PDA

View Full Version : Recoil Spring

knkali
02-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I have been doing a lot of dry fire work and wonder if I should count each time I cycle the gun as a rnd toward replacement of the recoil spring. If so, the dry fire work adds up quick to the 1500-2000 rnd count recommended for replacement by Kahr.

MW surveyor
02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Do you do a full rack or only just enough to reset the striker? Bet it makes a difference. If you only go the 1/2" or so, then you are probably OK.

That being said. My CW9 has over 2,500 rounds on the same spring with no loss of function (as of yet).

cesande
02-23-2012, 05:01 PM
On the phone today with Kahr that exact thing came up.
He said that we should treat 1000 hand racks like around 100 to 200 live rounds.
Told him that I had close to 1000 hand racks and close to 1000 rounds and he said that I should consider that at least 1000 rounds and maybe a touch more.
Hope that helps.

Bawanna
02-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Personally I'd not worry about it. I've never replaced a recoil spring in any of my personal guns ever. I keep thinking I'll order some for each to have on hand but as long as they run I don't mess with them.

I have replaced recoil springs on dept Beretta's and Glocks but do that rarely also.

If I had a P380 I'd probably replace that one every 1000 or so just to be safe but I don't see a 380 in my future.

muggsy
02-23-2012, 05:31 PM
I can see a P380 in my future. I'd like to replace my P3AT. I've only replaced one recoil spring in my life and that was in my CM9. Like you Bawanna, if it ain't broke I don't fix it.

knkali
02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
On the phone today with Kahr that exact thing came up.
He said that we should treat 1000 hand racks like around 100 to 200 live rounds.
Told him that I had close to 1000 hand racks and close to 1000 rounds and he said that I should consider that at least 1000 rounds and maybe a touch more.
Hope that helps.

Helps a lot...thanks!

knkali
02-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Personally I'd not worry about it. I've never replaced a recoil spring in any of my personal guns ever. I keep thinking I'll order some for each to have on hand but as long as they run I don't mess with them.

I have replaced recoil springs on dept Beretta's and Glocks but do that rarely also.

If I had a P380 I'd probably replace that one every 1000 or so just to be safe but I don't see a 380 in my future.

Bawanna, even I think your life is worth $8 --the cost of a recoil spring. Do it. The life you may save may be your own or someone you love. I could go into Murphy's law now too if you would like.

Bawanna
02-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Bawanna, even I think your life is worth $8 --the cost of a recoil spring. Do it. The life you may save may be your own or someone you love. I could go into Murphy's law now too if you would like.

Me and Murphy are very intimate, I don't know how he has time for anyone else, he spends so much time with me.

The way I think I could replace a spring and I'd get one that was defective, the old one would take it personally and my gun would forever more be plagued with problems and issues.
Guns and springs have feelings you know. Murphy told me so.

ltxi
02-23-2012, 06:58 PM
x2...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Especially with SD weapons. And if you do mess with the springs, for reason or not, run it for at least a hundred rounds w/representative carry ammunition before you trust it again.

Condescending reply, kinkali. Bawanna's a btdt vet...and too polite to point that out himself.

Scoundrel
02-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Guns and springs have feelings you know. Murphy told me so.

That is why you must carefully clean and lubricate the old recoil spring, thank it sincerely for its selfless service to you, promise to use it for practice from time to time, and put it in a ziploc bag with other extra/retired gun parts to keep it company. Then you'll be good to go.

That's what I did with mine.

knkali
02-23-2012, 08:12 PM
That is why you must carefully clean and lubricate the old recoil spring, thank it sincerely for its selfless service to you, promise to use it for practice from time to time, and put it in a ziploc bag with other extra/retired gun parts to keep it company. Then you'll be good to go.

That's what I did with mine.

Thats funny dude