PDA

View Full Version : grr grr grr ... Background check delays in VA

chrish
02-23-2012, 07:47 PM
New TP9 arrived at FFL today. Paperwork completed and background check submitted. Immediately went into 'hold' status. Aside from the fact that a check on a CCW holder is utterly stupid to begin with, gonna have to wait. Rumor is 3-4 business day delay in VA right now. On one hand, I guess that is a good thing...more guns being sold to law abiding citizens. But boy am I steamed!

LaP
02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
That's a good news/bad news situation. Like you stated, it's good there are so many guns being purchased.... but that means you're waiting longer for yours to pass thru the system.
When it finally arrives and you have that TP9 in your hands, none of this will matter. Relax.... go look at the Kahr website again. Download pictures of your new pistol. Dream of the new holster you're gonna need. ;)

TheTman
02-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Kansas recently enacted a law where if you have your CC permit, then you don't have to wait on the background check. That was great for me. For some reason, everytime I went to purchase a gun, it was held up for anywhere from and hour to overnight, but always went through. That made me leery of buying at gun shows particularly on Sunday, and being held up overnight. Then I'd have to find some local FFL and have the gun transferred to them and pay their transfer fee in addition to the gun and sales tax, then the local FFL would keep it until my background check cleared. Now all we have to do is show the permit and we can walk out with our purchase. Other states should follow this. If you have your CC permit, then you've already passed background checks, why have to go through all that again with every purchase.

OldLincoln
02-23-2012, 08:39 PM
In Fresno CA the sheriff's dept was backlogged 5K CCW applicants or about 6 mths worth. Finally a threatened 2A lawsuit changed their tactics and now they pretty much sign off and moved the backlog to the state level. I haven't heard of an impact but for my renewal it took 15 minutes and the fee.

chrish
02-23-2012, 09:22 PM
That's a good news/bad news situation. Like you stated, it's good there are so many guns being purchased.... but that means you're waiting longer for yours to pass thru the system.
When it finally arrives and you have that TP9 in your hands, none of this will matter. Relax.... go look at the Kahr website again. Download pictures of your new pistol. Dream of the new holster you're gonna need. ;)

LOL, been doing that already, before and after I bought it. If you've followed my few posts, I mentioned my TP9 vs PPQ dilemma numerous times. Obviously decided on the TP9. But I've been back to the site quite a few times. Funny thing is, I've got a P9 already, so basically I'm NUTS. That being said, was back in the GS today and saw .40 PPQ. Nice gun, but once you get used to the feel of a Kahr grip, particularly the polymer guns, it really wierd to hold anything thick and double stack. Handling the PPQ is nice, love that grip, but it sure is 'big' compared to even the big-ole TP9.

This whole delay thing is not THAT big of a deal, as you said, it'll come and go. But it just totally goes against the fiber of my being to have to continually jump thru these hoops. I don't believe in ANY gun control other than a steady hand, and this delay because of the poor system/process that VA has implemented just grates on my last nerve. They want a pat on the back for having one of the first good (their claim, not mine) systems in the country. Must be nice to justify taking a dump on the U.S. Constitution and saying you've done something 'good'.

superchief
02-23-2012, 09:39 PM
in texas, if you have a CHL, you don't have to do a NICS check. there is no state check. just sayin'. y'all are welcome to move down here if you get tired of the bs.

chrish
02-23-2012, 10:27 PM
in texas, if you have a CHL, you don't have to do a NICS check. there is no state check. just sayin'. y'all are welcome to move down here if you get tired of the bs.

thanks for the invite, your state is on my short list when NOVA ultimately gets overtaken by liberal, left ideology and our state enters the final stages of implosion. that is, if the entire country doesn't get there first.

tv_racin_fan
02-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I don't think the hold is about the number being sold. Course I really dunno since I don't got no wait since I got a permit. But I have seen guys get a hold and it can be from hours to days. The other day a guy got a three day hold, even if they do not hear anything back he can pick it up in three days and that is according to the LAW. Now that is just STUPID.

ripley16
02-24-2012, 05:24 AM
The most I've ever been delayed was about 20 minutes. Is there a reason the Va State Police are slowed up? They having computer problems or such? Where do you shop in NOVA, which FFL are you using?

If you can't wait; here's an open invitation to come down to Stafford and shoot my TP9.

Tinman507
02-24-2012, 05:38 AM
+1
I wish there was a way on this forum to +rep ya for that generous offer.
that's what's so cool about this forum. Really genuinely nice folks.
What a nice thing to do!!

chrish
02-24-2012, 08:10 AM
The most I've ever been delayed was about 20 minutes. Is there a reason the Va State Police are slowed up? They having computer problems or such? Where do you shop in NOVA, which FFL are you using?

If you can't wait; here's an open invitation to come down to Stafford and shoot my TP9.

I have no idea why the VA state police are back up, slowed down, whatever. I agree, its software, or it should be in some cases (CCW permit holders). Should not be slower b/c of a few hundred or few thousand gun purchases and it should be built to circle those of us with CCW permits around a manual review process. It's just completely ridiculous.

Thanks for the range time offer, but it's a bit of a drive for me. I'm not in NOVA, was just my commentary (good bad or ugly) about that part of the state pretty much skewing state politics in many if not most cases.

But I do get up that way for work sometimes and keep telling myself I need to hit the NRA range there in Alexandria. I hear that it's super nice.