PDA

View Full Version : "L" on trigger guard of an MK9??

ArmedProgrammer
02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Does anyone have an clue what this means? Or is it normal? It is very clearly an "L" and not a "U".

Any help appreciated.

muggsy
02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Does anyone have an clue what this means? Or is it normal? It is very clearly an "L" and not a "U".

Any help appreciated.

That's a left handed model made especially for JFootin. They are very rare and much sought after.

kerby9mm
02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Don't know what that is. How old is the gun GA or GC series?

Bawanna
02-22-2012, 12:57 PM
It's a witness mark for the molding process they all have it. Nothing to worry about. Crap, wrong question.

I don't know the answer to that question but I'll see what I can find out. I have people that are wicked smart. I'll get back to ya.

ArmedProgrammer
02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
That's a left handed model made especially for JFootin. They are very rare and much sought after.

As I'm new around here... and don't know anyone - I'll take that in jest... :D

Thanks Bawanna, kerby, et al. for looking into it. V much appreciate any light you can shed on it! Serial is GC1177 if that helps.

kerby9mm
02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
I have a GC51XX and don't have any mark. Where is the location of the mark on the tguard?

ArmedProgrammer
02-22-2012, 01:20 PM
It is on the side of the trigger guard, off hand side (for a rightie). At the base of the triangle formed by the front of the trigger guard. It's a pretty obvious location for a mark of some type. I'll try to snap a pic and post it.

ArmedProgrammer
02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Here's a pic

http://i42.tinypic.com/2rgfhit.jpg

kerby9mm
02-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Yep That's an obvious L. I am with you I want to know the answer. Someone on this forum must know if not a call to Kahr will solve this mystery!

Bawanna
02-22-2012, 01:55 PM
I have a message in to try and answer this question. Seems like I've seen that before but I'm clueless what it means.

While we're waiting would anyone care to listen to my version of Moon River?

Oh, your lucky day, we don't have sound. My bad.

Ikeo74
02-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I think it means "Lazer" made for triggerguard lazer Crimson Trace.

kerby9mm
02-22-2012, 02:07 PM
I looked on the tech page and dated your mk9. GC03XX Dec 1998. GC18XX Mar 2002. Yours was made sometime in between. Doesn't help with the L just thought you might want to know.

wyntrout
02-22-2012, 02:15 PM
I can picture a group of Kahr assemblers laughing and rolling on the floor after putting the "L" on ONE pistol... thinking about all of the confusion that would cause. It means "LAUGH":D

Wynn:)

ArmedProgrammer
02-22-2012, 02:26 PM
The plot thickens... I spoke to a gentleman at Kahr service. The only stamps that he (or his boss) are aware of is U, P, or B. I have sent them the pic above, and I'll share anything I get back. Bawanna, your sources may be better than that though.

For the record: U = Used (sent back for service or something) P = Proof (proof fired before being exported overseas B = blemish

We shall see....

TriggerMan
02-22-2012, 02:29 PM
It is on the side of the trigger guard, off hand side (for a rightie). At the base of the triangle formed by the front of the trigger guard. It's a pretty obvious location for a mark of some type. I'll try to snap a pic and post it.
Any chance that is a U or B which slipped past the much heralded Kahr QC?:cool:

ArmedProgrammer
02-22-2012, 02:29 PM
I looked on the tech page and dated your mk9. GC03XX Dec 1998. GC18XX Mar 2002. Yours was made sometime in between. Doesn't help with the L just thought you might want to know.

I can now add mine to the "known" list. Kahr folks say GC1177 is Mar 2000.

That would fit about right.

ArmedProgrammer
02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Any chance that is a U or B which slipped past the much heralded Kahr QC?:cool:

Entirely possible - but look at the pic - if so - that's a HECK of a U or B...

Or they had a dyslexic person on the stamping station that day....:eek: :D

I guess that it's always possible that someone else stamped their MK9 along the way... but it sure doesn't look like it.

jocko
02-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I have a message in to try and answer this question. Seems like I've seen that before but I'm clueless what it means.

While we're waiting would anyone care to listen to my version of Moon River?

Oh, your lucky day, we don't have sound. My bad.

at leat u got that right!!!:D

wyntrout
02-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Wait until someone finds an "R" on the right side.

Bawanna
02-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Or a BGIF!:eek: Barrel goes in front. Sometimes I amaze myself.

wyntrout
02-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Bad Guy In Front?? Labeling like a Claymore Mine! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg/300px-US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

Tinman507
02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Clack On - Clack Off - The Clacker

http://www.fototime.com/CD41534974C6E9E/orig.jpg

ArmedProgrammer
02-22-2012, 04:04 PM

Sorry to disappoint.... :D

For the "Front Toward Enemy" folks - there is a gun shop by that name in Demotte, IN.... :p

Somehow I knew that this sort of thread would start all of the fun....

I double checked with the fellow who I bought it from. He indicates that it's not been out of his possession... but he's apparently not the original owner. :cool:

Always fun following the trail...

The saga continues...:roll:

ripley16
02-22-2012, 04:28 PM
The plot thickens... I spoke to a gentleman at Kahr service. The only stamps that he (or his boss) are aware of is U, P, or B. I have sent them the pic above, and I'll share anything I get back. Bawanna, your sources may be better than that though.

For the record: U = Used (sent back for service or something) P = Proof (proof fired before being exported overseas B = blemish

We shall see....

and...

Originally Posted by wyntrout

The "R" mystery has already been posted a while back. If memory serves someone found a R on a barrel hood, or similar place and we couldn't solve that question either.

I have a "B" marked gun and I, ahem, prefer to think it stands for beautiful.;)

I think the "U" guns were show demo guns that were refurbished and sold with a warranty.

muggsy
02-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Sing solo, Bawanna. So low we can't hear it.

muggsy
02-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Since the L is on the left side of the gun it stands to reason that it mean left. Or possibly that it's the long slide version frame. Could be that Kahr put it there just to make us wonder. It may be an inverted 7. The possibilities are endless. :)

Tinman507
02-23-2012, 04:34 AM
The gun used to be owned by Laverne of Laverne & Shirley fame

http://www.judithgeiger.com/egg/laverneandshirley/pics/laverne.jpg

muggsy
02-23-2012, 05:21 AM
As I'm new around here... and don't know anyone - I'll take that in jest... :D

Thanks Bawanna, kerby, et al. for looking into it. V much appreciate any light you can shed on it! Serial is GC1177 if that helps.

You can take just about everything I say in jest, cept when I'm discussing Obummer. :)

Bawanna
02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
I heard back from my source on the mysterious L. Here's the response.

"I found out that the gun was made in March of 2000. We never stamped an "L" on any gun. The gun was sold to a law enforcement distributor. I am guessing the gun was previously owned by a police department who may have put the letter designation on the gun. Kahr did not do it."

I saw the picture and it clearly looked like an "L" to me. The only letters stamped by Kahr that I'm aware of and confirmed are as follows.

U= is a used refurbished gun, like a demo or sample

B= is a gun with some sort of defect usually cosmetic only and I think it has a warranty.

P= is a proof marked gun for export to countries that require it.

muggsy
02-23-2012, 05:24 PM
It's about time. Now maybe I can sleep.

jocko
02-23-2012, 05:50 PM
iF THAT GUN WAS IN OL JOCKO'[S HANDS tHE "l" COULD STAND FOR LOOSER!!! jUST SAYIN.

jeepster09
02-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Or LUCKY....

wyntrout
02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Looser as in less tight. Maybe you mean loser... one who loses.

Loose... like goose.

Lose... like shoes. It's English... lead = led or like bleed... weird.

ArmedProgrammer
02-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Interesting - thank you Bawanna for digging that up - it jives with what I heard. The Law enforcement part I had not heard. That said, it makes sense.

jeepster09
02-26-2012, 08:19 AM
It is a LEFT handed version.....