PDA

View Full Version : First Kahr

cjjohn
02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Hello all, I picked up my first Kahr today. I got a CM9 and have already gained a world of knowledge about these little guns from here. I've been shooting a long time and am traditionally a 1911 guy, and carry a Kimber Pro CDP most days. I was looking for something a little smaller and chose the CM9 after shooting a PM9 and reading up a bunch. I was suprised how stiff / gritty everything was when I first took it out of the box. It will get a good clean and lube this evening, and I'm going to try to run a couple hundred through it by this weekend so I can add it to my CCW.

Tinman507
02-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Welcome to KahrWorld!
Be sure to read the stickies on Lube & Prep. It will help you have a good experience for the first range trip.

Lots of knowledgable folks here on Kahrs and guns in general.
Enjoy the experience and welcome aboard!

Hognutz
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Congrats on the new CM9. Follow the instructions, and it will serve you well. They are a great concealed carry gun. Small, easily concealed, extremely accurate, and have a smooth as butter trigger. Enjoy your new weapon..

cjjohn
02-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks Gents! I'm anxious to see how it works out. My wife is getting her CCW and she loves my LC9 (she also has a Ruger SP101) so I have a feeling I'll be signing that over to her. There is no way she could rack the slide on this thing right now. I hope it losens up enough for her to function as well as she can the LC9.

cjjohn
02-22-2012, 07:21 AM
After dinner last night I did the strip, clean, and re-lube per the sticky. This is BY FAR the dirtiest new gun I have ever seen. The slide is sticky, the mag sticks, etc...I did rack the slide about 350 times, and dry fired it a bunch, hopefully ti will smooth out. What I did notice and really liked are the few number of parts to this thing.

Ken_K
02-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Mine was the same way, gritty and dirty. I cleaned everything up with some weaponshield, racked the slide 500 times, cleaned it again and headed out to the range. You'll be surprised what 200 rounds will do for smoothing everything out. The spring seems to stay pretty stiff though.

cjjohn
02-23-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm planning on speniding some time at the range today! I want to run AT LEAST 200 through it and see what happens.

Bill K
02-23-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm planning on speniding some time at the range today! I want to run AT LEAST 200 through it and see what happens.

Welcome to KahrTalk.

For the most part the CM9s have been without issue right out of the box. I hope the same is true for your CM9. Best of luck with your range session.

muggsy
02-23-2012, 08:06 AM
CJ, the gun will loosen up, but it will never rack as easily as a 1911. Be sure to by a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner to keep the striker channel clean and you shouldn't have any problems with light primer strikes. Don't lube the striker channel. Other than that there is no special maintenance required.

JFootin
02-23-2012, 08:28 AM
CJ, the gun will loosen up, but it will never rack as easily as a 1911. Be sure to by a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner to keep the striker channel clean and you shouldn't have any problems with light primer strikes. Don't lube the striker channel. Other than that there is no special maintenance required.

One thing I would mention is to read the instructions about replacing the slide stop when assembling the gun. The lever has to be alligned correctly so that the slide stop spring goes into the correct position on top of the lever. Otherwise, you can bend the spring and it won't function correctly.

cjjohn
02-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the info. I ned to look into the slide stop assembly a little more. I'll write up how it went.

cjjohn
02-23-2012, 01:52 PM
It's redeemed itself!!! I was NOT a happy camper when I took this gun out of the box and I began to regret my decision to buy it. I fired 200 rounds at lunch today and am stoked. It is extrememly accurate (no pics but silver dollar sized groups at 10 yards) the trigger is getting better every shot, and I had NO issues at all. In fact as soon as I get another couple of mags (already on order) this is will be on my CCW and in rotation. I'll run a couple of boxes of SD ammo first, but all indicators right now are that it will be ifne.

Ken_K
02-23-2012, 03:00 PM
200 rounds seems to do the trick. I hope it's not raining this weekend, got a bucket of handloads to put through mine :)

cjjohn
02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
I grew up around guns, spent 8 years in the 'Corps, and have a pretty nice assortment of weapons so I don't get too excited about a new gun. The last weapon I bought was a Walther ppq, it didn't wow me like this little Kahr. I have always avoided them due to the affiliation with the "moonies". I think I've been missing out. This is a well designed weapon and it's perfect for CCW purposes. The recoil was minimal and follow up shots were VERY quick, I even got scolded by the RO foir "rapid fire". If your reading this and thinking about getting one...just do it. I had absolutely ZERO issues during the first 200 rounds.

jocko
02-23-2012, 04:06 PM
cjjohn, staying away from kahrs because of misinformation about the moonies is like not flying an airplace becuase that god awful ugly ass nancy Pelose, flys in an airplane, when her broom handle is in for some service. Can u image the horrible time that broom handly must be having when it is between Pelosi's legs.. Just sayin!

cjjohn
02-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Jocko, I've just always loved 1911s. I have Sigs, Walthers, Glocks, CZs, Rugers, etc... you get the picture. I always looked at the Kahrs as being "out there". Then a few months ago I started reading a little about them, and got the opportunity to shoot a PM9 a few rounds, thought it was ok. Since then I started reading more found a good deal on this CM9 so pulled the trigger. I've also changed my philosophy on CCW weapons of choice. 1911's are great, but every one knows they can be picky. PLus, in self defense less (actions required to fire) is more. I am really leaning towards point and squeeze and don't want to deal with a safety. In addition my wife is getting her CCW and her training is basically the same. My point is; if God forbid she needs to use my weapon to defend herself or our family I don't want her trying to figure out how to operate a 1911 in a stressful situation.
She definately didn;t miss any branches when she fell out of the ugly tree(Nancy not my wife)! A friend and I wondered though, do you think she was hot when she was young??
Also, I checked out your pics, that is a great looking piece! I hope you don;t mind, but I've already sent Magna Port an e-mail and plan on having mine ported, I bet follow up shots are simply amazing with that done! I'll post pics as I go, but I plan on having fun with this gun!

jocko
02-23-2012, 05:54 PM
pOLOSIE WAS NEVER "HOT" U will like the magna port, u can just send the barreland slide to them regular mail and in about 10 days it willbe backhom.e. Not nly works great but also looks great. U gotta know over on any 1911 forum to say a 1911 can be picky is blasphemy. as long as u don't expect the same accuray with your kahr as a 1911 can give sue to SA operation, then ur gonnna love the PM9. Mine is a real pain in the ass, at 32k + i T UST RUNS LIKE THE DURACELL BATTERY. When one gets one going right, they are unbeatable. What ever u do before porting it be vbery sure the gun is totally reliable, then pull the plug and do it.

ctrcs
02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
A trick I learned to line up the arrows is to use the square end of a chopstick to keep it open and then all you have to do is push the pin out. Mine had some problems in the first 50 rounds or so and by 200 was working much better.

cjjohn
02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
I know what you mean about saying that being blasphemy. But im not one to suger coat things. I always thought it was like picking up a turd by the clean end. Same thing with Glocks. I agree about making sure its 100% and planned on it. I was looking at a Glock 36 to replace my Kimber that I carry. Now Im thinking maybe a Kahr in 45?????

Ken_K
02-24-2012, 07:12 AM
1911's are great, but every one knows they can be picky.

The majority of all problems with a WELL BUILT 1911 are magazine related, the rest are for the most part worn out recoil springs and poorly manufactured ammunition. Now with a slapped together 1911 in which the company used John Browning's original specs as a rough guideline, the sky is the limit on what could be causing malfunctions.

Disclaimer: I am not a gun smith, but I play one sometimes in the middle of the living room much to my gf's dismay!

cjjohn
02-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Ken, you are right. I have a couple, and I carry a Kimber PRO CDP most days that I bobtailed. It has been fantastic and I love it. And aside from recoil springs zero issues. It is a little picky on which hollow points, but once I found what it likes I just keep it on the same diet! I also bought and use good magazines wiht no issues either.
My ONLY reasoning on replacing it on my CCW is for my wife. KISS, keep it simple stupid. I don't want her fumbling with a 1911 if I go down. I want all of our carry platforms to operate the same.

Ken_K
02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Nice pistol man! Commonality between carry weapons does keep it simple, a very nice thing when in the middle of a stressful situation. I have a G19, cm9, and sr1911. Out of those three my gf prefers the 1911 and doesn't even care to shoot the others lol. So far the ruger has ate everything I've fed it, 230gr hp, lrn, fmj, and 200gr cast swc.

cjjohn
02-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Oh man I want one of the SR1911. It's another one that's on my list! Kind of a pain to get here in the PRK, but worth it from what I hear. I think my next 45 may be a PM 45 though. I wish Kahr made an all steel 45 like the MK9/MK40 and the elites are beautiful guns............

Ken_K
02-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Check this beauty out http://www.cylinder-slide.com/reproduction.shtml

Yeah, it's $5k but it's worth drooling over.....just make sure you cover your keyboard before clicking that link lol.

cjjohn
02-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Ken, that is a beautiful piece! Definately starts the drooling!!!

Fireman489
02-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi guys, Im new to Kahr pistols, but just got a brand new PM9 from my uncle who hated it (for poor unsubstantiated reasons). After reading this forum , what exactly is the difference between the CM9 & the PM9 ? So far, I love carrying the PM and it shoots accurately enough for me to harvest a wild hog on video w/ it from 5yds w a head shot......so, who cares what my uncle says,....... Im happy......lol

Thanks

jocko
02-26-2012, 05:00 PM
u got the best gun for all the bells andwhistle on it. cm9 and PM9 both basicaly the same exact gun, one has all the bells and whistle, the othert has no whistles and some bells but no ringer inside the bells.

Nice shot on the hog by the way... My best buddy shot a hughe hog at 3 yards, he is due to be released in 2048..:popcorn:

Fireman489
02-26-2012, 05:16 PM
lol Thanks.....best part was he sold it to me w 2 mags & a Don Hume holster for $400:D.....he only shot 25 rounds w it......I like it so much I think I may sell my wife's G23 & get her a PM 9 too.....

jocko
02-26-2012, 06:01 PM
lol Thanks.....best part was he sold it to me w 2 mags & a Don Hume holster for $400:D.....he only shot 25 rounds w it......I like it so much I think I may sell my wife's G23 & get her a PM 9 too.....

jump off the bridge and do that, let your wife see if she can rack the slide on the pM9, It ain't no glock, trust me, it is alot harder to hand rack than any glock ever was. Other than that if she can do it easily, it might make her a nice gun. test her out to se eif she can clear the gun to for any missfire or jam the weapon must be hand cleared, again I have seen to many women that justcannot do it. What works grea for you might just be a diseaster for her. If she is comforatalb ewith the G23, personaly I wouldnot rock the boat.:cheer2:

of course her going from a 40 cal to a 9mm will be a nice change for her to. A cw9 would also make her a dandy 9mm , as she ain't gonna pocket carry a PM9 and where ever that G23 went that cw9 would go so so much easeir to.