PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT-22 (Yellow polymer frame model) Range Report

Scoundrel
02-14-2012, 08:43 PM
My Taurus PT-22 arrived yesterday. Today I picked it up from the FFL, brought it home, cleaned out the factory goop, lubed it up, played with the magazine and BabyUpLuLa loader, and headed over to the range.

First, the overall gun. You can get assembled photos of this gun anywhere. So here is a field stripped overview, the gun stuffed into a pocket holster, and some detail on the fit/finish.

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5400&stc=1&d=1329276189
http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5401&stc=1&d=1329276195
http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5402&stc=1&d=1329276205

I knew it was a small gun, but when I picked it up I was still a bit surprised at how small and light it is.

I picked up a nice De Santis pocket holster. It's pretty standard: woven nylon inside, standard edging, and rubber textured outside to help it stay in your pocket when the gun comes out.

There are some fit/finish issues that make it look like a cheap toy. The nubbin from the casting process was not removed, and there is an obvious line where the two halves of the mold were put together, like you'd expect from a child's dart gun. Still, I can sand these down myself and polish it up if I want to. Hey, what do you expect from a $175 gun?

Moving on, I tried loading the magazine without the loader. After jamming 4 rounds in there with difficulty, I was starting to worry about denting the cases and primers exploding and stuff, because of how hard I was pressing on the rounds to try and get them in there. It was painful! So I whipped out the loader and tried it.

I had a little trouble getting the loader to do its thing. I was disfiguring the bullets and the scratch/denting the casings with the loader, and thought to myself that this just COULDN'T be right.

After struggling with it for a bit, I used the little magazine spring buttons to drag the follower down manually, and noticed that the spring seemed to be bending in ways that did not look right, and binding up. So I disassembled the magazine and examined it. I am pretty sure that the spring was in backwards (I thought that was a Kahr trick only). I lubed it and reassembled it with the spring in the way I thought it should go based on the angles of the follower and the baseplate, and it became much easier to load. Still, I intend to modify the LuLa loader a bit.

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5403&stc=1&d=1329276224

I think I need to polish the metal tongue, and remove a bit of material from the arch, so the bullet has more clearance to slide through. The bullets get hung up there and I just have to push a little harder.

Having cleaned, lubed, and inspected everything, I headed off to the range next. I brought six types of .22LR ammo with me for testing, as follows:

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5404&stc=1&d=1329276231

1. CCI Sub-Sonic Lead Hollow Point 40 Grain 1050 fps (waxed)
2. Federal Copper Plated Hollow Point 36 Grain 1260 fps (no wax)
3. CCI Blazer Lead Round Nose 40 Grain 1235 fps (waxed)
4. Aguila Sniper Subsonic 60 Grain RN 950 fps (waxed)
5. Aquila Interceptor Copper Plated 40 Grain 1470 fps (no wax)
6. CCI Mini-Mag Gilded Lead Round Nose 40 Grain 1235 fps (no wax)

I started out with ammo #1, and experienced lots of failures. Sometimes it wouldn't eject. Other times the spent casing would eject, but the slide would close on an empty chamber. Sometimes the slide would move the round forward and it would get stuck on the feed ramp. Sometimes it would almost work, but fail to return fully to battery.

I moved on to another ammo type, but came back to these later in the range session, to see if it was simply a break-in issue. But after many other rounds functioning well, I had the same results with these.
I suspect that these failures can be attributed to these things:
1. There is not as much force to operate the slide because they are sub-sonic.
2. The bullet is waxed. This makes it slightly fatter and stickier.
3. The large hole in the hollow point makes it a very square-nosed bullet.

I had great results with ammo #2. This are the Wal-Mart bulk pack stuff. They do not have any wax on them, so they're not sticky. Their noses are pretty round despite the hollow point so they feed well, and they have enough kick to operate the slide properly. Their accuracy leaves something to be desired, but in a snubby pistol, accuracy isn't all that important. I could score 9 hits on a human torso at 15 feet, with 6 of them being within a couple inches of where I wanted to hit, and that's good enough.

Ammo #3 did reasonably well, but despite being very close to what the Taurus manual calls for (the manual specifies 40 grain 1280 fps), I had a few feed failures with these. I suspect the wax, and the big fat nose on these. Seriously, look at the honker on these things!

Ammo #4 fed well, to my surprise. I did not run much of it through, but I got the feeling it was going to continue to cycle just fine. However, they key-holed terribly, which I DID expect. I ran these through just for fun, really, and did not expect good results. They exceeded my expectations, even though they are waxed. I expect that the extra energy transferred to the slide because these things are 60 grains did the trick - or, I just got lucky with eight of them, and I would have seen feed issues if I had run more of them.

Ammo #5 did fairly well, but had some feed issues as well. There's no wax on these, but they do have a squared-off nose. I did not fire these because they are a higher velocity than Taurus recommends. The few I did fire did not inspire me to push my luck.

...and this brings us to Ammo #6. The CCI Mini-Mag is, in my opinion, THE ammo of choice for this gun. Even though the fps rating on them is further from the Taurus spec, I think the weight and the round nose makes up for this. Also, there is no wax, but the bullets seem to be seated in there pretty well. Whatever the reason, these bullets cycled the gun more reliably, made a more satisfying bang, and hit the target closer to POA better than any of the others I tried.

I will admit to being mildly disappointed about which ammo works well in it, because until tonight, ammo #1 (the CCI sub-sonic) has been my favorite choice for every .22 I owned (well, for every .22 that I intended up put a lot of ammo through, anyway - I like the Stingers best for the NAA mini-revolver). Speaking of the Stingers, I did NOT fire any of those through the PT-22. The manual specifically forbids hyper-velocity ammo, and they went as far as putting an extra sticker on the inside of the case about this, to hit the people who don't read the manual. I like my shooting hand the way it is, thanks.

I forgot to bring one specific ammo type with me. It's very similar to the Federal bulk packs from Wal-Mart, except that it's the "Champion" version, which means it has a wax coating on it. I'm hoping it feeds just as well as the non-waxed version, because I already have about 3300 rounds of it.

I did find it somewhat disconcerting that the slide does not lock back on an empty magazine. The manual does not mention this, but there is no slide lock so I don't see how it could lock back.

Also, there is no extractor. There is an ejector, but it relies on the casing traveling backward with the slide in order to impact against the ejector and get expelled out of the way. I had a few failures caused by empty casings remaining fully seated in the chamber (they may have come partway out and then gotten slammed back in my the slide). Again, this was caused by ammunition choice, and the good stuff did not do this.

One needs to be aware of the PT-22's limitations and work within them. For example, I suspect that if I had only run CCI Mini-Mags and Federal rounds through it, the PT-22 would have functioned flawlessly.

It was a hoot to shoot! It was light, small, comfortable in my hand, and didn't do any unpleasant things that other small .22 guns I have fired were prone to do - like for example, .22 revolvers have a tendency for the cylinder to jam up, and to spray burning debris and lead shavings everywhere. The PT-22 does not.

Also, this gun was cleaner than any other .22 I have fired to this day after about 300 rounds through it. Kinda takes away from the joy of lovingly caressing your weapon with CLP and a snot-rag after a day at the range.

Overall, my opinion on the Taurus PT-22 can be summed up in the immortal words of Jeff Quinn: It's a good little gun. I recommend it.

WARNING: I am having some difficulty chasing down extra magazines for it. There appear to be two variants: The Taurus originals, and a ProMag version. Nobody seems to have either one in stock.

Taurus was closed when I called. I will hit them up again tomorrow.

The ProMag website lists the PT-22 magazine as "Discontinued item limited stock". Nobody answered the phone when I called them to find out if they have any at all, but it WAS close to quitting time. I placed an order for two of them from their website, and half-expect to receive an e-mail in a day or so saying, "Sorry, but we're scum sucking bottom feeders who list items on our website for sale even though we have none in stock because we think it makes us look good to have this many items on our site, and/or we're too lazy to remove the item just in case we might one day decide to grace the world with more of them."

LaP
02-14-2012, 08:51 PM
The ProMag website lists the PT-22 magazine as "Discontinued item limited stock". Nobody answered the phone when I called them to find out if they have any at all, but it WAS close to quitting time. I placed an order for two of them from their website, and half-expect to receive an e-mail in a day or so saying, "Sorry, but we're scum sucking bottom feeders who list items on our website for sale even though we have none in stock because we think it makes us look good to have this many items on our site, and/or we're too lazy to remove the item just in case we might one day decide to grace the world with more of them."

That would be a refreshing admission. Too bad it won't ever happen.
Good luck. Hope you get the cap gun working.:o

Scoundrel
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM
It works, as long as you feed it the right ammo.

Come on now, calling it a cap gun is disrespectful... ...to cap guns.

Seriously though, I know it's not going to penetrate 15 inches of ballistic gel, or leave a massive wound channel and gaping exit wound, or blow someone's head clean off - but cap gun? We don't need to have the age old argument about the effectiveness of a .22 round or how many people were killed with them in Chicago during the Italian mafia heyday. I bought it to shoot for fun, but it's still a serious weapon.

TriggerMan
02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Would you agree it is FUN to shoot?

All I would add is

I am at 185 rounds and all were flawless

The gun breaks down very easily for cleaning and has been very clean with CCI Mini Mags

Scoundrel
02-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Oh, yes, it was very fun to shoot.

I expect that if I had started with the Mini-Mags and Federals, mine would have been failure-free as well. Next range trip, I suspect it will be.

And it was very clean when I stripped it. It was cleaner than any other .22 I own has ever been after putting about 300 or so rounds through it.

Maybe I'll update the range report with that info.

JFootin
02-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Those finish problems wouldn't be noticeable on a black gun.

"I did find it somewhat disconcerting that the slide does not lock back on an empty magazine. The manual does not mention this, but there is no slide lock so I don't see how it could lock back."

You have the tip up barrel to load a round in the chamber. So, the slide lock was considered unnecessary. That is also the case with the little Berettas that it copies.

Scoundrel
02-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Funny, they say "do not dry fire" - but unless you're counting shots...

JFootin
02-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Funny, they say "do not dry fire" - but unless you're counting shots...

Firing pin must be vulnerable to damage from dry firing.

TriggerMan
02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Firing pin must be vulnerable to damage from dry firing.Good point. Thanks for the reminder

I fired some snap caps and the pin just tore up the caps. Might start loading one snap cap as the 9th round

Scoundrel
02-14-2012, 09:48 PM
For .22 snap caps, I recommend nylon wall anchors. I'm talking about those little deals that you poke into holes in drywall, then put a screw into. Keeps the screw from ripping right out of the drywall.

The correct size is #2, the box is also labeled with "4-6-8 x 7/8". You get 100 in a box for $4.59 (YMMV) at your local hardware store and they are excellent for dry firing. You can't really load them in a magazine, but you can put one in the chamber (or all of the cylinders of a revolver) and fire away.

Then pull them out, rotate them 90 degrees, and use them again. I can get about 4 or 5 hits on one before I put it in a separate box to be used in drywall.

Edit: I just put a few in a magazine. I was able to chamber one via the slide. Of course it did not extract when I tried to get #2 in there. I suspect that as the bottom round in the magazine, it would get crushed though, and not feed.

Cokeman
02-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Oh, yes, it was very fun to shoot.

I expect that if I had started with the Mini-Mags and Federals, mine would have been failure-free as well. Next range trip, I suspect it will be.

And it was very clean when I stripped it. It was cleaner than any other .22 I own has ever been after putting about 300 or so rounds through it.

Maybe I'll update the range report with that info.

Try the Remington Golden Bullets.

jeepster09
02-15-2012, 06:45 AM
The PT22's have a reputation as a poor performer, hopefully yours will be the exception. I saw one last week at my local gs in safety orange. :puke: Makes it look like a toy, I would think it would make bad guy laugh and not defuse any threat if used for self defense.....:eek:

JFootin
02-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Good point. Thanks for the reminder

I fired some snap caps and the pin just tore up the caps. Might start loading one snap cap as the 9th round

Good idea.

Scoundrel
02-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I saw one last week at my local gs in safety orange. :puke: Makes it look like a toy, I would think it would make bad guy laugh and not defuse any threat if used for self defense.....:eek:

Yeah, I carry a Smith & Wesson 500 for self defense. It's not that heavy, and I have no problem concealing it. I don't know why other people have issues with that.

Though, I DO wish I had something to fire it with.

TriggerMan
02-15-2012, 12:26 PM
The PT22's have a reputation as a poor performer, hopefully yours will be the exception. I saw one last week at my local gs in safety orange. :puke: Makes it look like a toy, I would think it would make bad guy laugh and not defuse any threat if used for self defense.....:eek:The PT22s are not identical to the redesigned 22PLY. The most obvious differences are the length of the barrel and the weight.

I suggest if it's used on a BG, you pull the trigger before he starts laughing.

Scoundrel
02-15-2012, 12:31 PM
The PT22s are not identical to the redesigned 22PLY. The most obvious differences are the length of the barrel and the weight.

I suggest if it's used on a BG, you pull the trigger before he starts laughing.

Before he starts laughing, after he starts laughing, not sure it makes much difference. Although if we really want to examine it, laughing provides the brain with more oxygen, and that could put the BG in a heightened state of readiness, so I guess after all it would be better to shoot before he starts laughing.

I guarantee he'll stop laughing once you start shooting, either way. Especially if you put one up his left nostril.

Tank
02-15-2012, 07:00 PM
The PT22's have a reputation as a poor performer, hopefully yours will be the exception. I saw one last week at my local gs in safety orange. :puke: Makes it look like a toy, I would think it would make bad guy laugh and not defuse any threat if used for self defense.....:eek:

When I was a kid toy guns looked pretty real. Well, after a very few accidents where cops shot kids with toy guns they started putting orange on guns to prevent this. Makes me wonder what they are going to do now that real guns come in safty orange?

Scoundrel
02-15-2012, 07:05 PM
When I was a kid toy guns looked pretty real. Well, after a very few accidents where cops shot kids with toy guns they started putting orange on guns to prevent this. Makes me wonder what they are going to do now that real guns come in safty orange?

Making them have bright orange on them does seem rather silly, since it's such a big deal about air-soft and that bright orange tip.

But on the other hand, two things:
1. The barrel is still black or stainless on the 22PLY models I have seen, and
2. A can or bright orange spray paint and a bit of tape is only $4 or so. I wonder how many criminals have painted their barrel tips orange to make the cops hesitate?

The bright yellow thing is a neat novelty, but I suspect when that wears off I will wish I'd paid more for a black one.

Tank
02-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Honestly, I don't think the orange would have lasted long on a toy gun with me or any of the other gun slingers I ran around with in grade school.

I didn't mean for you to have to justify your gun to me. It was not my intention to question your choice of color for a gun. I was just wondering if it convelutes identification for a LEO. Not being a cop I wouldn't know how much stake they put in the orange since, like you said, it can be changed easily.

Enjoy your new gun!

muggsy
02-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Firing pin must be vulnerable to damage from dry firing.

Not only that but the firing pin can dent the barrel causing failures to fire. Remember, it's a rim-fire not a center fire.

Scoundrel
02-17-2012, 08:06 PM
The range was busy this afternoon. I guess one of the nearby ranges was closed due to the visit from the prez just a couple miles away at Boeing, so a bunch of people went up to Arlington to shoot.

Anyway, I only brought the Mini-Mags and the Federal Champion bulk-pack waxed stuff (slightly better than the cheapest possible ammo but not by much) and the 22PLY performed flawlessly. Since I have many thousands of the Federal rounds, that works out fine by me.

The Federals seems to group a little better than the Mini-Mags, but that might have just been me, not being as careful after the first 100 rounds.

Cokeman
02-17-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking there was less flip.

Scoundrel
02-17-2012, 10:46 PM
That's probably correct. The Mini-Mags did seem a bit hotter.

Scoundrel
02-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Good point. Thanks for the reminder

Just something to consider:

I am not suggesting that you intentionally drop the hammer on an empty chamber a bunch.

But, in the course of working through what ammo types the gun liked better, I experienced plenty of feed failures resulting in empty chambers withough knowing it until it went click instead of bang. I've also clicked on empty chambers as a result of running out of bullets a bunch of times. I've probably smacked the firing pin against an empty chamber a good few dozen times now.

I've just carefully inspected the chamber, feed ramp, etc, and I cannot find any sign of damage. In fact, I can't even tell where the pin is hitting at all.

It is possible that the potential damage is elsewhere - like maybe the firing pin itself can be damaged. But that part, at least, is replaceable.

Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about the occasional dry fire. I'm not saying you should practice your trigger pulls all day with an empty gun, but I also don't think you need to sacrifice that 9th round by placing a snap cap in the magazine.

TriggerMan
02-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Just something to consider:

I am not suggesting that you intentionally drop the hammer on an empty chamber a bunch.

But, in the course of working through what ammo types the gun liked better, I experienced plenty of feed failures resulting in empty chambers withough knowing it until it went click instead of bang. I've also clicked on empty chambers as a result of running out of bullets a bunch of times. I've probably smacked the firing pin against an empty chamber a good few dozen times now.

I've just carefully inspected the chamber, feed ramp, etc, and I cannot find any sign of damage. In fact, I can't even tell where the pin is hitting at all.

It is possible that the potential damage is elsewhere - like maybe the firing pin itself can be damaged. But that part, at least, is replaceable.

Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about the occasional dry fire. I'm not saying you should practice your trigger pulls all day with an empty gun, but I also don't think you need to sacrifice that 9th round by placing a snap cap in the magazine.I examined mine as well, no visible marks or damage.

TriggerMan
02-17-2012, 11:49 PM
That's probably correct. The Mini-Mags did seem a bit hotter.They sure are, but muzzle flip? Can't notice any.

Scoundrel
02-17-2012, 11:53 PM
They sure are, but muzzle flip? Can't notice any.

"Flip" may be too strong a word. Maybe "muzzle twitch" or something. Just enough to start shooting a little wide after 100 rounds and switching to hotter ammo.

Maybe next time I'll alternate magazines right from the start and see if I can confirm. This range trip was about putting a bunch through it in a short period of time and seeing whether I had any feed problems.

muggsy
02-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Honestly, I don't think the orange would have lasted long on a toy gun with me or any of the other gun slingers I ran around with in grade school.

I didn't mean for you to have to justify your gun to me. It was not my intention to question your choice of color for a gun. I was just wondering if it convelutes identification for a LEO. Not being a cop I wouldn't know how much stake they put in the orange since, like you said, it can be changed easily.

Enjoy your new gun!

When I was a kid my family was so poor that I used to paint the end of my finger orange, so that the other kids would think that I had a toy gun. Times were tough back then. :)

Tinman507
02-18-2012, 07:33 AM
You're lucky, we were so poor we had to borrow fingers from rich relatives.

Jocko is known to use rented fingers. He types with em like he rented them.

Cokeman
02-18-2012, 03:07 PM
^ :third:

Tank
02-18-2012, 08:01 PM
When I was a kid my family was so poor that I used to paint the end of my finger orange, so that the other kids would think that I had a toy gun. Times were tough back then. :)

Was that back when you walked 2 miles to and from school, up hill both ways with no shoes and snow to the top of the power poles? You may know my dad, he went to that school. :D