PDA

View Full Version : My new EDC - The Kahr PM9

SpecK
02-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Let me just say, I have been awaiting this day with baited breath for 2 weeks.

Over the past few months, I have done literally countless hours of research (and many of those on the clock ) as to which handgun would fit me best, and to which I would trust with my life. Well after a speedy tax return this year (thanks Obama...HA! not) I decided to end my suffering. Hello, PM9.

I've looked at 1000 pictures of this gun and none did justice to the beauty that was registered to my name this morning when I opened that box. As soon as she came out of that plasic bag, even covered in...whatever the factory uses as lube...she said "shoot me like you stole me." I can say I was hoping for the snub nose but one takes what one can get. So after a thorough cleaning (thanks, jocko) and an expert lube job (thanks, johnh) we were off to the range. Even after the CDC NC brake cleaner (again, thanks, jocko) the feed ramp wasnt a mirror polish, but I decided to see what she did in the break in period before polishing or modifying anything.

Beautiful day. 50 degrees, no wind, and sunny. Couple guys shooting skeet but only one person at the 20 lane range, so we're right in.

Wow. Smooth trigger, crisp break, manageable recoil, and accurate to boot. I'm going to save you what you already know about the PM9, it's an amazing little shooter. I am in love.

So that being said, I have a few smalls hurdles. The most important IMO, are FTFs, so we'll start there. Somewhere around round 35, we took a nosedive. I was interested to see what one of these looked like in person, as none of my other pistols have ever had this issue. Not pretty, but that was the only one from a 6 round clip on the day, so we'll chalk that one up to user error. About rounds 90 & 91 (or so) had consecutive nosedives in the 7 round clip on rounds 2 and 3. Again on load 120 we went down on the second round in the 7 rd clip. That sombeech is going back to the factory in exchange for another 6 rounder. Problem solved.

I did pick up a nasty little gash on the fingerprint of my thumb from the top of the magazine after loading the first 100 rounds. The top rounded part that holds in the ammo. After a few more painful and bloody mag loads, I remembered I had some electrical tape in my range bag and a quick make shift band-aid did the trick. So that point is a sharp little bugger, is it going to hurt to take a little off the top? I would rather wrap up in tape when I go to the range than cause potential issues with feeding or holding ammo. Also a little skin rubbed off on the 1st thumb knuckle from the rear of the frame, but after 225 rounds and the recoil of a sub 9mm, I'll deal.

Coming from my other 9mm, the S&W Mod 5906, expectations were high. I can honestly say it can hold its own against a 3rd gen Smith. Its almost as if I got what I paid for

I decided not to sight in the Crimson Trace today as I wanted to break her in. And even though Im only 20 minutes from the CrossBreed shop, I still have a couple weeks til that arrives. Taking my CCW class Saturday. Have a NIB set of MeProLights setting here waiting to go on but I think thats going to wait til later next week, as Monday she goes into the shop for a professional mirror polish. Yeah, goin all out on this one.

Oh and next time I'll be paying the extra 3% for using a CC online. That extra 5 days processing for EFT buh-lows.

Im usually not this long winded, but like I said this has been a long time coming. So since this is my first post, Ill be much more active. I have so many questions, but for now thanks to jocko, Wynn, johnh, gb6491, Bawanna, Tinman, TriggerMan, JFootin, BillK and anyone else Im forgetting. It is because of you all I am here today. Okay Ill shut up enjoy th pics! --SpecK

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t519/SpecmenK/PM9043.jpg
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t519/SpecmenK/PM9034.jpg
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t519/SpecmenK/PM9046.jpg
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t519/SpecmenK/PM9035.jpg
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t519/SpecmenK/PM9036.jpg

JFootin
02-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Congrats on the fine new gun. You'll think it's a different gun after a few hundred rounds. Everything, even the trigger, gets so much smoother.

Save your thumb and get a Butler Creek Universal LULA mag loader (http://www.amazon.com/Butler-Creek-Universal-Pistol-Loader/dp/B001HBHNHE). Great tool that will work for all SD calibers.

Tinman507
02-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Congrats on the shooter. Nothing wrong with smooting out the mag lips where it cut you. But I second the UpLula. It's a thumb saver for sure.

jerstolp
02-17-2012, 09:15 AM
congrats on the pm9. i was still getting nose dives ocasionally with my pm40 even after break in, with either the 5 or 6rnd mag. and if i put 1 in the chamber and then re topped off the mag the second round ALWAYS nose dived. but i did the super simple follower mod, and it runs awsome now ,actually its almost unbelieveable how good it runs now. such a simple mod made all the difference.

Bill K
02-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Welcome to KahrTalk.

Thanks for your very thorough range report and the cool pics.

Got a PM9 myself which I now carry more than my P3AT and Glock 26.

wyntrout
02-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Congratulations, SpecK. And nice shooting for the first time out. I tend to use more of the target. I point shoot a lot after a few "aimed" shots. My PM9 is still my main carry because of the size... easier to conceal. I haven't shot mine in a while, though. I prefer shooting the larger calibers at the range... bigger holes and more sound and fury.

Wynn:)

SpecK
02-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Congrats on the fine new gun. You'll think it's a different gun after a few hundred rounds. Everything, even the trigger, gets so much smoother.

Save your thumb and get a Butler Creek Universal LULA mag loader (http://www.amazon.com/Butler-Creek-Universal-Pistol-Loader/dp/B001HBHNHE). Great tool that will work for all SD calibers.

Suh-weet! Thank you for the recommendation. Just waiting for my tracking number!

Thanks Bill, I had a feeling there would only be a few people actually read the whole thing...alot of blah blah blah. I'm really looking forward to this carry.

And Wynn, I think you're right. This will stay on my person but the Smith will still be the bigger range player. Theres just something about an external hammer....

Thanks fellas!

harrydog
02-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Congrats! I think you made a very wise choice. You now have a companion for life if you keep it maintained.
I think the PM9 is the best small 9mm available and that even includes the Rohrbaugh R9. (Very small and nicely made gun but the PM9 is more dependable, easier to shoot well and far more durable)
I resisted buying a PM9 for many years because of perceived reliability issues. I guess there were some issues in the very beginning but those are long gone and I wish I would have bought mine years ago.

P.S. your knife is rusty ;)

CharlieW
02-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I know it is not a PM, but I carried my CM9 to the range with a couple of other 9mm's and had a very good day. The Kahr ran faultlessly, with both Federal FMJ target ammo, and Hornady Critical Defense carry ammo. Easy to shoot, smooth, and much more accurate than you'd expect from its size -- What is not to like? As stated above, they just get better with age. Enjoy!

Allen
02-17-2012, 10:42 PM
congrats on the pm9. i was still getting nose dives ocasionally with my pm40 even after break in, with either the 5 or 6rnd mag. and if i put 1 in the chamber and then re topped off the mag the second round ALWAYS nose dived. but i did the super simple follower mod, and it runs awsome now ,actually its almost unbelieveable how good it runs now. such a simple mod made all the difference.

Could you explain the "super simple follower mod"? I just got my new CM9 and may need to do all the tricks available to insure a good first outing.

packinaglock
02-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Congrats on the new gun, mine has only gotten smoother over the years/rounds.

JFootin
02-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Could you explain the "super simple follower mod"? I just got my new CM9 and may need to do all the tricks available to insure a good first outing.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6943

Tinman507
02-18-2012, 07:17 AM

DON'T Mess with it until you go shoot it. Shove 200 through it first before doing any mods. See what happens.

pocket pistol
02-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Speck,
I read the whole thing too. And looked at the pictures. Welcome to the forum. I think you made the right choice. I researched compact 9mm pistols to death before buying my CM9. I've had nothing but good from mine and I plan on hanging on to her for a long time.

Allen
02-19-2012, 07:59 PM

I tried to read all the links and listen to the videos and unless I really missed something it seems the best advice I could determine to fix the Kahr mags was to replace them with a ProMag. Did I miss something that should be done to the Kahr mags to improve them?

JFootin
02-19-2012, 08:22 PM
I tried to read all the links and listen to the videos and unless I really missed something it seems the best advice I could determine to fix the Kahr mags was to replace them with a ProMag. Did I miss something that should be done to the Kahr mags to improve them?

There is a sticky in the Kahr-Tech section that explains this mod:
Chambering the first round, a slingshot modification (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6943)

Allen
02-19-2012, 10:31 PM
There is a sticky in the Kahr-Tech section that explains this mod:
Chambering the first round, a slingshot modification (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6943)

Everything keeps referring me back to the You Tube video showing the results of a mod Kahr mag but doesn't show what was actually done to modify the Kahr mag itself. The video shows a Kahr being sling shoted with a standard mag, which hangs up, then how it works with the modified mag. No where does it show what is done to the mag.

Has anyone seen what is actually done to the mag itself? Really would love to see what takes place in this modification.

JFootin
02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Everything keeps referring me back to the You Tube video showing the results of a mod Kahr mag but doesn't show what was actually done to modify the Kahr mag itself. The video shows a Kahr being sling shoted with a standard mag, which hangs up, then how it works with the modified mag. No where does it show what is done to the mag.

Has anyone seen what is actually done to the mag itself? Really would love to see what takes place in this modification.

You didn't read past the first page! Look at post #12 about sanding to recontour the top of the follower.

wyntrout
02-19-2012, 10:54 PM
And WATCH the videos!:D

Couldn't resist!

Wynn:)

SpecK
02-21-2012, 02:10 PM
P.S. your knife is rusty ;)

I knew somebody would say something :D

And thanks pocket pistol, everyday this thing rides on my hip I love her a little bit more.

And you say I'll keep her for life...well I have this disease that prevents me from selling the guns I buy...I dont know why but once its aquired (for whatever reason) I cant let go. I should call Dr. Phil I think

Bawanna
02-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Yup the knife is rusty but it's a cool knife.

I read the whole thing too, even the bigger words, didn't have to look up any of them. I get along better with gun words that computer words.

Glad you found us and can add yourself to our success stories. It's not a small list of course but a good one.

Kahrfan12
02-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Speck, I just picked up my new PM9 last week and I absolutely LOVE it!!
It's a great little gun that packs plenty of punch!
Enjoy it! I know I'm enjoying mine!

SpecK
02-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Speck, I just picked up my new PM9 last week and I absolutely LOVE it!!
It's a great little gun that packs plenty of punch!
Enjoy it! I know I'm enjoying mine!

Thank you, my friend. And I'm glad to hear it! Anytime I hear Sig P-this or XD sub-compact-that all I can think is, ya shoulda went with a Kahr. Congrats again, Shoot it like you stole it!