

lkgmadmax
02-23-2012, 06:57 AM
Well guys, I took the Dremel to the grips this past weekend and get them to fit. I installed the screws Kahr sent me on one side, proceeded to the other side and installed the bottom screw with no problem, the top screw was a different story. The top hole did not line up. I finally gave up, 58.00 + shipping thrown away.

I contacted another 3rd party grip maker, had a long discussion with him regarding the possibility of having him make me some. He stated Kahr firearms made good guns but custom grips were very difficult based on the way Kahr designs and builds their frames, not a consistent process based on what he said. He also said that Hogue was no longer making grips for the Kahr line due to the issue that has been encountered. That explains why no other grip companies offer wood grip options for the Kahr line.

I decided since this will be a defense piece and not a show piece I’ve ordered the CT LG461 laser grips, let’s hope they fit!!!

MLESa7990
02-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Well guys, I took the Dremel to the grips this past weekend and get them to fit. I installed the screws Kahr sent me on one side, proceeded to the other side and installed the bottom screw with no problem, the top screw was a different story. The top hole did not line up. I finally gave up, 58.00 + shipping thrown away.

I contacted another 3rd party grip maker, had a long discussion with him regarding the possibility of having him make me some. He stated Kahr firearms made good guns but custom grips were very difficult based on the way Kahr designs and builds their frames, not a consistent process based on what he said. He also said that Hogue was no longer making grips for the Kahr line due to the issue that has been encountered. That explains why no other grip companies offer wood grip options for the Kahr line.

I decided since this will be a defense piece and not a show piece I’ve ordered the CT LG461 laser grips, let’s hope they fit!!!

That's interesting. Why wouldn't all MK frames be made the same?

lkgmadmax
02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
The guy I spoke with at the3rd party grip company referred to a type of casting process that Kahr uses. He also mentioned how constant the CNC machine is being exact and computerized. Too much variance with the casted frames.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk

kerby9mm
02-23-2012, 09:04 PM
I am easily confused and this is one of those times. If what you were told is correct how is it that the black plastic grips that come on the guns fit so perfectly. I doubt that each plastic grip is hand fitted to each gun. As far as the wood ones you bought I think you are entitled to a refund. When that kind of scenario happens to me I feel ripped off and angry.

Bawanna
02-23-2012, 09:37 PM

How far off is that top hole, just a tad or considerable. That's one reason I haven't been making MK and K grips. I've made them and sent them and they don't fit. In the MK I'm told there were only 2 series, the GA like I have and the GC which is the current but there apparently are production variations. Been trying to figure it out for a long time. I've even considered getting an FFL so guns can get sent to me, I'll fit grips and send em back. So far the headache isn't worth it. Wish I had a good solution.
They are a challenge to make with all the inside angles to fit and match up.

GOOFA
02-24-2012, 10:25 PM
A little under 2 years ago, I alerted upper management at Kahr to this problem with the grips and the fix. They were going to notify Hogue the mfr of the grips to correct. It seems like a relatively easy fix. My question is why hasn't anyone at Kahr pursued this, isn't 22 months long enough? This is the kind of BS that gives me a bad taste.

Newuser
10-31-2012, 10:33 AM
30 months isn't long enough either.

Just got a set of wood grips for the MK9 Elite and had to shave off some wood above that little metal tab at the base of the handle where the magazine goes in.

I did a poor job and had to fiddle a bit with a screw inset as well.

But ultimately it worked fine and I have nice grips.

Why the wood grips aren't made to fit properly, I don't know. If you look at the cutout, it looks like these were manufactured for a different but very similar gun (the tab shape and size is off).

Whatever. The end result is fine. Same issue with the stainless steel guide rods you can buy...they're a little too long. Odd. Got one of those and it works great...just sticks out a tiny bit.

My guess is that Kahr COULD fix these issues but it's not cost effective. Most people are buying CW9s these days...not steel guns. So they're just not going to deal with it.

OK by me. I love the MK9. I have a PM9 which is great, but I got the MK9 too because it's so purty.

Ikeo74
10-31-2012, 11:01 AM
My wood grips required the same fix as yours. After removing the 1/16" x 3/8" of wood I had a perfect fit.

I have to compliment Kahr on the quality of thes grips, it is outstanding and makes my gun look like a million bucks. I do think the grips are outsourced overseas because the quality of checkering and beautiful grain in the wood that is not available here in the United States. Just that 1/16 x 3/8 extra inleting would make these grips absolutely perfect. See my pictures posted on "Before and after Wood" They are a great value @ $58.

kahrsport
10-31-2012, 11:29 AM
yep, them kahr wood grips are nice indeed...