PDA

View Full Version : slide not locking back on empty. PM9

Rexed76
02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
recently aquired a new to me pm9 black diamond. Seller indicated about 300 rounds through it. I did a quick cleaning, and took her to the range and put 100 rounds of FMJ through her and a few self defense rounds as well. the only issue that arose was about half way to 3/4 way through the session every other clip or so the slide would not lock back on empty magazine, but go back to the resting position when the last round was fired. I have 3 magazines all kahr, one the extended, I wish I had paid attention to which one if there was a consistent one doing this, may not be related at all to the magazine. I guess that is my question. What could be causeing this? form/grip? I don't think I was touching the slide lockback lever while shooting, but I understandf they may have been the issue. what else? thanks

jocko
02-17-2012, 09:41 AM
check top make sure the outter edol spring is on corretly. with the open end towards the front of the slide. next if that is ok, mark u magazines and retest, next if they all do it, then let another good shooter try the gun, if he can duplicate, then u have elimin ated the shooter error portion. next try shooting it left handed a few magazines to see if it goes away, if so, thenu thumb is somehwo bothering that slide lock lever. If that is all ok, give kahr a call and don't mention u bought it used, jsut tell them what is going on and ask if it could be recoil spring related. they ight indeed sned u a new recoil assembply to test out.

Test out the defense rounds, the are normally hot rounds and will work the slide really good, just load 3 rounds in each magazine and test out. I wold pass on testing the extended magazine until u see how good the flush fit ones do. If the flush fit ones don't work right then the extended might not either. It is more problematic.

If u have not visited the kahr tech section, hit on two good sticky's .

#1 kahr lube chart

#2 propper prepping of ur kahr.

the fact that it was doing great for 3/4 of the session could be just a tired shooter and he not knowing it.

wyntrout
02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Pay attention to the slide lock. make sure it's inserted correctly and the little spring rests on the inner ledge of the slide lock. The screw holding the washer for that spring just needs to be snug so that the free end of the spring can move... careful... steel screw into plastic... not too tight. Sometimes the pin is not held in by the spring and can back out a bit, causing problems like that.

Watch the Take Down Video at Kahr.com:

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp

The slide lock spring is discussed and shown there.

Look at and compare the followers in the magazines, with attention on the steel pin and that area of the follower. Mark your magazines so that you can keep up with which is giving you problems... it may not be all of them.

Good luck.

Wynn:)