PDA

View Full Version : P380: Failure to feed or failure to return to battery?

ORSalesRep
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I was at the range today with my P380 and experienced some intermittent issues. Every so often a round would not quite feed all the way into the chamber and the slide would not return to its forward most position. Sometimes when it happened, the round was about 3/4 into the chamber and other times,it was practically all the way in. Either way, when I pulled the trigger, I would get the dreaded "click" and no "bang." I don't know if one would call this failure to feed or failure to return to battery. At any rate, can you let me know what the proper terminology would be and aside from trying some other ammunition (which I plan to do over the next couple days) what are some other things I should try if the issue continues across multiple brands of ammo?

kerby9mm
02-16-2012, 11:14 AM
There are tons of posts on this forum about the p380 problems. If you go to the P and CW series pistols you can read all about them. From what I have read your problem is far from unique.

JFootin
02-16-2012, 01:04 PM
There are tons of posts on this forum about the p380 problems. If you go to the P and CW series pistols you can read all about them. From what I have read your problem is far from unique.

So, you're going to post this on every new thread regarding P380 pistols? Is that your life goal now, to spread your sour opinion about P380s wherever you go? All we need is ONE report from you about your experience with the P380, but it is UGLY UGLY UGLY to go around dropping poop on every P380 thread on the forum! That is not proper forum etiquette nor mature behavior.

Just to set the record strait, even with the P380, the problems are rare, and for every one with a problem there are dozens with no problem whatsoever that you'll never see a post about on this or any other gun forum. And how many of the complaints on the web are repeat postings by immature sourpusses about a very few guns?

Have there been a few problems with the P380? Yes, and Kahr has worked very hard to fix them. Were there problems with other models when they were relatively new? Yes. Just look at the history of the PM9. But look at what a solid performer it has become. Kahr pushes the engineering limits to make their guns so small, narrow and light. And we all know they are not alone in having some growing pains with these tiny 380 pocket guns. But, show me another that is as pocketable as the P380, has as good shooting ergonomics and the absolute best DA trigger on the market. I have read that the P380 is a pleasure to shoot and amazingly accurate.

That is why I intend to own one someday. Sure, I could get a LCP, but everyone says how unpleasant they are to shoot, with downright painful recoil and a trigger that is lousy by comparison. Same with the TCP. The older ones such as the Seecamp and NAA have 11 lb triggers and are heavier. Plus, they are very picky with ammo.

So, I am going to be patient and, when my budget allows I am going to get one (my budget is hoping for a CW380 to appear :p).

TriggerMan
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
All we need is ONE report from you about your experience with the P380 ...
...I intend to own one someday. Sure, I could get a LCP, but everyone says how unpleasant they are to shoot, with downright painful recoil and a trigger that is lousy by comparison. Same with the TCP. The older ones such as the Seecamp and NAA have 11 lb triggers and are heavier. Plus, they are very picky with ammo.

So, I am going to be patient and, when my budget allows I am going to get one (my budget is hoping for a CW380 to appear ).

Clearly there is a double standard being proposed.

So, Kerby9mm gets to say something ONCE, but any of the several Kahr evangelists get to jump on every thread and tout Kahr CS service ("Don't worry they will get it right") and that Kahr is the best, smallest, straightest shooting gun ever made for CCW...and oh, it has a awesome trigger. That sound about right?

Second, there is the issue of rabidly selling a gun YOU don't own and have never shot. Seems to me that an unhappy owner ought to be allowed a little more leaway than just ONE comment.

A little less cheerleading is in order and a little tolerance for dissatisfied customer s voicing their complaints. Kahr got their money, you have none in the game yet.

JFootin
02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Clearly there is a double standard being proposed.

So, Kerby9mm gets to say something ONCE, but any of the several Kahr evangelists get to jump on every thread and tout Kahr CS service ("Don't worry they will get it right") and that Kahr is the best, smallest, straightest shooting gun ever made for CCW...and oh, it has a awesome trigger. That sound about right?

Second, there is the issue of rabidly selling a gun YOU don't own and have never shot. Seems to me that an unhappy owner ought to be allowed a little more leaway than just ONE comment.

A little less cheerleading is in order and a little tolerance for dissatisfied customer s voicing their complaints. Kahr got their money, you have none in the game yet.

But it gets to be too much. IMO, when they post the exact same crap on every single thread for that model and talk about the gun's a POS and Kahr is a POS. Come on! They'll even do it where a new owner posts a glowing range report. It's like going around the neigborhood leaving bags of dog poop on everyone's doorstep. Too much is too much, and if they don't have anything constructive to say, like "I had that problem, too, but the members here or Kahr CS helped solve it", then they should can it. If somebody doesn't say something to them, they hang around here for weeks spoiling every thread that mentions that model gun with exactly the same rant. They don't want help. Nothing constructive is taking place. Geez!

Anger
02-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I was at the range today with my P380 and experienced some intermittent issues. Every so often a round would not quite feed all the way into the chamber and the slide would not return to its forward most position. Sometimes when it happened, the round was about 3/4 into the chamber and other times,it was practically all the way in. Either way, when I pulled the trigger, I would get the dreaded "click" and no "bang." I don't know if one would call this failure to feed or failure to return to battery. At any rate, can you let me know what the proper terminology would be and aside from trying some other ammunition (which I plan to do over the next couple days) what are some other things I should try if the issue continues across multiple brands of ammo?

This may not help your particular situation and I don't own a P380 (but I'm in the market) but I can tell you my keltec P3AT gets finnacy after about 100 to 150 rounds. It likes a bit of lube on the slide rails. I wonder if the Kahr is the same way. You don't mention at what stage you're in on your P380 (break in, or what not) and you don't mention your cleaning ritual. Thanks. Bill.

jocko
02-16-2012, 05:00 PM
not knowing the age of ur P380, but I have been toldthat the later models indeed do have a more stouter recoil spring assembly in them. U might jus tneed a new recoil spring assembly to get that round to feed in the chamber. FTRB is what I think ur having and a call to kahr I bet willget u a new set of springsin themail to try out. again not knowing also the amount of rounds out of the gun either. sometimes it does take a couple hundred rounds to smooth stuff out. Haveu looked at the kahr lube chart on the kahr tech section. The P380 is finicky, there are still bugs out there in some. lately I think they are getting their act together on the P380. For me the jury is still out, but when they work as designed I do think they are the finest 380 on the market. Mine is certainly a better shooter in my hands than my PM9 now figure that sh-t out. I sure can't.

LMT42
02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
What jocko said - hard to tell without more info on your pistol. Failing to return to battery is probably from limp wristing, weak loads or the recoil spring. Have you had anyone else shoot your gun and replicate the failures? Try a couple of mags of hot SD loads and see if it runs better.

josp
02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
My P380 does that on cheap russian ammo, but not with the higher quality (and price) ammo I carry. I use it as a training tool (jam clearing). The bigger guns will always be more powerful, and reliable, but they don't get carried everywhere the little ones go.

kerby9mm
02-16-2012, 05:58 PM
J Footin. All I did was advise the guy where to read about his p380 in case he didn't know and in a roundabout way tell him that I have read about that problem on his gun before. I think you came up with the solution for Kahr in making it a cw380.

jocko
02-16-2012, 06:07 PM
the hot loads is a good idea. by that I mean most all defense ammo is hotter than fmj ammo.

JFootin
02-16-2012, 07:32 PM
J Footin. All I did was advise the guy where to read about his p380 in case he didn't know and in a roundabout way tell him that I have read about that problem on his gun before. I think you came up with the solution for Kahr in making it a cw380.

Yeah. I'm sorry, I overreacted. We have had a couple of guys do the poop flinging thing all over the forum, and I mistakenly thought I was seeing another one. But you're not that way at all. So, please forgive me.

I don't think they are going to make a CW380 until all of the bugs are gone and the P380 has gained a reputation for dependability right out of the box. Look how many years the P and PM series were out before they started making CWs and CMs.

balok1701
02-16-2012, 08:38 PM
CW380? I'm with you Brother! I would buy one in a heartbeat if/when they come out with a lower cost 380. Are you really wanting a CW series 380 with 3.5" barrel and full grip? or do you mean a CM380 that would be the same size as the current P380?

JFootin
02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
CW380? I'm with you Brother! I would buy one in a heartbeat if/when they come out with a lower cost 380. Are you really wanting a CW series 380 with 3.5" barrel and full grip? or do you mean a CM380 that would be the same size as the current P380?

Well we have the CWs being lower priced P series guns. The CMs are lower priced PM series guns. So I'm thinking that it will be called the CW380, not the CM380, because there is no PM380. And it would still be the same size. (Man, a PM/CM380 wouldn't be a two finger grip, it would be one finger! :rolleyes:)