PDA

View Full Version : K9 initial break-in report card

tilefish
02-26-2012, 01:37 PM
I give it an A+

I took the new K9 to the range today for break-in. In short, this one nice shooting, accurate little gun.

I put 450 rounds down the pipe today and I had not so much as one single hiccup. The majority of the ammo was UMC 115 grain, I also ran a box of Federal Champion and even a few 147 grain JHP rounds. Everything ran through perfectly.

I think the problem for some people is that the gun ships so packed full of grease and grit from the machining process. I can see having serious issues trying to shoot it after just a basic field strip/cleaning. Mine felt like it had sand in the firing pin block and trigger. I tried following the stickys for prep, I tried canned air and cleaning sprays as suggested but there was no way to get it thoroughly clean. As such, I detail stripped the slide and gave it a thorough cleaning/lube.
I am not sure if they all ship this gummed up, but mine was gummed up to the point of absurdity. To be honest, I could see a new shooter or someone that was not comfortable detail stripping having a lot of problems and being quite frustrated with this gun. But hey, I am not that guy so it worked out for me lol.

Tinman507
02-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Darn, I was hoping your maiden voyage was gonna be a flop and I would have to play hero and take it off your hands at fire sale prices. :D

I absolutely want a K9. Glad you were knowledgable enough to fully strip it down and clean it up. Good luck with that one .

nexed
02-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Tinman i don't know how far you are from new york since i see your from PA but maybe you should take a trip to NY. a lot of gun dealers right out of NYC have a lot of KAhr K9 NYPD trade ins thats where i got mine and there are very good priced since they have so many because of the change in policy.

Tinman507
02-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for that tip. I'm 90 mins or so from the Big Apple. Might have to take a road trip.

jocko
02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
I give it an A+

I took the new K9 to the range today for break-in. In short, this one nice shooting, accurate little gun.

I put 450 rounds down the pipe today and I had not so much as one single hiccup. The majority of the ammo was UMC 115 grain, I also ran a box of Federal Champion and even a few 147 grain JHP rounds. Everything ran through perfectly.

I think the problem for some people is that the gun ships so packed full of grease and grit from the machining process. I can see having serious issues trying to shoot it after just a basic field strip/cleaning. Mine felt like it had sand in the firing pin block and trigger. I tried following the stickys for prep, I tried canned air and cleaning sprays as suggested but there was no way to get it thoroughly clean. As such, I detail stripped the slide and gave it a thorough cleaning/lube.
I am not sure if they all ship this gummed up, but mine was gummed up to the point of absurdity. To be honest, I could see a new shooter or someone that was not comfortable detail stripping having a lot of problems and being quite frustrated with this gun. But hey, I am not that guy so it worked out for me lol.

u did the right thing with such a dirty ass gun, cleaning that striker channel is a must. i HAVE BEEN TOLD ALL NEW KAHRS ARE CLEANED AFTER SHOOTING THEM AT THE FACTORY, SO MUCH FOR THAT b. s. nice psot to that is alot of rounds at one shoooting to.

tilefish
02-26-2012, 06:43 PM
u did the right thing with such a dirty ass gun, cleaning that striker channel is a must. i HAVE BEEN TOLD ALL NEW KAHRS ARE CLEANED AFTER SHOOTING THEM AT THE FACTORY, SO MUCH FOR THAT b. s. nice psot to that is alot of rounds at one shoooting to.

Lol, it was definitely not cleaned. Everything, and I mean everything was gunked up. Even the tiny little spring under the firing pin block was caked with crud.

tilefish
02-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Darn, I was hoping your maiden voyage was gonna be a flop and I would have to play hero and take it off your hands at fire sale prices. :D

I absolutely want a K9. Glad you were knowledgable enough to fully strip it down and clean it up. Good luck with that one .

I am not all that knowledgeable a bout Kahrs, this is my first one. There are few tutorials you can follow and then there is always Youtube if you get in a bind and can't figure out what to do. It is a fairly simple process to detail strip the slide.

Bawanna
02-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Was that brand new or a NYPD turn in? I suspect they will be all over the internet. Bud's and Gunbroker will have them listed. No need for a road trip.

tilefish
02-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Mine was brand spankin' new. Its the Elite 03'

tilefish
03-05-2012, 01:41 PM
I put another couple hundred flawless rounds through it today. I am really liking this little gun.