PDA

View Full Version : Action Pistol/IDPA

Indigo
02-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Never done IDPA match but I really want to just hate doing new things in front of a crowd. I passed a test at range tonight they called Action Pistol that they have matches for every month. It's a 18x28" target that moves at 10 feet/second for 60 feet (6 seconds) but really you can only use about 4 seconds when target is in the middle area. I had to hit 12/12 100% 3 shots each from 10,15,20,25 yards. Only got 10/12 first time but he let me do it again since I've never shot moving target and I passed 12/12 round 2. So is this something you all are familiar with? Is Action Pistol just what my range calls this or is it a widely known thing like IDPA? I figure some of you guys have had a lot of experience in one/both and was wondering if the ability to hit the moving target has a big factor in IDPA as I would love to compete but as I said I just dont want to look stupid.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/devito99/a2747328.jpg

crazymailman
02-15-2012, 07:45 PM
You won't look stupid. I shot my first match last summer and was extremely nervous. All the guys were a really big help by giving me pointers and a few atta boys. Just remember that even the old pros had to start at some point. In the end, I did much better than I thought I would. Go for it!

Indigo
02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
You won't look stupid. I shot my first match last summer and was extremely nervous. All the guys were a really big help by giving me pointers and a few atta boys. Just remember that even the old pros had to start at some point. In the end, I did much better than I thought I would. Go for it!

Thanks for the advice. I've been shooting stuff for years but just always by myself. The competition stuff looks fun and I think with a little practice I could do fairly well amongst my local club members I just don't perform well in front of crowds at new things.

Tilos
02-15-2012, 09:20 PM
This is NRA Action Pistol, also called Bianchi Cup:

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/dept-action.asp

knkali
02-15-2012, 09:23 PM
hitting a moving target is a small part of IDPA. go to youtube and search IDPA to get the flavor of what is going to happen. Dont worry about looking stupid. As long as you dont muzzle yourself or the people around you, drop your gun, or have an accidental discharge, you will be fine. Since you are not a new shooter, these things will not be a problem for you. IDPA is a good way to get some more realistic SD trigger time. I shoot it at least once a month. I wish there was IDPA comps in my area that are open to the subcompact size guns we all seem to love Kahr for. I know there is one org called CCOP or COOP or ?? that is for barrels under 4" I believe

Bawanna
02-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I mirror your feelings Indigo. I've always wanted to try some of the games but I'm afraid to look stupid too. I don't see too many events around here. I'd like to just go watch and help make the new guys nervous.

I shot metallic silohette many years ago, kind of informal. Kind of fun. Wasn't too good at it.

Tilos
02-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Indigo:

The crowd and timer buzzing adds stress to your shooting and is some of the best training, for a ccw situation.

You will fumble along at 1st...good training for any future real stressful, gun handling event that may come your way.

Do it, you won't regret it.
Tilos

johnh
02-16-2012, 07:57 AM
I have shot both IDPA and USPSA. I really liked USPSA better as the stages were less structured. Basically here are the targets, shoot them as they appear. At least the IDPA matches I shot had specific points to reload, how many rounds to shoot, when to move, etc.. It could have just been that club or the stages they had, but it was too rigid for me. I want to solve the problem as best I can.

In terms of looking bad shooting, do not worry about it. The nice thing about both sports is you are only scored against shooters of similar ability. The clubs I have been to also broke all competitors into small groups and had them run through the stages together. A lot of camaraderie and peer coaching resulted--really a good learning process for me. It was nice to run stages along side shooters who were far better than I, so I could learn from how they solved each problem presented by the stage layout.

I wish I could do more if it, but some health issues are interfering with my running & gunning ability. I may try to get back out for a match or two this year.

Bill K
02-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I don't like shooting competition. Never done IDPA but have done some air rifle field target and some archery 3D competition. When I psyche myself into "not caring" I can do reasonable well but when I really do want to win or do well I tend to fall apart. Purpose trauma I guess.

muggsy
02-16-2012, 08:59 AM
I remember the first time that I shot in a bowling pin match. It was a real adrenaline rush. By the end of it the third elimination I was shaking like a dog shi--in' razor blades. Go and enjoy yourself.

knkali
02-16-2012, 09:28 AM
I have shot both IDPA and USPSA. I really liked USPSA better as the stages were less structured. Basically here are the targets, shoot them as they appear. At least the IDPA matches I shot had specific points to reload, how many rounds to shoot, when to move, etc.. It could have just been that club or the stages they had, but it was too rigid for me. I want to solve the problem as best I can.

In terms of looking bad shooting, do not worry about it. The nice thing about both sports is you are only scored against shooters of similar ability. The clubs I have been to also broke all competitors into small groups and had them run through the stages together. A lot of camaraderie and peer coaching resulted--really a good learning process for me. It was nice to run stages along side shooters who were far better than I, so I could learn from how they solved each problem presented by the stage layout.
I wish I could do more if it, but some health issues are interfering with my running & gunning ability. I may try to get back out for a match or two this year.

Yes IDPA has more "structure"

getsome
02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
My son and I did a IDPA match for the first time last year and it was a lot of fun....As luck would have it the night we went the first stage was done in total darkness shooting one handed with a small flashlight which I didn't think to bring but one of the fellows let us borrow his...You started while sitting at a desk with pistol holstered and the flashlight in a pocket...At the shooter ready command the range officer turned off the lights and you had to draw your pistol and turn on the flash light and fire at 2 targets twice each 4 rounds total from a sitting position one handed...The idea was to simulate being at your work place and a BG entering and turning off the lights to rob you...Now that was hard for me as I need to practice shooting one handed a lot more and the muzzle blast was quite bright and blinding and made the second shot much harder...

The second stage involved shooting 3 targets from cover on the right side of the range then moving to the middle shooting 2 targets at 10-12 yards while moving...(Very hard) then moving to cover on the far left then do a reload and shoot a target partially covered representing a hostage situation and not hitting the good guy...(I did)...

The last stage started from a sitting position with your pistol out of reach representing a situation where you may have fallen or been pushed down...
You had to retrieve the empty chamber pistol, drop the magazine, rack the slide to represent clearing a jam, reinsert mag and again rack slide to load all while sitting then get up and fire at 3 targets at 5, 10, and 12 yards while moving to cover...(Again very hard but great realistic practice)...

My son did much better than me but I did fair except for the getting up from sitting drill (Bad Knees and back) and hitting the hostage target but I ruled that just a flesh wound and all in all it was a real blast...The group shooting that night was a great bunch of fellows more than willing to offer advice to a couple of newbies to IDPA..I highly recommend it and can't wait to do it again!!!

Indigo
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Lots of great advice guys thanks for the tips and vote of confidence I guess it's time to give it a shot, so to speak. Hats off to the law enforcement officer today who stopped me for allegedly running a stop sign on my way to work. I disagree especially since I waived to him on my way by as I saw him there the whole time as they sit in my neighborhood every morning because of people who have nothing better to do than complain. I advised him I was carrying without moving an inch, he was totally cool instructing me what to touch and what not, told me he is a big 2nd amendment supporter then let me off with a warning. My first time getting stopped while carrying. Unfortunately he had followed me for a mile through the community and waited until I got to the busiest part at the exit near a grocery and some busy body lady actually stopped her car in the middle of the road, rolled down her window, then loudly thanked the officer for what he was doing because there have been a lot of speeders in our neighborhood lately. She has no idea how close she was to getting a flat tire "accidentally" if I could have caught her plate but he was blocking my view. Real nice guy about the permit but I don't think he had a clear view at all of whether or not I came to a stop for long enough.