PDA

View Full Version : New MK guide rod question

hsart
02-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Added a new MK9 and after first prep clean and lube the guide rod black plastic button does not fit flush with the front of the slide ... sticks out about 3/16" or 1/4". I have taken down and reassembled a few times with same result. Guide rod/spring seems to fit perfectly inside the slide assembly. Is this normal? My other Kahrs fit flush.

kerby9mm
02-19-2012, 01:33 PM
On my mk9 the rod comes out like that just a tad less than the barrel. That's normal. On my mk40 the rod is the same also. If you look at the rod there is a metal retainer just behind the rod end. The retainer keeps the springs in the spring tunnel of the slide when the rod comes out when the slide is pulled back.

Barth
02-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Added a new MK9 and after first prep clean and lube the guide rod black plastic button does not fit flush with the front of the slide ... sticks out about 3/16" or 1/4". I have taken down and reassembled a few times with same result. Guide rod/spring seems to fit perfectly inside the slide assembly. Is this normal? My other Kahrs fit flush.

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo02/af/9d/f452d24315bd__1310177373000.jpeg

QuercusMax
02-19-2012, 04:22 PM

Glad to see that someone else had this same question. It just doesn't look "right" on my MK9 either, but it does seem to be normal.

I'm still trying to figure out why the beautiful all-metal MK9 comes with this plastic part, but there clearly are trade-offs between plastic and metal for the guide rod or Kahr wouldn't ship them with the plastic rod as standard, but sell a metal one for aftermarket. One of my Berettas was the same way.

hsart
02-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Same issue with the grips... the early rubberized grips or wood would be better suited to this magnificent piece of steel.

kerby9mm
02-19-2012, 05:53 PM
The plastic rod weighs less for advertised weight/it flexes if that is necessary I don't know/is cheaper to produce/you have to spend $40+ for the stainless rod. Take your pick. I think lots of guns come with plastic rods now.

jeepster09
02-19-2012, 06:25 PM
I know on Kel Tec they use plastic also, according to Kel Tec customer service they are designed that way because they flex when gun is cycling [firing]. Kel Tec's using steel causes wear to gun due to flexing. Kel Tec however sells steel ones. I asked why and was told due to "customer demand wanting steel". Don't know about Kahr's. All steel MK's most likely don't flex as much.