PDA

View Full Version : clean before first use

jkalantzis
02-03-2010, 10:36 AM
I was planning on going to the range after work today. I have a NIB pm9. I was wondering if it would be ok to go ahead and put 100 rounds through her without a cleaning. Only due to the fact I wanted to head over to the range strait from the office. Anyone see any harm in this?

jwr
02-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I would clean it first, but if you have some CLP or Rem Oil in your bag you can do it at the range.

Field strip is a piece of cake and with a toothbrush and rag you can pretty much get it done. To get the inside of the barrel without a brush just twist a small rag real tight, hose it down with CLP, and pull it through.

Ol'coot
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I would suggest cleaning and a quick visual inspection before taking it to the range. It is better to be sure that everything looks as it should before an live fire test. This is always just good practice IMHO

In-Yo-Grill
02-03-2010, 11:16 AM
A little cleaning will be better than none. Since the gun is new and you are in your break-in period I think it's important to be on a level playing field and not wonder if you should have done this or that first.

Check out the chart on this site and make sure you hit the rails barrel and slide well before shooting it.

Bawanna
02-03-2010, 11:24 AM
In my opinion and taking into consideration that you have a shiney new gun your just aching to shoot, I'd make positive sure the barrel is free of obstructions, run a dry patch thru to remove any extra oil, rack er a few times and in the immortal words of Jocko, shoot it like you stole it.
Be observant, anything out of the ordinary, stop check things out close. I have 3 PM9's riding in officers vest as backup guns and they were all shot right out of the box, not sure they even wiped the drool off them after I fondled them. Go ahead and run your hanky thru the bore right now, I'll be the lookout and let you know if the boss is coming..............
I agree with the previous replies if you have the patience to wait but I'm not real strong in the patience department. Let us know how she shoots.:33:

mr surveyor
02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
personally, I will never shoot a recently acquired gun without first field stripping, inspecting, cleaning and re-lubing. That goes for both NIB and used guns. First, I want to know what the internals look like before I fire the first round, so that if there are any malfunctions I will have a before and after memory of what was there. Then, there's the possibility that some machining residue could be in the striker channel (use the clean-out hole in the slide to blow high pressure solvent into the striker channel.... thanks to Jocko for that tip), or metallic filings mixed with machining oil or factory lube in the chamber/barrel. Running on a dry slide rail isn't the best way to try a newly acquired gun either.

I vote for dis-assembly, cleaning, inspection and lubing prior to the first round being fired.

surv

jeep45238
02-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Clean it. Kahr isn't as bad as other manufacturers (like Ruger) that stuffs a huge amount of grease in their guns out of the factory, but it's there.

They put that stuff in there to keep them from rusting on the shelves, as they don't know how long they'll be sitting before they're sold. It's a rust preventative that doesn't work all that well as a lube.

Give it a normal clean and lube before you shoot it - it'll only take 10 minutes max.

recoilguy
02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I am in the same boat as the other posters so far. I really like to clean my weapons and one of my favorite things is the New gun gettuing aquanted cleaning.

Get all the gunk out. I bought a gun from Argentina once I swear they tried to smuggled a gun into the country in a blob of grease. After I cleaned that one up she shot good for a long time.

It is better to take the 10 minutes and do it then to not and wish you had.

RCG

jkalantzis
02-04-2010, 06:15 AM
I took everyones advise and went through my new gun before taking it to the range. I will be bringing her there today afterwork. I'll let you guys know how it go's. Thanks for all the advise.

TxKahr
02-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Good choice. I cleaned my PM 9 before taking it to the range the first time to put 250 rds through it. I had one FTE at round 90.

I shot my Glock 26 without cleaning it the first time and was able to run 200 rds through it with no failures of any kind.

TxKahr