PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Magazines

Michibay
02-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Hello...I am new here! Recently, I purchased a new (old stock) 1911 Auto Ordnance 1911 Deluxe .45 ACP test fired in 10/01 made in Worcester. It came with one 7 round magazine made by Killene Mfg. Ijust ordered from Auto Ordnance another magazine...it recently arrived...it's an 8 round with no name, but has two small holes at bottom and a logo that I am not familiar with. Can anyone tell me the difference and which one is best. The newest one has a more open flair to top and is easier to load. THANKS!!!

Bawanna
02-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Would be difficult to tell without seeing them. The only way to tell which is best is to go shoot and see which feeds best.
I'm a devout fan of Wilson 47D's my self. They are tough and they run forever.

jeep45238
02-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I'll pass on the 47D's. They completely bypass the control feed of the 1911 design, which is why they work in guns that are out of spec and won't properly feed and extract otherwise. I currently have only wadcutter feed lip guns with upgraded followers and 7 round high powered springs. All offer controlled feed, and are extremely reliable - I have been unable to cause a failure to feed, even when letting it limp wrist so bad the gun literally is above my head at a 75* rotation.

That's the beauty of controlled feed - as long as you've got a good mag spring, you'll enjoy revolver-like reliability - IF THE GUN IS IN SPEC.

Fire up the coffee pot and enjoy this read/pictorial. It does offer complete descriptions of the functions of the 1911 and of various mags.

Part 1:
1911 Magazine Analysis (http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/)

Part 2:
1911 Magazine Analysis Part 2 (http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/)

woodman
02-07-2010, 07:31 AM
I have wilson combat and chip mccormack shooting star mags for my .45's. The shooting stars work much better.

woodman
02-07-2010, 08:06 AM
I'll pass on the 47D's. They completely bypass the control feed of the 1911 design, which is why they work in guns that are out of spec and won't properly feed and extract otherwise. I currently have only wadcutter feed lip guns with upgraded followers and 7 round high powered springs. All offer controlled feed, and are extremely reliable - I have been unable to cause a failure to feed, even when letting it limp wrist so bad the gun literally is above my head at a 75* rotation.

That's the beauty of controlled feed - as long as you've got a good mag spring, you'll enjoy revolver-like reliability - IF THE GUN IS IN SPEC.

Fire up the coffee pot and enjoy this read/pictorial. It does offer complete descriptions of the functions of the 1911 and of various mags.

Part 1:
1911 Magazine Analysis (http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/)

Part 2:
1911 Magazine Analysis Part 2 (http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/)

Excellent article about the .45 magazines. I have several brands of magazines along with the tapered lip original magazine that came in my combat commander. I noticed the difference in the followers and feed lips but never gave it much thought until now. I may have to do some testing of my own.....thanks

swampman
02-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Excellent article about the .45 magazines. I have several brands of magazines along with the tapered lip original magazine that came in my combat commander. I noticed the difference in the followers and feed lips but never gave it much thought until now. I may have to do some testing of my own.....thanks
those things are hypnotizing,are you trying to hypnotize us. :D

woodman
02-07-2010, 10:14 AM
those things are hypnotizing,are you trying to hypnotize us. :D
Yes, I am going to hyptonize you all and turn you into Obama followers.:eek::biggrin1: hehehehe

swampman
02-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, I am going to hyptonize you all and turn you into Obama followers.:eek::biggrin1: hehehehe
I have been christened normble,I dont think that will work on the normble ones ,turn that around and hypnotise them away from Obama :D