PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else wipe their SD ammo before loading...

Copper&Black
02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Every since I started carrying, I load my magazine with a gun cloth keeping my finger prints off the ammo. I do this for no malicious intentions, just in case I find myself in a situation where the Bad Guy's re-enforcements are coming or another reason like that. I'm not condoning leaving the scene of a SD shooting; I have witnessed situations in my live where retaliation could be a big problem.
About 5 yrs ago my brother in law got car jacked and would have been executed had the Gang member's gun not jammed. They proceeded to kick him to the ground and steal his car, leading to a highway chase and being arrested by the state police. Throughout the entire trial process (2 yrs) he received countless death threats, prowlers, and harassment leading to some low level police protection.
So after witnessing his ordeal I came to the conclusion that the police and the justice system can't protect you from the rest of the gang members that didn't commit that crime.
So it's for that reason I don't want my finger prints spread all over the scene....

jeep45238
02-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Those prints has nothing to do with the described situations, sorry.

To be quite honest, I think you're being paranoid. Carry a revolver.

wyntrout
02-04-2010, 06:43 PM
The revolver is actually a good idea, especially if your gun has a fired case on record! You can get 7 and 8 shot .357's I believe, if you don't mind the "wheel width". If you retain your fired cases, there's less evidence left behind. Just don't look down the barrel of one of those -- it ain't a Kahr!
Wynn:D:behindsofa:

Copper&Black
02-04-2010, 06:43 PM
How do they have nothing to do with it...I was merely painting a picture, that if you are involved in a court case with people like gang members it's a lose lose situation, even if justice is served, the rest of the gang is after you. So maybe just maybe I won’t want to stick around for the aftermath, of a bunch of gang members wanting to take out the guy that shot their boy.
They wanted to take out my brother in law, only b/c he said "Yeah, those are the guys that tried to kill me"

Copper&Black
02-04-2010, 06:47 PM
No revolvers for me thank you...

mr surveyor
02-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I have a feeling that the vast majority of users here on KahrTalk, as well as Admin, would NOT condone the recommendation to commit a felony.

surv

Copper&Black
02-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Like I said, I don't condone it...
The admins are more then welcome to delete the thread if they choose to.

Dietrich
02-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I always check the ammo for particulate matter and to see if the hp has anything in it.I wipe the cartridges if they`re dirty but not to remove my fingerprints.If you feel the need to remove your prints,go for it.I sincerely hope that you never have to use your handgun for anything but target practice. :)

jeep45238
02-04-2010, 07:56 PM
You say
I'm not condoning leaving the scene of a SD shooting

Yet you're afraid of fingerprints. Fingerprints won't give anybody outside of law enforcement anything on you.

To be frank, I refuse to let some two bit punks attempt to demean or intimidate me. I have no second thoughts about ditching on a crime scene and waiting for some punk buddies to show up, but I will report the self defense shooting.

The call will say something to the extent of "My name is ABC, I was just involved in a self defense shooting, and I am headed to XYZ location." Discussion with law enforcement at the scene will be something to the effect of "you have my call on 911, I will not say anything else without a lawyer present."

Start thinking about your life as a pistol carrying concerned citizen, and less like John Wayne.

wyntrout
02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Good post, Jeep'.
Wynn

mx5fan
02-04-2010, 08:15 PM
To be perfectly honest, I've not thought about my finger prints on my ammo, but now that I have thought about it for a few seconds...it's just not my style.

I'm with Jeep on this one and +2 on the "good post".

mr surveyor
02-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Like I said, I don't condone it...
The admins are more then welcome to delete the thread if they choose to.

yes, I read your original post where you said you did not condone leaving the scene of a SD shooting. Then a few posts later I noticed you said: "So maybe just maybe I won’t want to stick around for the aftermath, of a bunch of gang members wanting to take out the guy that shot their boy." That's the statement the leaves me a bit confused. When trying to figure out the reasoning behind wiping you fingerprints from your ammunition, and putting the above statement into the same context, it sounds like a suggestion to attempt to remove any evidence that you may have been involved in a SD shooting. I'm wondering now what the whole point is regarding wiping your prints off the casings. Sure, you can wear surgical gloves to open your new box of ammo, load your mags, and only handle the gun while wearing the gloves. I'd doubt there's a crime there for sure, So, please explain to us...or me, how this in any way relates to use of the handgun in a SD shooting.

Just trying to understand

surv

steve666
02-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Jeep does have it absolutely right except for one thing, it sounds like Charles Bronson (Death Wish) not John Wayne!!!:crazy:

Vinikahr
02-05-2010, 08:18 AM
When persons are contradicting themselves, it is a possible sign of phishing for something. The internet culture has deemed this type of individuals as trolls, and do not waste you time understanding them since they have no logic or make no sense. Possible cure is not to feed them. With that said, I am not saying that OP is a troll, but sure is acting like one.:typing:

swampman
02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
When persons are contradicting themselves, it is a possible sign of phishing for something. The internet culture has deemed this type of individuals as trolls, and do not waste you time understanding them since they have no logic or make no sense. Possible cure is not to feed them. With that said, I am not saying that OP is a troll, but sure is acting like one.:typing:
good shot vinikahr :D

jeep45238
02-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Jeep does have it absolutely right except for one thing, it sounds like Charles Bronson (Death Wish) not John Wayne!!!:crazy:

Close 'nuff :biggrin1:

Bot
02-05-2010, 01:58 PM
cooper&black
I do the same and so does everybody I know. I use gloves instead lol. Keep doing what your doing. If you want to take protecting yourself a step further, email or message me.

Bawanna
02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
cooper&black
I do the same and so does everybody I know. I use gloves instead lol. Keep doing what your doing. If you want to take protecting yourself a step further, email or message me.

Come on Bot, don't go sneaky sneaky on the rest of us. Maybe we're missing something. I do wipe my rounds but just to make sure they are clean, keep them from tarnishing since I reload and because I like fondling bullets almost as much as guns and other stuff that Jocko won't allow me to talk about.
Out with it. Please?:behindsofa:

medezyner
02-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Dont feed the troller, its a waste of time.

swampman
02-05-2010, 02:22 PM
cooper&black
are your fingerprints in a database somewhere?why do you need to protect yourself if you are not commitig a crime,or is that the intent

swampman
02-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Dont feed the troller, its a waste of time.
you are right medezyner,vinikahr just suggested that,how quickly my mind slips. :D

fitzgood
02-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I don't do this but there is one reason I can think of to take steps to not have your finger prints on casings. That would be to protect against somebody picking up your casings and putting them at a crime scene and thereby frame you for a crime you had nothing to do with. Unlikely, but possible I suppose.

Raoul
02-05-2010, 03:50 PM
There's nothing wrong with being paranoid.

TheSorb
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
That would be to protect against somebody picking up your casings and putting them at a crime scene and thereby frame you for a crime you had nothing to do with. Unlikely, but possible I suppose.

Not so unlikely these days...you can never be too careful!:ohmy:

ltxi
02-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Me...only if it's a cold gun.

Bigcube
02-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Not to add fuel to the fire but it is a good idea to not have oil from your paws on the brass. If you load and unload magazines often the oil from your fingers can cause miss-fires. I don't just because I'm too lazy to wipe them off. :D

Vinikahr
02-05-2010, 05:14 PM
There's nothing wrong with being paranoid.

Paranoid yes, careful no.

Vinikahr
02-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Not to add fuel to the fire but it is a good idea to not have oil from your paws on the brass. If you load and unload magazines often the oil from your fingers can cause miss-fires. I don't just because I'm too lazy to wipe them off. :D

Simple solution to this predicament use gloves.:D

mr surveyor
02-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't think I have ever heard anyone suggest the oil from one's hands can build up enough on brass casings to cause a misfire or any other malfunction.

Any stories to share along those lines?

surv

Bigcube
02-05-2010, 06:18 PM
When I took my self defense class the instructor was an ex-cop. He mentioned that there was an officer in the department that unloaded his magazines every night and reloaded them in the morning. When he finally used the ammo it had a high miss fire rate. The oil and the wear and tear on the brass from loading and unloading caused weak spots in the case.

Josey Wales
02-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I wipe the nose of each round I load with my silicone rag. I find it makes feeding as smooth as glass, never had a misfire yet. I rotate and shoot carry ammo each practice, think I am taking a chance? should I not do this?

Bawanna
02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
I wipe the nose of each round I load with my silicone rag. I find it makes feeding as smooth as glass, never had a misfire yet. I rotate and shoot carry ammo each practice, think I am taking a chance? should I not do this?

I do the exact same thing. When I go to the range the first gun up is my carry gun just like its been carried. I don't do anything to prep or help it. Shoot whats in the mag and usually one of the two extra mags and see what happens. That way I get fresh cartridges each month or so, no worries about the top round that may have been cycled a few times and all is good.

Raoul
02-06-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't think I have ever heard anyone suggest the oil from one's hands can build up enough on brass casings to cause a misfire or any other malfunction.

Any stories to share along those lines?

surv

Loading and unloading the same rounds can cause the bullet to be pushed deeper into the cartridge. This changes the whole dynamic of the round because the OAL is off. I have seen some threads on other forums about this.

jeep45238
02-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Loading and unloading the same rounds can cause the bullet to be pushed deeper into the cartridge. This changes the whole dynamic of the round because the OAL is off. I have seen some threads on other forums about this.

Loading into the CHAMBER, yes, by jamming into the feed ramp. NOT loading into the mag.

I've also seen people literally put the cartridge primer side up and let various sorts of oils sit on top for over 2 weeks, without a problem.

Always a good idea to periodically switch out your carry ammo anyways.

Natron
02-07-2010, 06:46 AM
I know it has already been said, but Jeep makes excellent points.

I usually go to parties on Friday nights and bring 3 magazines and a bunch of rounds. I then hand a magazine along with 7 rounds to 3 different friends. I then tell them to race to see who can load the rounds into the magazines the quickest.

Booom, problem solved. I get my 3 SD mags loaded and my fingerprints are on none of the rounds.

I keed, I keed

Natron

medezyner
02-07-2010, 01:23 PM
It would seem that if youre handling your rounds that much to cause a problem, youre not practicing enough, just fondling. (Not that fondling is a bad thing.) I just don’t see that a single loading of a mag could create feed issues. Long term handling and fondling of the rounds may also leave salts from touching, not just oils. Also if my CCW is that sensitive, it wouldn’t be my CCW...period.

Valkyrie
02-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Jeep,

Leaving the scene of a shooting in which you have been involved, even with calling the police, is going to exacerbate the fact that you have been involved in a shooting, righteous or not. There have a been a number of documented cases (by Ayoob) where fleeing the scene of a clean shooting garnered an otherwise innocent citizen some jail time. Flight is seen by many as evidence of guilt, whether that concept is correct or not.

You have further left the scene without adequate reason. A reasonable man might understand you leaving the scene due to an angry mob, but leaving because you THINK that the bad guys MIGHT have avenging buddies on the way will cast dispersions of doubt on your actions.

In addition, by leaving the scene of the shooting you are leaving behind any evidence that may exonerate your actions. Did they both pull knives on you or threaten you with blunt weapons of some kind? If you leave the scene you better believe evidence that would corroborate your story will disappear.

I have trained extensively in the five years that I have been carrying and some of the best courses that I have taken deal with the aftermath of the shooting. The correct way is to make sure that you look like the good guy. A big part of it is to address others who are present by, "Check around! Did they hurt anyone? Are all of you okay?"

Also, insist that those present call for an ambulance to seek aid for those that attacked you. In addition to showing your concern for bystanders, caution them NOT to approach the bad guys because "They might still be armed and are STILL dangerous!" This puts the idea into their heads that the guys that you shot are the dangerous and criminal party. Also, showing concern for the welfare of bystanders will make you look like the good guy and they will remember that. Conversely, shooting two guys and then jumping in your car and tearing out of there will also tell witnesses something about you and none of it will be good.

Finally, when the police get there and (you have reholstered your gun) you identify yourself, you should point out witnesses, weapons, evidence and then, as you suggested, exercise your right to remain silent.

A lot of the info that I have shared here came from classes that I have taken from Massad Ayoob and is solid info garnered from real experiences in both criminal and civil trials. More shooters who carry should get trained by reputable instructors with years of experience. Many friends who I encourage to do so often retort, "They are expensive, I would rather put that money into ammo."

Due to the classes that my wife and I have taken, we are much less likely to get involved in a shooting because of our awareness of our surroundings, knowledge of criminal behavior and how to avoid it.
Sorry that this went so long, but I thought that this would be a good time to share some information and perhaps keep some good guys from being perceived as bad guys.

Stay safe and check 360

jeep45238
02-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Val,

I live less than 5 miles from the most dangerous neighborhood in America (as of 2009). I'm a racial minority (white) in a town that likes to hold race riots and pound bricks into the skulls of truck drivers doing their job - because the truck drive is white. I've gotten 2 emails in the period of 3 days from my college about armed robber and rape. Almost all crimes within the past year have 2-3 criminals directly violating the victim - and a fair amount of them have gang ties.

There is no way in hell I'm going to hang around a scene where I just had to do one of the most horrific things in my life to go home to my family in that situation. No way in hell. I will dial 911, report being a victim of violent crime and took action to live. I will talk to police, but not without a lawyer present. That 911 call will record me being a victim, will get an ambulance to the criminal bastard who attempted to take my life.

I completely agree with you about taking courses, and have at least one advanced concealed carry based course per year since I've been carrying.

The BEST solution is to AVOID the situation from the get go - but there is no way in hell I'm going to stay around in this town.

swampman
02-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Jeep,

Leaving the scene of a shooting in which you have been involved, even with calling the police, is going to exacerbate the fact that you have been involved in a shooting, righteous or not. There have a been a number of documented cases (by Ayoob) where fleeing the scene of a clean shooting garnered an otherwise innocent citizen some jail time. Flight is scene by many as evidence of guilt, whether that concept is correct or not.

You have further left the scene without adequate reason. A reasonable man might understand you leaving the scene due to an angry mob, but leaving because you THINK that the bad guys MIGHT have avenging buddies on the way will cast dispersions of doubt on your actions.

Ithatsn addition, by leaving the scene of the shooting you are leaving behind any evidence that may exonerate your actions. Did they both pull knives on you or threaten you with blunt weapons of some kind? If you leave the scene you better believe evidence that would corroborate your story will disappear.

I have trained extensively in the five years that I have been carrying and some of the best courses that I have taken deal with the aftermath of the shooting. The correct way is to make sure that you look like the good guy. A big part of it is to address others who are present by, "Check around! Did they hurt anyone? Are all of you okay?"

Also, insist that those present call for an ambulance to seek aid for those that attacked you. In addition to showing your concern for bystanders, caution them NOT to approach the bad guys because "They might still be armed and are STILL dangerous!" This puts the idea into their heads that the guys that you shot are the dangerous and criminal party. Also, showing concern for the welfare of bystanders will make you look like the good guy and they will remember that. Conversely, shooting two guys and then jumping in your car and tearing out of there will also tell witnesses something about you and none of it will be good.

Finally, when the police get there and (you have reholstered your gun) you identify yourself, you should point out witnesses, weapons, evidence and then, as you suggested, exercise your right to remain silent.

A lot of the info that I have shared here came from classes that I have taken from Massad Ayoob and is solid info garnered from real experiences in both criminal and civil trials. More shooters who carry should get trained by reputable instructors with years of experience. Many friends who I encourage to do so often retort, "They are expensive, I would rather put that money into ammo."

Due to the classes that my wife and I have taken, we are much less likely to get involved in a shooting because of our awareness of our surroundings, knowledge of criminal behavior and how to avoid.

Sorry that this went so long, but I thought that this would be a good time to share some information and perhaps keep some good guys from being perceived as bad guys.

Stay safe and check 360
thats what I was trying say earlyer on this post,but I didnt want to feed the trolls. :D

Raoul
02-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Jeep,

Leaving the scene of a shooting in which you have been involved, even with calling the police, is going to exacerbate the fact that you have been involved in a shooting, righteous or not. There have a been a number of documented cases (by Ayoob) where fleeing the scene of a clean shooting garnered an otherwise innocent citizen some jail time. Flight is scene by many as evidence of guilt, whether that concept is correct or not.

In addition, by leaving the scene of the shooting you are leaving behind any evidence that may exonerate your actions. Did they both pull knives on you or threaten you with blunt weapons of some kind? If you leave the scene you better believe evidence that would corroborate your story will disappear.

Due to the classes that my wife and I have taken, we are much less likely to get involved in a shooting because of our awareness of our surroundings, knowledge of criminal behavior and how to avoid.

Stay safe and check 360

Good post!

ltxi
02-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Good advice....although my personal preference is and always has been, if at all untraceably practical, stk..bail..lose the gun. No, I'm not joking.

N.D.
02-24-2010, 10:03 PM
How do they have nothing to do with it...I was merely painting a picture, that if you are involved in a court case with people like gang members it's a lose lose situation, even if justice is served, the rest of the gang is after you. So maybe just maybe I won’t want to stick around for the aftermath, of a bunch of gang members wanting to take out the guy that shot their boy.
They wanted to take out my brother in law, only b/c he said "Yeah, those are the guys that tried to kill me"

Ah . . I wouldn't post some thing like that on the net you could be putting your *it in a wringer if some thing were to happen an you were investigated because of it whether the scenario matched or not, as it could be used to impeach your character, ETC..

N.D.