PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Question

Athensm50
02-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Hey Guys.....Question.

It seems that my local gun shop guy makes a face each time I talk about the Winchester White Box from Wally World.....why is that.....can pick up a box of 100 for about $22 or $24 buck....Brass!!!!.....sure I understand he is wanting to sell ammo.....

so whats wrong with it???....

I have never had any NOT fire.....Just for plinkn.

and the Zombie Apocalypse :D

just wanted to get you guys 2 cents.

ltxi
02-25-2012, 05:31 PM
because he's a greedy ass. nothing wrong with it.

Athensm50
02-25-2012, 05:42 PM
because he's a greedy ass. nothing wrong with it.

Agreed!......made the statement "I won't touch that stuff"

just thought I had missed the post about crappy Winchester White box ammo

CJB
02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Greedy? No. He just cannot compete at that level.

Instead, he'll need to offer alternatives that will allow him to compete.

Nobody competes item and dollar with Wally, you need to find a value added product to keep afloat. Add value, add service (which is another value)... thats all that can be done, unless you have about four or five million to sink into runs of ammo like Wally does.

hss.strat
02-25-2012, 06:45 PM
It's fine for practice ammo. I've shot thousands of rounds of it without a problem that I can recall. It's not my choice ammo for shooting though. I personally like Federal American Eagle in 124 gr 9mm. My Glock 17 loves it and it shows on paper. You can get 1k rounds for about $240 shipped to your doorstep from LuckyGunner.com

LaP
02-25-2012, 09:58 PM
I would imagine you'd get the same reaction when you mention D**k's Sporting Goods, Cabelas, Gander Mountain and any of the hundreds of websites that sell ammo.
It's hard to compete with the big boys and the low overhead internet.

EDITED for content: WOW. I had to edit the reference to a major sports store because apparently it's censored.

TriggerMan
02-25-2012, 10:11 PM
It's fine for practice ammo. I've shot thousands of rounds of it without a problem that I can recall. It's not my choice ammo for shooting though. I personally like Federal American Eagle in 124 gr 9mm. My Glock 17 loves it and it shows on paper. You can get 1k rounds for about $240 shipped to your doorstep from LuckyGunner.comI just picked up 1,000 rounds of just that for $205 plus $19.xx for shipping. BulkAmmo.com

hss.strat
02-25-2012, 10:27 PM
I just picked up 1,000 rounds of just that for $205 plus $19.xx for shipping. BulkAmmo.com
Thanks for the heads up. I know where I'm getting it next.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

rkammer
02-25-2012, 10:37 PM
I just picked up 1,000 rounds of just that for $205 plus $19.xx for shipping. BulkAmmo.com

Just checked their site and couldn't find it.?????????

muggsy
02-26-2012, 07:27 AM
I'm not a fan of Winchester white box. It's not a very clean shooting brand of ammo. Kahr pistols are very tight and it doesn't take a lot of powder fowling to cause problems with cycling. If yours runs well with it and you don't mind gun cleaning go for it.

tv_racin_fan
02-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Why would you mention something about Wal Mart in any other store unless they promise to match any ad?

I presonally do not mind paying a bit more at the local shop than I do Wal Mart because it might make the difference in them staying in business. Wal Mart doesn't offer everything and I need that local shop as much if not more than I need Wal Mart. Now I will not pay very much more at the local shop for things I can get at Wal Mart because that doesn't make sense to MY wallet.

OldLincoln
02-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Greedy? No. He just cannot compete at that level.

Instead, he'll need to offer alternatives that will allow him to compete.

Nobody competes item and dollar with Wally, you need to find a value added product to keep afloat. Add value, add service (which is another value)... thats all that can be done, unless you have about four or five million to sink into runs of ammo like Wally does.

+1. A LGS has Kahr CM9's for over $500. At another, ammo runs 25% or so higher than mail order. I like the LGS but could not afford to buy major stuff from them but will pay more for the under $50 stuff. However, win the lotto and I'll be a very good customer.

Athensm50
02-26-2012, 12:02 PM
+1. A LGS has Kahr CM9's for over $500. At another, ammo runs 25% or so higher than mail order. I like the LGS but could not afford to buy major stuff from them but will pay more for the under $50 stuff. However, win the lotto and I'll be a very good customer.+1 as well

Scoundrel
02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
My LGS sells reloads for more than factory ammo goes for at "the big chains".
They also freaked out when I turned down a $1250 (out the door) AR-15 they wanted me to buy from them when I instead bought a nice S&W $750 (out the door) AR-15 from a local branch of a big chain that they could not get (none of their distributors had stock on it).

I've pretty much decided to stop shopping there. I like to support local businesses, but I don't like being taken advantage of and given attitude when I feel that $500 is enough of a difference to go elsewhere.

Note: The two rifles ($1250 and $750) were not "apples to apples". They were both S&W but one had a bunch of upgrades I didn't really need, and the inexpensive one actually had the features I wanted. I did a few upgrades to the $750 one and the total was probably closer to $950. So it was really a $300 difference. Still enough that they should have understood.

Local gun shops have their place, but they also need to remember their place.

ltxi
02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
I buy guns, supplies, and services from my LGSs. Never ammunition except for the occasional box of something I want to try out.

Diocoles
02-28-2012, 12:48 PM
I'll buy odds and ends at my LGS.
But ammo? No way. 2-3 times what I can get it for from Walmart or online.

My favorite sites for ammo are Sportsmansguide and Midway.
I see a few places now and then that are less expensive.

I will pay for my SD ammo, but my practice ammo is usually the lowest priced brass cased ammo.

I've tried the Wolf and such. My XD will eat that all day as will my AKs.

But my other pistols and precision rifles won't.

My average 1000 round purchase is from $180 out the door to as much as $225.

Last one at Walmart was $191 and some change.

muggsy
02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
+1. A LGS has Kahr CM9's for over $500. At another, ammo runs 25% or so higher than mail order. I like the LGS but could not afford to buy major stuff from them but will pay more for the under $50 stuff. However, win the lotto and I'll be a very good customer.

Who will you go to if you don't buy enough from him and he goes out of business? Does Walmart offer gunsmith services? Sometimes people can be very short sighted.

Ken_K
02-28-2012, 01:13 PM
I buy a few things from my LGS but not much. I bought my G19 from them, it was only $40 more otd then anyone else I could find. As far as ammo goes I load for everything I have except 12ga and .22. If you have an Academy close by you might check out their monarch brand of ammo. It's steel cased but I've never had an issue with it.

Scoundrel
02-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Who will you go to if you don't buy enough from him and he goes out of business? Does Walmart offer gunsmith services? Sometimes people can be very short sighted.

I can see this perspective, but there are shades of gray to everything. My LGS does not offer gunsmith services. Well, there is a local gunsmith guy they work with. They'll take my gun, maybe get it to the gunsmith in a week or two, and then when they get it back from him, maybe remember to call me to come and pick it up, and I won't get to talk to the smith directly. But, if I use the yellow pages and find the smith myself, I choose which one to work with. I decide when to drop off and pick up, I talk to the gunsmith face to face, show him what I want, get his take on it, and things are smoother and more direct. Would you rather go with Plan A, or Plan B?

My LGS has some accessories in stock. Some. That's great, but it limits my selection to their small inventory, which is pathetic compared with what I can research and find online. I did that a few times in the "early days" - bought something that the LGS had in the store, and then found that there was something better for my purpose AND cheaper that I could have bought online.

I bought an AR-15, found out it had a defective hammer right from the factory. Called around, and not a single LGS had an AR-15 hammer. A couple of them had a complete lower kit for $90, but nobody wanted to sell me a $20 hammer. I can get one online though.

So can they order stuff for me? Sure! But they wait until they have a big batch of stuff to order to save on shipping (a savings they don't pass on to me), so I have to wait for them to place the order, and then wait for them to get around to calling me when it arrives, or risk irritating them by calling repeatedly to ask if stuff has arrived or if they've even ordered it yet.

So what does my LGS have to offer that can't be done better elsewhere? Great customer service? Perhaps, until they can't get the gun with the features I want, so they pressure me to buy one with features I don't want for $300 more, and then get pissed at me when I buy what I wanted, at the price I wanted, elsewhere.

I'm not saying all LGSs have these problem, but most do in varying degrees. I _am_ saying it's pretty near-sighted to talk down to people who choose to buy things where the price and availability is good when they are faced with the negative aspects that many LGSs present.

MW surveyor
02-28-2012, 02:30 PM

With the exception of my Walther P22 that has a pretty limited warranty service, all my gun makers either have a good customer service and warranty (some are life time). As Scoundrel said, if I either need a part or just want to tinker with any of my guns, I can always order online. With only one exception in my area, none of the LGS around me carry any parts that I might want and that one will order a part for me and usually have it for me the next day or two. Often at the same price as the online supplier and without any shipping charges.

Since I reload the majority of my ammo (everything except 22 lr) I do not have to buy from one source for ammo. I do not think that the majority of the gun shops make the majority of their overhead in ammo sales but do like to get you to pay a premium price.

jocko
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
I buy my ammo where everit is cheape rin price. I findit very hard to beat wal mart wwb 9mm 100 pak, so that is where I shop. If I need gun service, the first thing I do is see if the factory will fix it for me or if there is warranty, then for sure the factory. I have no issues wit private smitty's. Just know ur smitty, anyone can hand a shinkle ouotside their garage and draw in business. Do ur homework befrore u send a gun anywhere to.

wyntrout
02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
+1, Scoundrel. I did buy my XD45 from the shop/range that I use. The price wasn't particularly great, but it is a nice used gun and there has to be some good relations in the purchase.

I use their range ammo kind of rarely, but I've had no problem with it and it's pretty stout... the .45 from AAA... Atlanta something... 230-gr Totally Clad Bullets... was $17 a box... haven't looked recently. I've bought two cases of .45 FMJ... S&B for $14.99 a box with free shipping from Cabela's, and Blazer Aluminum-cased for $13.99 a box+$26 shipped... got that today from Palmetto State Armory.

My son's coming in tomorrow and we'll probably shoot a few hundred rounds each... all .45's, I'm sure. Wifey may even go and shoot her H&R 929... her "head-of-the-bed gun". She's more used to revolvers... 20 years in the USAF.

Wynn:)

TheTman
02-28-2012, 04:10 PM
I buy most of my plinking ammo at Wally World, mostly WWB, Once in awhile Federal when they have it. As far as being dirty, it's kind of middle of the road, I've shot a lot dirtier, and a lot cleaner, but never had a pistol stop functioning because it fouled, but I rarely shoot more than a couple boxes of it at a time, and clean them when I get home.