PDA

View Full Version : Is Kydex comfortable IWB

wlc
02-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I've been reading about the PJ IWB Kydex holsters and am considering ordering one. Is the Kydex comfortable when worn IWB? How does the comfort compare to leather? I like the idea of the thinner material. I'd like to hear from anyone who has used leather and Kydex before I add to my "mostly unused holster" box. Thanks

JFootin
02-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Mine are comfortable as can be. I haven't, but someone here posted that even against bare skin it is comfortable and doesn't make you sweat like leather does. Kydex is amazing stuff, and PJ holsters are really amazing.

hss.strat
02-16-2012, 10:48 AM
In my experience the trick to comfort is spreading the pressure out over a larger area. Crossbreed Holsters do it and so does the North Star Holsters - Slim Jim Compact that I carry now.

bufford
02-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Pauls holsters are great, but I DO wear a t-shirt. The digging in my side goes away with that small bit of material... of course I do not have the slim boyish figure I once had...

340pd
02-16-2012, 12:55 PM
If you want the lightest, thinnest, quickest on and off, PJ's or Silent Thunder. I think the crossbreed or Garrett's fusion style are better used for larger firearms. They might be a tad more comfortable but a lot more screwing around on and off and, I do not like two wide spaced belt clips on a holster unless absolutely necessary.

wlc
02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks, I'll be using it with a CM9

wyntrout
02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
I've used Dr. Scholl's Moleskin... adhesive backed pads, to soften Kydex holsters, magazine holders and even the leather on my Crossbreed Minitucks.
I carry IWB and sometimes it's irritating to my love handles.

Wynn:)

SEH95B
02-27-2012, 05:49 AM
I find the Comp-tac ones extremely comfortable

chrish
02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
+1 on the comptac. i'm using a comptac infidel, so not the pancake versions. i find it pretty comfortable w/ a t-shirt on between me and the holster. it's doable w/o a t-shirt, but after awhile kinda gets to you. i just wanted easy on/off and i found the pancake to be more difficult to get on and off w/o fiddling. i guess practice and use would correct that, but for me, the infidel was more than comfortable and i'm very happy w/ it.

wlc
02-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks all. I have ordered a PJ kydex, I'll let everyone know how it works.

Kiehtan
02-27-2012, 09:08 AM
I use a Tucker The Answer for my Beretta 92 (very similar to the Supertuck). Leatrher towards teh body with a kydex pocket. Very comfortable but I generally wear a tucked t-Shirt so it doesn't durectly touch my skin.

I carry my PM-9 in a Kydex Silent Thunder II Appendix style. All Kydex and very comfortable, but thus far I have only carried it with a tucked T-Shirt as well.

Tinman507
02-27-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't mind kydex next to my skin.
Here's a photo of me wearing the holster

http://ospois.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/iherdsomething3.jpg

OldLincoln
02-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Is Kydex comfortable for IWB? Absolutely! I prefer the Garrett Silent Thunder which I can confirm is comfortable, but I suspect that most are okay as long as they do not have sharp edges against your skin. My ST even has the top of the sweat shield smoothed over but it is pulled away a bit from the skin anyway.

I advise against getting any IWB that allows the gun to come into contact with you. It can corrode the gun and may be painful if you run or sit.

OldLincoln
02-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Wow Tin, that's EXACTLY how I pictured you!!!! :)

JFootin
02-27-2012, 10:12 AM

LOL! I don't think that half man / half gorilla should be allowed near a gun! Bizarre pic, TinMan. :D

Edit: Ooo, and look where his trigger finger is! :eek:

wyntrout
02-27-2012, 10:26 AM
I use Dr. Scholl's Moleskin when I have problems with rubbing... on Kydex mag holders or holsters. I clean the Kydex with alcohol and let that dry, then put a cut-to-fit piece of sticky-backed Moleskin on it and trim as needed with scissors.

Wynn:)

chrish
02-27-2012, 10:35 AM
boy, wish i hadn't come back to this thread. ever wish you could unsee something?

Tinman507
02-27-2012, 10:41 AM
http://www.***********/gallery/data/600/medium/eyebleach.jpg

Bawanna
02-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Mein Got, I think I just passed an apple fritter through my nose. I don't have time for the special eye bleach, I'm using clorox.

We should put a warning on this thread, not suitable for children, women, or anything that walks on two legs, crawls or slithers.

I may never recover from that. Profound.

Bawanna
02-27-2012, 11:31 AM
That would make a great birth control ad. Sort of like the gory movies about drunk driving. Course that photo might overide the desire not to drink, I know it did that in my case.

JFootin
02-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Mein Got, I think I just passed an apple fritter through my nose. I don't have time for the special eye bleach, I'm using clorox.

We should put a warning on this thread, not suitable for children, women, or anything that walks on two legs, crawls or slithers.

I may never recover from that. Profound.

That would make a great birth control ad. Sort of like the gory movies about drunk driving. Course that photo might overide the desire not to drink, I know it did that in my case.

I get bigger laughs on this forum than anything else that I experience in my drab life. Thanks, Tinman! :)

Don't let the anti-gunners EVER see that picture!!! We'll all be SOL if they do!

Don K.
02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I bet the folks that sit around my cube are wondering about me now.....I started LOL

that was a image I really didn't need to see!!! (wonder if there are other Kahr Talk members near me and if we can car pool to therapy)

Bawanna
02-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I bet the folks that sit around my cube are wondering about me now.....I started LOL

that was a image I really didn't need to see!!! (wonder if there are other Kahr Talk members near me and if we can car pool to therapy)

If there's therapy that can help with this trauma I'll completely change my tune on shrinks and start watching Oprahs man Dr Phil. I think we're doomed.

If I had a kid that looked like that I'd keep it in a cage in the back yard, rarely feed it and poke it with a sharp stick every time I went by.

AIRret
02-29-2012, 06:01 AM
My Lord Tinman!!!! I used to think I've seen it all. Just goes to show how wrong a person can be.
Kydex next to the skin does not bother me. But I would like to know if anyone has added kydex to the lip of a leather holster. I have a bianci iwb holster that I really like, but when reholstering, the slidestop on my Karh pm9 gets caught on the opening of the holster so I have to use two hands to holster my gun. Would a kydex lip take care of the problem???

AIRret
02-29-2012, 06:02 AM
PS. I'm left handed, therefore the slidestop faces out.

JFootin
02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
My Lord Tinman!!!! I used to think I've seen it all. Just goes to show how wrong a person can be.
Kydex next to the skin does not bother me. But I would like to know if anyone has added kydex to the lip of a leather holster. I have a bianci iwb holster that I really like, but when reholstering, the slidestop on my Karh pm9 gets caught on the opening of the holster so I have to use two hands to holster my gun. Would a kydex lip take care of the problem???

Cough up $40 (shipped) for one of these: PJ IWB Holster (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37). You will be so glad you did.

340pd
02-29-2012, 09:46 AM
And mom said I was going to go blind from doing other things.

wlc
02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Cough up $40 (shipped) for one of these: PJ IWB Holster (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37). You will be so glad you did.

I think they are $45 now, but well worth it. I've been using mine for a few days and it's the most comfortable IWB holster I've tried.

JFootin
02-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I think they are $45 now, but well worth it. I've been using mine for a few days and it's the most comfortable IWB holster I've tried.

Oh, price increase. I hadn't noticed. Still an absolutely great holster!

AIRret
02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
What do you think of the Blade-Tech IWB holster.
It is similar to the PJ but the cant is ajustable.? I have one on order for my Sig p239. // I like the sig but my karh pm9 is still my main carry.

JFootin
02-29-2012, 01:30 PM
What do you think of the Blade-Tech IWB holster.
It is similar to the PJ but the cant is ajustable.? I have one on order for my Sig p239. // I like the sig but my karh pm9 is still my main carry.

Well they're twice the price, and I'll bet not as comfortable to carry the PM9, IMO. Which one were you looking at? I didn't see any that were similar to the PJ. And they are molded plastic, not heated and shaped kydex.

AIRret
03-01-2012, 08:21 AM
The blade-tech I'm looking at is the ultimate concealment holster. The fact that the cant is ajustable is a big deal. As a woman the FBI cant is a must for me to carry in the 4 O'clock position.

JFootin
03-01-2012, 08:58 AM
The blade-tech I'm looking at is the ultimate concealment holster. The fact that the cant is ajustable is a big deal. As a woman the FBI cant is a must for me to carry in the 4 O'clock position.

That's a good looking holster. They are very precisely molded, so make sure to get one that is specifically sized for the PM9. IMO, if FBI cant is what you want, get a PJ with FBI cant and forget about it. You are probably going to set the B-T at FBI and forget about it anyway. The PJ can be ordered tuckable, as well (+$5), and it can be ordered with several attachment methods. The B-T is a closed loop, so you will have to slide it on and off your belt. With the PJ, you can get an easy on/off over the belt cip that is very secure (my preference), or a J hook (might make pants sag), or a Velcro attachment that leaves nothing visible at all (I have a tuckable one like that with FBI cant). He sends you a strip of Velcro loop to put on the back of your belt. Paul is wonderful to work with and will do anything to satisfy you. And you'll keep $30-40 in your pocket over what the B-T will cost. JMHO. :)

druryj
03-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Mine are comfortable as can be. I haven't, but someone here posted that even against bare skin it is comfortable and doesn't make you sweat like leather does. Kydex is amazing stuff, and PJ holsters are really amazing.

I have several holsters from Paul at PJ holsters; top shelf, good gear, great price, and quick turn around time. I carry a PM9, most of the time, in a PJ-Clip-Over-Belt-Holster.

druryj
03-08-2012, 05:14 PM

That's just wrong Dude; just plain wrong. Plus, you ugly.

Tinman507
03-08-2012, 05:15 PM
That's just wrong Dude; just plain wrong. Plus, you ugly.

Ok, you busted me. that's not really me. That's a photo of Wild Cat McCane.

crazymailman
03-08-2012, 06:40 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQunnPu5yZT2Cg14WRamQuxZOlU0FzHE JQCuwVgpRZXIR4Uwpd7oqCTIMw

Thanks Tinman

falcondriver
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm going to find something to wash my eyes out...
FD

pitbull1022
03-16-2012, 11:37 PM
I have the Garrett Silent Thunder IWB. Great holster. Comfortable too.